Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 189
In Honor of Veterans Day...

...and recently relocated to the state of Tennessee, it was a beautiful day here today so I decided to do some exploring with the Box and checked out the Stones River National Battlefield which was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War. It was an interesting and humbling place. Unbelievable how they used to fight wars! Anyway, just happened to get a couple of pics:




__________________
Jump
Silver 2002 S
http://homepage.mac.com/doug_schweig...ata/pcar-1.jpg
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Thumbs up

Thanks to ALL the veterans who have contributed to keep America safe!
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mid-Michigan
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump
...and recently relocated to the state of Tennessee, it was a beautiful day here today so I decided to do some exploring with the Box and checked out the Stones River National Battlefield which was one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War. It was an interesting and humbling place. Unbelievable how they used to fight wars! Anyway, just happened to get a couple of pics:


_________________________________
As the saying goes: war never solves anything. . . .except slavery, fascism and communism.

Boy, can't wait to see the responses to this. Bring em on.
__________________
2000 Arctic Silver Boxster
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Annapolis Maryland
Posts: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsquire
As the saying goes: war never solves anything. . . .except slavery, fascism and communism.

Boy, can't wait to see the responses to this. Bring em on.

The person who said "violence never solved anything" was an imbecile.
__________________
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...izzlysmall.jpg
'97 986
Cheating Death on 19" Wheels
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Talking

Hey, when Hitler was killed, it certainly solved ONE problem.
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mid-Michigan
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Hey, when Hitler was killed, it certainly solved ONE problem.
__________________________

So much for "never" solves anything.
__________________
2000 Arctic Silver Boxster
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Hey, when Hitler was killed, it certainly solved ONE problem.

Hi,

Point of information - Hitler was not killed. Faced with immanent capture by the Russians, Hitler killed himself with Cyanide and a simultaneous Bullet to the Brain on April 30, 1945 (Germany surrendered to the Allies on May 7, 1945).

War is an awful thing, nothing to be heralded or celebrated, no matter how Good the cause is seen. The perspective of Citizens, Poiliticians, and Military Strategists, differs vastly from those actually manning the Front. The former fight for Ideals, while the latter usually fight for the sake of their fellow combatants, their Brothers in Arms, as it were.

Historians are starting to agree that all conflicts in the 20th Century are really only an extension of World War I (or more appropriately a failure of the Peace of World War I).

The Map of the World today was plotted by the British, including the Middle East, when the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires were broken up after WWI. Most cultural and religious differences were ignored when these new lines were drawn on the map. But, these very real issues could not be erased and continue to try and assert themselves to this day.

I salute all fellow veterans, not for preserving or winning anything, but for simply going out of a loyalty to their fellow citizens and nation. My only hope is that some day, there will be no more Veterans to salute at all, that we find a better way to all share this Rock...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
f*ck war. i hate everything about it, too many relatives and family members and friends died during the war in bosnia and serbia while i was still there. total BS

after all the people died protecting their land, it was signed off on a paper. wtf
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Annapolis Maryland
Posts: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
...the latter usually fight for the sake of their fellow combatants, their Brothers in Arms, as it were...
Jim, you hit that one right on the head. Though not a soldier, I am as close as it gets. The very reason I go every day is to look out for those who look out for you. The big picture of why we're doing what we're doing is of little consequence to me. I am an instrument, and my most pressing personal goal is to ensure that those who are with me go home when we're done.
__________________
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...izzlysmall.jpg
'97 986
Cheating Death on 19" Wheels
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Point of information - Hitler was not killed. Faced with immanent capture by the Russians, Hitler killed himself with Cyanide and a simultaneous Bullet to the Brain on April 30, 1945 (Germany surrendered to the Allies on May 7, 1945).

War is an awful thing, nothing to be heralded or celebrated, no matter how Good the cause is seen. The perspective of Citizens, Poiliticians, and Military Strategists, differs vastly from those actually manning the Front. The former fight for Ideals, while the latter usually fight for the sake of their fellow combatants, their Brothers in Arms, as it were.

Historians are starting to agree that all conflicts in the 20th Century are really only an extension of World War I (or more appropriately a failure of the Peace of World War I).

The Map of the World today was plotted by the British, including the Middle East, when the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires were broken up after WWI. Most cultural and religious differences were ignored when these new lines were drawn on the map. But, these very real issues could not be erased and continue to try and assert themselves to this day.

I salute all fellow veterans, not for preserving or winning anything, but for simply going out of a loyalty to their fellow citizens and nation. My only hope is that some day, there will be no more Veterans to salute at all, that we find a better way to all share this Rock...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
I do know that Hitler was reputed to have commited suicide. I do think it was only because he was about to have his brains bombed into the infinite.

Which would have been fine too.

My dad was WW2 vet. Most admirable thing he ever did!

God bless Dad, wherever you are!

And thanks to ALL veterans on this special day,.
__________________
Rich Belloff


Last edited by Brucelee; 11-11-2006 at 07:33 PM.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: mid-Michigan
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Point of information - Hitler was not killed. Faced with immanent capture by the Russians, Hitler killed himself with Cyanide and a simultaneous Bullet to the Brain on April 30, 1945 (Germany surrendered to the Allies on May 7, 1945).

War is an awful thing, nothing to be heralded or celebrated, no matter how Good the cause is seen. The perspective of Citizens, Poiliticians, and Military Strategists, differs vastly from those actually manning the Front. The former fight for Ideals, while the latter usually fight for the sake of their fellow combatants, their Brothers in Arms, as it were.

Historians are starting to agree that all conflicts in the 20th Century are really only an extension of World War I (or more appropriately a failure of the Peace of World War I).

The Map of the World today was plotted by the British, including the Middle East, when the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires were broken up after WWI. Most cultural and religious differences were ignored when these new lines were drawn on the map. But, these very real issues could not be erased and continue to try and assert themselves to this day.

I salute all fellow veterans, not for preserving or winning anything, but for simply going out of a loyalty to their fellow citizens and nation. My only hope is that some day, there will be no more Veterans to salute at all, that we find a better way to all share this Rock...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
________________________________
Ok if we're going to be technical let's get it right. Hitler was killed, he just killed himself.
Another point of information on your point of information and another saying as it goes: If it's not war it's genocide.
___________________
By the way, thanks Griz for whatever it is you do, and thanks to all other vets out there, including many former colleagues who are currently serving.
__________________
2000 Arctic Silver Boxster
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Annapolis Maryland
Posts: 1,528
"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms. It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die." ~G.K. Chesterton

God bless all of them.
__________________
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...izzlysmall.jpg
'97 986
Cheating Death on 19" Wheels
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:46 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: chicago
Posts: 3,510
Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i appreciate all the guys who put their lives on a line for their country...
__________________
http://i34.tinypic.com/157yslk.jpg
"I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself." ~F. Porsche
Gemballa springs::litronics::Eurotech 18s(275/225)::B&M::MOMO wheel::
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page

Last edited by Brucelee; 11-12-2006 at 08:55 AM.
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:48 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA.
Posts: 1,359
they still fought the war for us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
i appreciate all the guys who put their lives on a line for their country..

Last edited by Brucelee; 11-12-2006 at 08:58 AM.
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:57 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Smile

We are not going down the Iraq war tunnel this weekend.

Our Vets deserve better from us this weekend, and always.

Please show a little self-control here!
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:03 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA.
Posts: 1,359
Thumbs up

bruce, what happen to my comment? it wasn't like this...it got cut off or something?
what i have said is "out of loyalty or not, they still fought the war for us! i myself have my 110% of respect from all of them. few of our church members in our college group are somewhere out there for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
they still fought the war for us...
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:59 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 189
Wow! All I wanted was to share pictures of my Car
__________________
Jump
Silver 2002 S
http://homepage.mac.com/doug_schweig...ata/pcar-1.jpg
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:15 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Brucelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 8,083
Smile

I edited several posts to keep the politics out of the salute to our troops.

Sorry if I changed the meaning around.

Thanks for your understanding. I think the last thing the Vets need today is more politics.
__________________
Rich Belloff

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA.
Posts: 1,359
totally understand, bruce! thanks for monitoring and keeping politics out of it....
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,236
Wow Grizzly, you quoted Chesterton. Every read his books? That guy had a lot of great individual quotes, but he was quite dogmatic. One of my favorite dogmatic Chesterton quotes is:

"Tolerance is a virtue for those who have no conviction"

God bless our troops. Past, present and future.

__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page