Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2006, 07:42 PM   #1

Non Boxster Porsche Owner

So I took my wife for a drive this wekend @ Pebble Beach/17 mi. drive, Monterey, CA. and the weather is not bad at all..it was an awesome day but i got one thing to say for the Porsche's Turbo (3 of them) & Cayman S (2 of them) owner that I saw while driving...do you guy's have to act like your full of it , I mean is there a rule in the book, somewhere, that once you've own a high end Porsche, you have to act like the rest are a 3rd class citizen :troll: . I mean If they said hi or flash their light to you guy's, acknowledge them too....

other than that, i have a wonderful day with my wife of 18 years, who gave me 3 wonderful kids (19, 15, 7)

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:13 PM   #2

Hey Gerry.

Glad you had a good drive. Dont mind them, some ppl are just dick, rich or poor.

See you at the driving clinic man !! ITS ONLY 1 WEEK AWAY !!
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6
Hey Gerry.

Glad you had a good drive. Dont mind them, some ppl are just dick, rich or poor.

See you at the driving clinic man !! ITS ONLY 1 WEEK AWAY !!

fasho....

let me know if you want to convoy on the way there..coo!
Old 10-16-2006, 04:15 AM   #4

From my short experience of Porsche ownership (6mths) and a few PCA events I've attended, people who enjoy the Porsche experience and love sharing it with others are the ones that will respond with a greeting, regardless of what Porsche they're driving. These people are the ones you'll usually meet at a local PCA event and usually, they're the ones who know how to drive and appreciate their cars, know the differences between the models, and love them all. The greeting is an acknowledgment of a bond between people "in the know".

Then there are Porsche owners who just happen to end up in a Porsche as one of the "luxury automobiles", perhaps ONLY because Aston Martin may have stretched their monthly budgets beyond bursting. They do not understand the "in the know" connection and interpret the greet as a wannabee's attempt to mingle with them in the "luxury automobile" world -- with something that doesn't even qualify as a "luxury automobile"! Like an imposter at the country club for which they've paid a hefty membership fee! Those may not greet back, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over them.

So it's neither the model nor the owner's affluence. As mentioned before on this thread, some people are just dicks.

Z.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:23 AM   #5

"Porsche's Turbo (3 of them) & Cayman S (2 of them) owner that I saw while driving...do you guy's have to act like your full of it"

****correction****
What I meant on this comment was, those guy's that I've seen driving that day...I am not saying this for Porsche owner in general. I apologize for the confusion

It just tick me off that day and vent it out last night @ this forum :ah:
Old 10-16-2006, 06:42 AM   #6

"What I meant on this comment was, those guy's that I've seen driving that day...I am not saying this for Porsche owner in general. I apologize for the confusion"

No confusion on my part. I understood what you said. Perhaps I wasn't clear in expressing my agreement -- with a slight caveat that it's not the price of the car or the person's affluence that makes them act "full of it". Some people just are.

Z.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:54 AM   #7

totally agree with you , Z! it's not the car, it's some of the owners that make us look bad for non-porsche owners....
someone once told me that if i'm the stop light and driving my box, top down and i see a kid, face planted at the window looking at me...i should wave back or revv my engine and their respond would be priceless....i would know coz' my 7 year old always have a blast everytime, either my wife or me drive him around :dance:
Old 10-16-2006, 06:56 AM   #8

One must consider the fact that a lot of drivers are "in their own little world" while driving and don't think about much of anything except the argument they just had with their spouse, the trouble their kid is getting into while they are away, the project due at the office on Monday afternoon, etc.

This could easily explain why a new—highly aware of other Porsche drivers—Boxster owner like yourself might think he was slighted because he owns a lower cost Porsche.

I am now in my 3rd year of Boxster ownership and I can already see how I don't notice all the other Porsches on the road nearly as much as I did that first year. It's kind of normal now... although I do oooh and aaah at GT3 and Carrera GT sightings around town!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:05 AM   #9

Hi,

I dunno. The Porsche crowd here in the Twin Cities is pretty elitist.

We have an organization in the Twin Cities called the Intermarque, which is essentially a Club of Car Clubs. Everyone from the Lotus, Triumph, Healey, MG, MB, Jaguar, Alpha Romeo, Porsche, Ferrari, Saab, Citroen, Z Clubs make up the group. The individual clubs still sponsor events and drives and together the Intermarque does a Spring Show, a Summer Show, Summer Drive, an annual visit to the Wheels & Wings Show in Oceola, WI at MotorBooks Int'l., and produces a monthly newsletter. I have been involved with Intermarque for 20 years.

But, the Porsche guys rarely attend or invite others to their events, they're pretty standoffish. Of course, there are some great guys in every group, but as a group, the Porsche guys are the least friendly, much less than any other group including the Ferrari guys (who are really great BTW).

I am a member of PCA and Nord Stern (local chapter), but after going to a get acquainted as a new member last year, I was so turned off that I haven't participated in anything else with them. I keep the memberships for Insurance purposes...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-16-2006 at 07:09 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:06 AM   #10

Randall, you're right.
My (overly positive) experiences of greeting and being greeted back may come from the the fact that I only drive my Box at times and places (weekends in the country, usually sunny) where it is very likely that every other Porsche on the road is on a joy ride -- just like myself. The story may be very different if I commuted with it every day in a lot of traffic day in and day out. Then perhaps my expectations would be lowered fast. Good point.

Z.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:10 AM   #11

I see what you are saying..coz' I don't notice that when I drive my Villager for 5 years...hahahahahaha! I meant notice other Villager drivers

of course GT3 and CGT...oooh and aaahhhh all the way till i get home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
One must consider the fact that a lot of drivers are "in their own little world" while driving and don't think about much of anything except the argument they just had with their spouse, the trouble their kid is getting into while they are away, the project due at the office on Monday afternoon, etc.

This could easily explain why a new—highly aware of other Porsche drivers—Boxster owner like yourself might think he was slighted because he owns a lower cost Porsche.

I am now in my 3rd year of Boxster ownership and I can already see how I don't notice all the other Porsches on the road nearly as much as I did that first year. It's kind of normal now... although I do oooh and aaah at GT3 and Carrera GT sightings around town!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:13 AM   #12

"But, the Porsche guys rarely attend or invite others to their events, they're pretty standoffish."

Jim, it must be purely random and locally dependent. My feeling is that there's a core group of people in every local chapter that set the tone at the beginning for all of the region's events. Then that positive vibe infects the rest, including the new members, so the torch gets carried through years. It's the same with every other organization.

Z.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #13

Here in Houston, a number of the 911's are owned by high income individuals and it's just another car to them... not to offend any doctors or lawyers on this forum, btw!

As far as my town goes, I think it comes down to enthusiasts versus consumer drivers for the lack of a better term.

Jim, as far as Ferrari guys go, if you don't own one they won't give you the time of day if you ask about their car or just tell them you think its a great ride.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 10-16-2006 at 07:19 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote