Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #21
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Where does this stop? The way I see it is that, unless you are going to dedicate a car exclusively to racing, worrying about the weight of wipers and small items borders on "automotive anorexia". You can remove everything from the car except essential items (including gallons of gas not needed for a specific run) but in the end, unless the car is a dedicated racer, you just have a stripped Boxster.
What's wrong with a stripped Boxster? I'd love a manual roof and more engine noise. Get the car light enough and it no longer needs the power steering that disconnects you from the road, you don't need the huge heavy tires and the lower mass makes the chassis and brakes more communicative as well. It not only makes the car faster, it makes it more fun in general.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-07-2011 at 07:47 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #22
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite View Post
wow; that's big power. is that on race fuel?

correct me if i'm wrong, but it SOUNDS like you're saying i can dyno it here w/ data logging and have someone in a different state modify my program?
It'll take forever to optimize it that way with all the back and forth of programs and trips to the dyno.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
It'll take forever to optimize it that way with all the back and forth of programs and trips to the dyno.
that's what i figured. w/ our forumula SAE setup in the mid 90's, we used an engine dyno room for HOURS to get a program dialed in. didn't know if there was some new tech that sped up the process.....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #24

Correct on the dyno run locally, ship computer to tuner. It sounds like you did a nice job. 99% of the conversions that end up on my doorstep are poorly executed and the customer ends up disappointed

I can fix that

I'll be test fitting a new airbox that uses a stock Porsche filter next week (in a 986) I know it supports 300hp stock.. and it appears to bolt in

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #25

Quote:
One trip to a GOOD dyno (4 passes max) and a good tuner will see everything he needs to know. I recently was informed of another person local to me who popped for the 8k software. he is making good power with a "generic flash" for the 3.4 computers. Price was good also!

The tuner just needs good 02 readings!

B
Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #26
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
One trip to a GOOD dyno (4 passes max) and a good tuner will see everything he needs to know. I recently was informed of another person local to me who popped for the 8k software. he is making good power with a "generic flash" for the 3.4 computers. Price was good also!

The tuner just needs good 02 readings!

B
It's an iterative process. No tuner gets it right on the first run. Plus, that's only WOT, there are hours and hours of driveability tuning in addition to multiple dyno runs.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #27

Depends on the dyno, dyno operator and tuner. The good tuners will have maps that they start from.

We did a CaymanS.. we started with the more aggressive 3.6 STOCK tune. Pushed it to the car and then detuned the fuel as needed. Drives like no other CaymanS we have driven. Cam Timing was spot on. Took us 6 pulls total. Rolled it out onto the street and roasted the tires.

We are not tuning a fresh Motec/AEM/Bosch brain here (which can takes days) Porsche didn't leave 100hp on the table for all the engines!

B
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #28
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Depends on the dyno, dyno operator and tuner. The good tuners will have maps that they start from.

We did a CaymanS.. we started with the more aggressive 3.6 STOCK tune. Pushed it to the car and then detuned the fuel as needed. Drives like no other CaymanS we have driven. Cam Timing was spot on. Took us 6 pulls total. Rolled it out onto the street and roasted the tires.

We are not tuning a fresh Motec/AEM/Bosch brain here (which can takes days) Porsche didn't leave 100hp on the table for all the engines!

B
6 runs though, trying to do it remotely would take a long time.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #29

6 pulls because he didn't have a base "hot rod" tune for the CaymanS engine. He does now

I hear you, but a LOT of "tuners" do it this way.. a LOT.

GIAC
AWE
Softronic
just to name a few..

You buy their hardware and you down load generic tunes based on the mods you list. Want something custom.. they modify a tune they already have and email it to you. Push it to the car.. do a pull.. make change push it again.. make change push it again

Find someone who can download the stock tune from the car, make the changes and push it back without having to email back and forth with the "real tuner"

Those guy's are rare, but when you find them, they have really good base tunes for most of the stock displacement/stock cam'd engines, so 4 pulls and a good 02 reading is not far fetched. The guy I use pulls from a large database out of Italy. Sometimes we try a tune that is already modified, then modify it to work with our car.

There are really good Porsche tuners out there, but they are not typically on the web and they are not typically easy to get a hold of (they are busy)

B
Old 11-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #30

anyone removed their power steering? fill the rack with fluid and loop the in into the out? save a few lbs, gain a few hp?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:22 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
anyone removed their power steering? fill the rack with fluid and loop the in into the out? save a few lbs, gain a few hp?
hadn't really considered it...

i am thinking about removing one of the radiator fan assemblies, though.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #32

My engine bay insulation is starting peel off at the top opening. Is the same material that you pulled out? I am surprised that this came to forty pounds!!! Can get it all out with the engine in? Did you notice a big change in noise? I sometimes run with no storage box and no engine cover insulation. You hear everything....vibrating and buzzing

Quote:
you got a lot of the low hanging fruit.

you mentioned carpets; the sound deadening around the engine is HUGE (35lb+); it's 8" thick in some parts.

cat bypass pipes save 20lb over the OEM cat pipes.

racing muffler saves 45lb over OEM

(precision chassis works sells a BSR legal header back exhaust system that weights only 17lbs. the OEM is close to 90lb)

AC was much lighter than i thought it would be. 15lb for the compressor, 5lb each for the condensers & 4lb for the tubing (29lb total).

you mentioned the convertible top & all its 'stuff'. did you get the transmissions out? they're HEAVY.

obviously speakers & stereo stuff

side airbags = 5lb each
passenber airbag = 10lb
steering wheel / airbag = 12lb (if you install a racing wheel instead)

it's a slippery slope.....
Old 11-04-2011, 05:36 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
My engine bay insulation is starting peel off at the top opening. Is the same material that you pulled out? I am surprised that this came to forty pounds!!! Can get it all out with the engine in? Did you notice a big change in noise? I sometimes run with no storage box and no engine cover insulation. You hear everything....vibrating and buzzing
NO! that stuff is pretty light. the material i'm talking about goes around the sides of the engine hatch, on top of the hatch, and behind the seats. it's VERY thick; it's made of the same stuff the engine hatch insulation is made of. extremely dense & heavy.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:53 AM   #34

anyone know what the ebrake system weights? lever, shoes, springs, cams & cables?

Old 11-04-2011, 05:58 AM   #35

Ah the beige foam like the monster slab inside the cabin?? They put that down the sides of the engine bay as well?

Yeah that stuff could stop a bullet!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Ah the beige foam like the monster slab inside the cabin?? They put that down the sides of the engine bay as well?

Yeah that stuff could stop a bullet!

yes! it's actually over 8" thick in some spots. once you pull it out, you can clearly see the air intake / exit ducts that go to the inlets on the sides of the car.

without it, it's louder, but really isn't that bad IMO. still passes the wife test; admittedly my wife has a pretty high tolerance for NVH though....

Old 11-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #37
Porscheectomy

Quote:
yes! it's actually over 8" thick in some spots. once you pull it out, you can clearly see the air intake / exit ducts that go to the inlets on the sides of the car.

without it, it's louder, but really isn't that bad IMO. still passes the wife test; admittedly my wife has a pretty high tolerance for NVH though....
How is it held in? Can you put it back in later?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #38

it's glued down. to get it out, you will more or less rip it apart.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #39
Porscheectomy

Quote:
it's glued down. to get it out, you will more or less rip it apart.
I suppose I shouldn't care, but I always get a little nervous when I make an irreversible change.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #40
Matt

So Brad, where are the tuners? Everyone who tunes, I'm sure, thinks they are the bomb. So where's one to go to be sure he's getting what he's paying for?

MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote