Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
The base Boxster with a manual transmission is not an economy car, but the fuel efficiency is pretty good. I have taken long highway trips during which I averaged about 30 mpg. The car can run on regular, but you should use premium fuel and that adds to your fuel cost. If you drive in congested areas, fuel economy takes a hit and you will be fortunate to average 24 mpg. If you "drive it like you stole it" fuel economy will be even lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I bought a base '99 and promptly totaled it. I had raced before and owned a 914 and 2 Alfas. I bought a '01S and had a PPI done on this running and cosmetically flawless car with 35k miles on it. Around $4k or so later I had the car in shape and with a maintenance history I felt comfortable with and only then would I drive it anywhere.

Tires, brakes, alignment, 90k service. Nothing exotic or wildly proactive. Not even anything inside the engine or an IMS swap. Nothing cosmetic. And those were 10 year ago prices.

Wonderful cars if well maintained. Buy one whose maintenance history you can prove. Whose reason for being sold you can trust.

Thank you both, great input.

Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:09 AM   #62
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Holy balls...

I check out for a few days and the crap really hit the air mover!

Yes, I was ribbing “nicecar” a bit. I’ve “known” him on the forum for many years. I don’t know what the hell happened, but I think maybe he misread me...?
Not enough friggin smileys for ya, bud?
My math was rudimentary. The total is probably closer to $4k, but still nowhere near what some claim. It helps that there isn't anything at all that I can't do and I can get parts cheap or free.

That said, no way I’d ever sugarcoat anything for anyone. I tell it how it is at all times and I give my opinion bluntly.
Because I am a man.
Period.
If you don’t like it, add me to your ignore list (please and thank you).

Yeah...you bet your sweet ass it's white!
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 01-20-2020 at 02:35 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:48 AM   #63

Well said. (I wondered where you went to!)
Who's your parts supplier? (I want to be his friend )
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:34 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That said, no way I’d ever sugarcoat anything for anyone. I tell it how it is at all times and I give my opinion bluntly.
No one's telling you to sugarcoat anything. Just don't call someone full of Sh it if their comments don't jive with your beliefs.

Just because you can get parts cheap or free doesn't mean everyone can. They may very well pay 2K/year just like you may very well pay 2K/decade. Both are way out of the norm so by your own logic, you'd be full of sh it too. But I'm not going to call you that. We can be blunt without getting personal.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... that's perfect.

And Paulofto, we Utahn's understand you canuks; the image below (was helping my daughter sell her car) was about as pretty a day as we get here for 4 months of the year. hahaha
This is how you show off how a car's ability in the snow.

This is a pic I took for a CL sales ad. Car sold.

Last edited by piper6909; 01-20-2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:09 AM   #66
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
This is how you show off how a car's ability in the snow.

This is a pic I took for a CL sales ad. Car sold.

Nice. Same idea... less snow. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #67

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
I had a question for anyone not too angry and still following this thread.

Are there any good fuel efficiency mods that anyone is aware of?

Obviously the Boxster and even more, the Boxster S, are not too great at fuel Efficiency, although not all that worse than the 330i I currently drive.

Is there anything that can be done other than weight reduction to improve my street mpg?

My limited knowledge brings me to believe that higher performance = better fuel efficiency, but I could be wrong. Would something that is proven to give hp gains like an Underdrive Pulley help with fuel efficiency?

I can start a different thread if need be.

But what are your thoughts?

A underdrive pulley will help, rebuilding the engine will help.

I think the 6-speed manual trans helps Highway mileage. After rebuilding my 'S' engine I easily get 30 MPG at highway cruising speeds (70-75 mph)
Old 01-20-2020, 09:16 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
A underdrive pulley will help, rebuilding the engine will help.

I think the 6-speed manual trans helps Highway mileage. After rebuilding my 'S' engine I easily get 30 MPG at highway cruising speeds (70-75 mph)

The 6 speed swap was said to be pretty hard. Might have to avoid that

Thanks for confirming the UDP. Sounds like that and weight reduction is the key!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:25 AM   #69
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
No one's telling you to sugarcoat anything. Just don't call someone full of Sh it if their comments don't jive with your beliefs.
Yeah, and I don’t ask permission. Not telling someone when I think they’re “full of it” would be sugarcoating.

I also wouldn’t say that you’ve done nothing but stir the pot since you joined. No reason to get personal, right? You’re going back on my ignore list...not worth the thought.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #70

Quote:
Nice. Same idea... less snow. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
NICE!
Old 01-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #71

Quote:

I also wouldn’t say that you’ve done nothing but stir the pot since you joined. No reason to get personal, right? You’re going back on my ignore list...not worth the thought.
Alrighty, then. Auf wiederzen!

Just don't ask me again to delete your quotes because you woke up the next day and regret what you wrote. I may not be as kind as I was in the past.

Last edited by piper6909; 01-20-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:31 AM   #72
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Well said. (I wondered where you went to!)
Who's your parts supplier? (I want to be his friend )
Hey buddy! I’ve been trying to be more active (outdoor activities) and stay off the internet. I don’t check in daily, anymore.
Glad to see you back around here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
The 6 speed swap was said to be pretty hard. Might have to avoid that

Thanks for confirming the UDP. Sounds like that and weight reduction is the key!
Sorry, Russ. I was going to reply to your PM, but the link you sent it dead.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:27 AM   #73

Quote:
Sorry, Russ. I was going to reply to your PM, but the link you sent it dead.

Yeah no worries. Someone got to it before me. Oh well.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #74

mistake

I have apologized in pm to 3 people for high jacking the thread and being a dick. Now I am sorry to the whole forum. I should have never replied. I dont think I have had negative vibes with pw , just 1 time with maytag about.......wait for it.......yearly maintenance. Since then he has accepted my apologies graciously and I appreciate it. I think I miss directed alot of anger(ya think?). Again truly sorry to all! P.S. If I had a white car it would look like pws' very nice
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:44 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
I have apologized in pm to 3 people for high jacking the thread and being a dick. Now I am sorry to the whole forum. I should have never replied. I dont think I have had negative vibes with pw , just 1 time with maytag about.......wait for it.......yearly maintenance. Since then he has accepted my apologies graciously and I appreciate it. I think I miss directed alot of anger(ya think?). Again truly sorry to all! P.S. If I had a white car it would look like pws' very nice
Takes a big man, nicecar.

Glad you're sticking around. I think everyone's input is valuable here, even PW's, even if one's input contradicts another's. It just gives the reader/OP more information to go on and make their own decision.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:13 PM   #76
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post

My new favorite member. (at least for the rest of today, haha)

It takes alot to say "whoa nelly.... I might've (whatever... I won't belabor, you all know what I'm saying here)"

and funny thing; I don't even remember the episode you're referring to here. If I was rude then, my apologies now. I'd love to tell ya I'm just misunderstood, and that it was surely just me trying to be funny / sarcastic. But the truth is; I'm sometimes a dick. (that's why I always try to forgive other people who are sometimes too. hahaha.) If I were never going to say anything wrong or offensive, I'd need to change my name to Trump.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #77
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
My new favorite member. (at least for the rest of today, haha)

It takes alot to say "whoa nelly.... I might've (whatever... I won't belabor, you all know what I'm saying here)"

and funny thing; I don't even remember the episode you're referring to here. If I was rude then, my apologies now. I'd love to tell ya I'm just misunderstood, and that it was surely just me trying to be funny / sarcastic. But the truth is; I'm sometimes a dick. (that's why I always try to forgive other people who are sometimes too. hahaha.) If I were never going to say anything wrong or offensive, I'd need to change my name to Trump.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:50 PM   #78

Quote:
If I were never going to say anything wrong or offensive, I'd need to change my name to Trump.
Thanks, Maytag. I know you did that just for me! hahaha!

But you know you shouldn't bring up politics, because someone on here will get mad at you!
Old 01-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #79

not rude

I dont think you were rude we just disagree, I can look back but I guess I would have been rude first.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:07 AM   #80

Been quite a while since I’ve been here, but the Boxsters have seemed to returned to the market and there’s a white one with a hardtop that has my name on it.

He wants $5500 for it. I don’t think it’s worth that much, but sell the hardtop for $1000 and now it’s a $4500 Boxster right?

I’ll let you guys know how it goes