Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Mailing it in wouldn't be a bad option, I guess. How much is a new 1/2" extension vs. the price of postage?

If they didn't benefit from the original purchase, it's hard to hold them responsible for the warranty. So I can't say I blame them for that. But hopefully they will, in fact, accept warranties for the ones they sold. But then you'd probably have to produce a receipt, whereas you never had to when Sears had them.
Not worth my time to mail it. It sits in my tool box at work... broken.

Shouldn't have bought the brand if you couldn't accept the responsibility. Craftsman has always had a premium price; that price should reflect the service. I shouldn't have to keep track of receipts for all my tools for the higher price. Just like I expect the Snap on man to show up and prostrate himself before me.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #22
Who's askin'?

I'm with Q here: you buy the brand, you buy the liability. They wanted the benefit of the brand, but not the liability? That's B.S.

Ther brand's worth nothing if you don't honor the brand's commitments.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I'm with Q here: you buy the brand, you buy the liability. They wanted the benefit of the brand, but not the liability? That's B.S.

Ther brand's worth nothing if you don't honor the brand's commitments.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Yeah, I get that side of the argument, too. I have some craftsman tools and it would be nice to just walk into a store with a broken tool and walk out with a new one like I used to be able to do.

Having said that, if Lowe's wouldn't carry it, most likely the brand would have died altogether.

Frankly, I don't understand why they even bothered to carry it. Craftsman was Craftsman because it was the first and only consumer brand to offer a lifetime replacement guarantee. Now, most brands have the same offer. So it's not the brand it used to be, and it doesn't have the loyalty it used to have.

Lowe's is probably not going to see much benefit from it, It's actually competing with it's own Kobalt brand, so really I don't see their logic here.

So, I can forgive Lowe's for not honoring the warrantee for tools they didn't sell. But they're keeping the brand alive, so at least we still have a place to mail in for a replacement. Just my 2 cents. And I respect your side as well.

Last edited by piper6909; 04-03-2020 at 03:22 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Yeah, I get that side of the argument, too. I have some craftsman tools and it would be nice to just walk into a store with a broken tool and walk out with a new one like I used to be able to do.

Having said that, if Lowe's wouldn't carry it, most likely the brand would have died altogether.

Frankly, I don't understand why they even bothered to carry it. Craftsman was Craftsman because it was the first and only consumer brand to offer a lifetime replacement guarantee. Now, most brands have the same offer. So it's not the brand it used to be, and it doesn't have the loyalty it used to have.

Lowe's is probably not going to see much benefit from it, It's actually competing with it's own Kobalt brand, so really I don't see their logic here.

So, I can forgive Lowe's for not honoring the warrantee for tools they didn't sell. But they're keeping the brand alive, so at least we still have a place to mail in for a replacement. Just my 2 cents. And I respect your side as well.
Your problem is when did you buy your Craftsman tool? The Craftsman brand was sold to Stanley tools sometime ago, which is why Lowes and other outlets like Ace hardware now carry the brand. I'm sure Stanley made the purchase without any responsibility for warranties issued by Sears. And long before Sears sold the brand, the entire Craftsman line had turned to Asian junk, so they want no parts of what happened before they bought the line.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:30 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Your problem is when did you buy your Craftsman tool? The Craftsman brand was sold to Stanley tools sometime ago, which is why Lowes and other outlets like Ace hardware now carry the brand. I'm sure Stanley made the purchase without any responsibility for warranties issued by Sears. And long before Sears sold the brand, the entire Craftsman line had turned to Asian junk, so they want no parts of what happened before they bought the line.
For clarification, I don't have a problem with it. I don't blame Lowes for not honoring the warranty for tools it didn't sell. But yes, Stanley/Black & Decker owns the right to make and sell the the brand. Lowe's just carries it. And yes, the quality has suffered over the years. As I said, the brand isn't what it used to be.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #26
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post

all of this in context, they (Stanley, or whomever else has ownership now) should've bought the company and rebranded it. That's the most common practice for someone buying a company with liabilities. And yes, any promise made by the acquired company is, in fact, a liability. I deal with this all the time in my business. Yes, it sucks to acquire a brand / business with undisclosed liabilities (Craftsman's warranty wasn't "undisclosed" though) but most companies are made-up of good people who will move heaven and earth to honor those commitments. This proves itself to be the absolute BEST thing they can do, from a marketing perspective, because people know it sucks, but they honor it anyway: Instant Brand Loyalty.

Here's MY problem with Craftsman, though. (Not too dissimilar from what you said too, JFP)
The ONLY thing Craftsman has had going for it in a very long time is the lifetime swap-out warranty. Their tools form anytime since about 1985 are just junk. Sure, it's nice to know you can take it in and trade it.... but what about when the failure happens at 7pm on a saturday at the racetrack? Or while you're laying under a car bench-pressing a transmission into place? a tool that is junk isn't worth having, regardless of how easy the warranty process is.

Just my $0.02
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #27

Sears stopped honoring torque wrench warranties long before Eddie the a-hole sold off the brand. Left mine on the counter there probably 15-20 years years ago.

The "new" craftsman provides 1yr on electric or micrometer torque wrenches. About as solid as the warranty on my kitchen garbage can liners - LOL

Old 04-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
all of this in context, they (Stanley, or whomever else has ownership now) should've bought the company and rebranded it. That's the most common practice for someone buying a company with liabilities. And yes, any promise made by the acquired company is, in fact, a liability. I deal with this all the time in my business. Yes, it sucks to acquire a brand / business with undisclosed liabilities (Craftsman's warranty wasn't "undisclosed" though) but most companies are made-up of good people who will move heaven and earth to honor those commitments. This proves itself to be the absolute BEST thing they can do, from a marketing perspective, because people know it sucks, but they honor it anyway: Instant Brand Loyalty.

Here's MY problem with Craftsman, though. (Not too dissimilar from what you said too, JFP)
The ONLY thing Craftsman has had going for it in a very long time is the lifetime swap-out warranty. Their tools form anytime since about 1985 are just junk. Sure, it's nice to know you can take it in and trade it.... but what about when the failure happens at 7pm on a saturday at the racetrack? Or while you're laying under a car bench-pressing a transmission into place? a tool that is junk isn't worth having, regardless of how easy the warranty process is.

Just my $0.02
Stanley only wanted the brand identify when they bought Craftsman, they knew the tool line had gone to junk, but people still remembered the name, which has value. Once they had the name, the expanded their existing tool line (which was somewhat limited) into a full line of mechanics tools and tool boxes, none of which were holdovers from the Sears days, and started to re-enter the market via outlets like Lowes and Ace Hardware, where Stanley already had footing. They will probably do a good job over time, but it is early innings just yet.