Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
could repeated coolant tank replacements be due to the porous engine block problem on 97-99's?
Hi,

Totally unrelated. The early Coolant Tanks were made of a plastic which did not Heat Cycle very well. After a time, they developed cracks allowing the Coolant to leak. This part has since been upgraded.

The Porous engine block issue is gaining popularity as an Urban Myth.

True, some engines suffered Oil, not Coolant, seeping through the cast blocks, but only '98 into the early '99 model run. This was due to a casting error by the supplier of Porsche's Blocks - Kolbenschmidt AG, where the Alloy was injected too quickly into the mold to allow all the air to escape. This allowed air pockets to form within the casting itself. All cast metals are porous to some degree, but with these air pockets, Oil would actually seep to the outside of the block. These have all been found and replaced, they just don't exist anymore...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #22

When I got out of the Army in '94, I bought a '74 911 for $6k. I thought I made the best deal of my life, but before I graduated from college, I had to sell the car at a huge loss and was selling my plasma to buy food- that thing had bled me dry (literally).

Still, when it ran - sigh, it was the most wonderful car I ever owned. Yeah I learned a lesson I guess, but I wouldn't trade the experience for the money I spent. It was a wonderful vehicle.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #23

Im glad you got a good deal, when I bought my Boxster I never heard of PPI does that mean I got a bad deal? There are a lot of pessimists on this site and thats a fact!
Old 11-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #24

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Im glad you got a good deal, when I bought my Boxster I never heard of PPI does that mean I got a bad deal? There are a lot of pessimists on this site and thats a fact!
Realists, I would say. It DOES NOT mean that he got a bad deal. It MAY mean that he got a horrible deal. If you not sure what we mean, you are not reading the posts here from folks who did not do a PPI BEFORE purchasing.

Simply email Randall and ask him to recount his story.

A PPI is no guarantee, it simply helps avoid known problems, that can take a $15K to a $25K car very very quickly!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

have all been found and replaced, they just don't exist anymore...

All?? a guy in my office was selling a 98 for his buddy and the thing only had 18,000 miles. Did Porsche really replace all these swiss cheese blocks? Or did they
say "you guys with Lot#9334&%@# engines should come in" and how many actually did this? Someone asked me if I thought the car was a good deal and I said to looke for a 2.7 or 3.2 if you can afford it.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
All?? a guy in my office was selling a 98 for his buddy and the thing only had 18,000 miles. Did Porsche really replace all these swiss cheese blocks? Or did they
say "you guys with Lot#9334&%@# engines should come in" and how many actually did this? Someone asked me if I thought the car was a good deal and I said to looke for a 2.7 or 3.2 if you can afford it.

Hi,

There was a pretty small % of cars affected, and Porsche did recall them all. They were distributed worldwide, they didn't all come here. If a '98 had 18k on it, it was most likely past the point of failure, they usually failed in under 4k mi...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:44 PM   #27

I love my warranty

I also love heckling car salesmen for $$$

You should be proud of your purchase - you just bought an awesome ride.

But I love my warranty............

Yea - yea - I know..... "You can stick your head up a butchers a$$......."

Thanks - but no thanks, Tommy Boy

- C5150
Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninma1
Ok so I found a 99 box with 38k miles on it on autotrader for 16,988.... I then called and asked about it and where it was located (jacksonville) and for pics and a carfax.

After everything came up clean I told them the add said it was 15,988 knowing it really said 16,988 but I called their bluff just to see if theyd cave. They did.

So I get to jacksonville 4 days later after sending them a deposit to find the car wont start. No nothing. Turns out to be fault ignition switch and i spend 2 more days there and tell them ill pay 15k or ill leave.

They sold it to me for 15 k. Its clean as hell. I have a crappy pic of it. It also has a new top.
Kelly Blue Book trade in for this car is $14,150. I think you got a pretty good deal !

Welcome to the forum...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote