Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #1

How many drive to DE days on DOT race rubber?

I'm curious if this is a common practice for those of us that don't currently have a trailer.
Thanks,
Mike

Mcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
I have been driving to the track on Dot R compounds for 5 years. NT-01 or RA1 can be driven to and from the track so no trailer needed. If I were only running DEs and not competing in Time Trials, I would probably stick with Hankook RS3 tires. The lap time difference is not that much and they are better all around street/track tires.

I do have a few friends who always trailer their car and roll out a fresh set of R6 Hoosiers for every DE day. $1600 in tires poof gone! More money than brains I guess.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #3

That's kind of funny, a DE isn't even a competitive event. I don't even have new tires for most SCCA regionals.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #4

i drive to & from the track on NT-01's. no real issue unless it's pouring out. i have friends that attach a trailer hitch to the boxster. the trick setup is one of these harbor freight trailers modified to hold a set of tires & some tools.

Heavy Duty Utility Trailer - 870 Lb. Capacity

for a few hundred bucks, you can have a pretty nice solution.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Driving to events on DOT tires like Nitto NT-01, Toyo R888, or Toyo RA1 is very common. The drive to/from the track does not heat the tire enough to count as a heat cycle and the miles do not wear the tire enough to make any difference in their track life. I've driven all over Cali on my track tires including LA to Laguna Seca; 3 days of time trials; and back to LA on the same set of NT-01's. Just don't get caught in the rain because they will hydroplane in an instant.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
That's kind of funny, a DE isn't even a competitive event. I don't even have new tires for most SCCA regionals.
The POC hosts a DE series called PDS (Performance Driving Series). If they are interested, drivers can compete by car class against same level cars and driver experience. End of year class winners are awarded trophies. Its a great starting series and its a lot more fun when you're keeping time against your friends. The upper level classes include GT race cars and those guys are competitive in any situation.

https://porscheclubracing.org/about/event-types/performance-driving-series/

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 05-03-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Rennzenn

Garage
Last year I drove to 20 autocross events on Nitto NT01's. like everyone else said, no worries unless it is raining. This year I'm trying to do it on Hoosier A6 tires...
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
..... a DE isn't even a competitive event. ......
Maybe you're with the wrong group?
JK, I know it's for fun ......

I go on street tires, one day I'll get some R comp's and go crazy.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #9

Garage
How far is any one driving to a DE? I drive to Autocross events there a 36 mile drive one way. The closest DE is 90 miles one way. the average for me is 200- 300 miles. So I bought a light trailer and tow my car.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 05-05-2013 at 05:07 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
How far is any one driving to a DE? I drive to Autocross events there a 36 mile drive one way. The closest DE is 90 miles one way. the average for me is 200- 300 miles. So I bought a light trailer and tow my car.
Typically varies from 20 to 350 miles depending on the track. Might drive the 700 miles to Miller Motorsports Park this fall.
1979 911 SC
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Track rat

Garage
I typically drive up to 200 miles each way on NT-01s. If going to Miller I would probably drive there on street Kooks and have someone transport tires for me at a small beer fee. Simpler and much less hassle than a trailer, tow vehicle etc.

Last edited by Topless; 05-06-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #12

I drive on Hoosiers to/from the track exclusively now. Usu 100-160 miles depending on which track I go to. I buy scrubs and am able to get 4-5 track days on the fronts and 7-8 on the rears. I do flip the tires inside out also midway (fortunate to know a Goodyear station that would do it for$15/tire).

Very lucky that I haven't had a puncture thus far, and I go about once-twice a month. Oh btw, I am referencing a corvette though.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #13

I've been driving to the track(TWS) about 140 miles away on Hankook z214 c71s for the hotter months. they are actually slower than my Hankook rs3 street tires, but don't wear as bad when it is really hot.
next time I will get some c91s or some hoosiers.
autodoctor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
SPB racer

Garage
Hmm. What am I missing here? Doesn't the extra camber needed to get your R compounds to work on the track mean that the inside edges will take a beating during street driving? This must affect the performance. In my DE days I used to tow my Rs in a little trailer behind my car and let the damage get done to less expensive and hardier street tires. Also had the advantage of ensuring I had "rain tires" if the weather turned.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #15

I have driven to DEs on R-compound tires and my biggest worry was always that I would pick up a nail or damage a tire on the street that would not allow me to drive in the event. When you consider the cost of an event, a homemade tire trailer is pretty cheap. Sadly, the cost of a hitch is a different story.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittsl View Post
Hmm. What am I missing here? Doesn't the extra camber needed to get your R compounds to work on the track mean that the inside edges will take a beating during street driving? This must affect the performance. In my DE days I used to tow my Rs in a little trailer behind my car and let the damage get done to less expensive and hardier street tires. Also had the advantage of ensuring I had "rain tires" if the weather turned.
In theory, the high negative camber would definitely wear the inside edges of the tire if you drove the tires exclusively on the street. But if you are tracking the car, an r-compound tire wears so fast on the race track that the street miles aren't really a significant factor.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 06-07-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittsl View Post
Jitts,

A street car/TT/DE car is inherently a series of compromises. We run with no cage and full interior, less negative camber than BSR cars, and wear only the tires we think we can get home on. It is the same way it was done back in the height of sportscar racing. Drive to the track, unload, go race, drive home. It is a compromise by design.

In spite of all these compromises we still manage to have a good time. And not having to own and maintain a full size tow vehicle, trailer, and all the "stuff" that goes to the track along with it has it's rewards. A few of these old guys in fully dressed out 300 excess lb, soft top, compromised setup, air conditioned, tire shredding BSX cars even manage to turn lap times that are mid-pack BSR. Who knew?

How it was done in the old days:
RETROSPECTIVE>>ROAD RACING AT POMONA - Speedhunters
Old 06-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
SPB racer

Garage
Loved the retrospective photos. May be time that PCA (or whoever) introduced a new class open only to (legally) street registered cars that are driven to the track. These days of 18 wheelers and crews of 6 and small cities built to support "club racers" sometimes has me wondering if we missed the point.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite View Post
i drive to & from the track on NT-01's. no real issue unless it's pouring out. i have friends that attach a trailer hitch to the boxster. the trick setup is one of these harbor freight trailers modified to hold a set of tires & some tools.

Heavy Duty Utility Trailer - 870 Lb. Capacity

for a few hundred bucks, you can have a pretty nice solution.
Its a good idea, but don't forget the generator, fridge and air compressor for that trailer as well.

You'll be the most popular guy at the event.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote