Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2020, 09:28 PM   #41
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicecar View Post
maytag I believe you also think that these cars dont cost any more to maintain than other cars as well. Well you are both wrong. Truth be told if you are watching dollars get another car! AND if I had a dollar for every post you were getting into it with someone I would buy another car. You seem to always be ass kissing someone on here and being an inflammatory F uck. How bout that for paraphrasing.I will tell you who was nice Pedro, is he on here anymore ? NO... because of you guys. I know because I asked him. I said before I should just stay off here But I for one am sick of you full time motor heads telling normal shmoes like me, that have a life ,that these cars are affordable to own especially if you wrench. You and Particle are FULL OF CRAP with way to many posts about an old car. Now I am out an off to drive one of my seven cars which I am sure I dont know how to maintain or the cost to do so. How much do all your f ucking tools cost D ICK. How much for a good torque wrench know it all?
Pal, I think you're right.... you need to take a break. 'Cuz you're seriously bent.

Just for starters, pedro was gone from here LONG before I came here. He and I are email friends (though he wouldn't probably know my forum name.... because we've never had occasion to discuss this forum.... since he was gone before I got here). So..... just from the start...... you're waaaaay off your rocker.

So relax a bit. Breathe. Come back when you're calmed abit. Or don't.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:31 PM   #42
Who's askin'?

Ima delete this.... cuz I wanna be a nicer person, instead of funnier ..... so I don't continue to provoke mr. 7-cars.

Last edited by maytag; 01-17-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Ima delete this.... cuz I wanna be a nicer person, instead of funnier ..... so I don't continue to provoke mr. 7-cars.

I saw it

I’m 50/50 on whether it should have stayed or not though
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:08 AM   #44

Maintenance really, really, really depends on how crazy you want to go. From my 10+ years of ownership, I doubt I've spent $2K in one year let alone for an average. Perhaps I've been lucky and my experience may not be typical, but it is a data point. But, if you budget high, then you can spend any extra you find yourself with on cool stuff from Fred or whatever else you want. :-)

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 05:30 AM   #45
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Nicecar ****************ing rocking it! LOL!!!

Nice clever cuts... witty... sarcastic. I think I love him, but bet he's ugly as ****************.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:45 AM   #46

Quote:
Let's step back here a little bit. Did nicecar go off the looney bin? Hell yeah! Probably off a night of drinking (just kidding) and he may wake up to regret it. Nonetheless there's no excuse for that just as there's no excuse for PW to personally attack him for providing his opinion. It's quite possible, although not the norm, that nicecar spends $2k/year, while PW only spends $2k/decade. That too is not the norm. It all depends on how much/little/hard/soft you drive it. Everyone has unique opinions based on unique EXPERIENCES. That is PRECISELY what makes these forums a wealth of information, and we shouldn't push people form contributing. I'd like to learn about nicecar's experiences as well as PW's, so I can make my own decision.

The problem is that there are a handful on here who are too quick to personally attack someone whose opinions/experiences are different than their own. State your case without getting so personal about it, and let the readers decide.

So let's not go around calling someone full of sh it if we don't agree with them, or question their personal/professional/mechanical experience if their views on an engine noise don't line up with ours. We should all be able to throw in our 2 cents without being personally attacked. We can have discussions, and explain why our opinion is different without resulting to personal attacks.

It's a sad day when I have to be the voice of decency and reason!

Last edited by piper6909; 01-18-2020 at 06:21 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:59 AM   #47
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Whoa this thread got off track. Bottom line is this. Drive some bases and drive some S's. Figure out what you prefer and go from there. It's just not worth it to change from a base to an S or from an automatic to a manual. So pick the model and transmission type you like and buy that.

As for maintenance costs they will vary. The better shape the car is, the less it will most likely cost you short term. Some years my car costs me only oil changes and whatever mods I decide to do. Other years it costs me much much more. Clutches are not cheap if you can't do them yourself. Tires are not exactly cheap. New glass window tops aren't cheap. I could probably use all new suspension again not cheap. The more you can do yourself the less money it will cost as long as you do it right.

I have probably spent more money on my car over the course of my ownership on mods and improvements that were not necessary to keep it drivable. On the other hand sometimes you have to spend some cash to keep it going. Remember these cars are at least 15 years plus at this point. Things wear out.

So in summary buy the best model you like at a price you can afford. Have some extra money set aside for unexpected repairs and or mods. Drive hard and be happy
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:10 AM   #48

here you go 986 Enjoy!

harbor freight ? no not drunk . I knew pedro left before maytag came, I said that people like maytag made him leave . 2 clutches ims 2 waterpumps entire front suspension aos and on and on. Some years nothing. Tools ,time ,parts, wax ,stereos etc add up quick. this is the only forum I have ever been on and learned very quick that a lot of crap was talked behind a keyboard so after I was told i was full of crap for opinion i decided to retreat. Then I said to my self....SELF! for once stand up to the guru with 6 million posts so here I am. Glad I could stir the pot! Sure beats the hell out of reading ANOTHER maytag post. I see he uses his phone to post so he makes sure he maintains his quota constantly.In closing keep telling yourself that these cars can not be a pain in the ass and expensive to keep on the road if you diy. Any car properly maintained mechanically and cosmetically costs money and time, the Porsche more than most if not all. Really this forum has helped so much with this car. It would be gone if not for the wealth of knowledge on here , but these opinions about tires ,oil and such...whatever. One other point I drive my car ALL year no bad weather ,could, this have something to do with cost because I actually drive rather than let it sit in the garage because I am repairing it when I get time or afraid to put mileage on it.
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #49
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
See you guys on the track soon
Ok..... so...... this comment just changed everything, as far as I'm concerned. ;-)
If you mentioned before that you planned to track it I missed it.

I track mine..... and that's where I've incurred costs that can't be considered into the regular maintenance / repair calculator. I've broken stuff.... a lot of stuff, at the track. It's been expensive. TOO expensive. But to be very clear: I'm not just driving around out there. I push it hard, I use the tiger teeth at apex or corner exits sometimes, and I find redline regularly. I'm going to work this season on doing LESS of that.... because it's expensive. Haha

And to keep the record clear in spite of recent rants: I think the Porsche boxster IS more difficult, and costly, to own, maintain, and to DIY on, than just about any other car. (This is car #74 for me, or#76 or something, I forget)

Most (or many) seem to disagree with me. Im not at all sure why mr. 7-car has lumped me as the direction of his current tantrum, because he and I actually agree that this car IS, and WILL BE more expensive to own and maintain than most. And I've personally spent MUCH, MUCH more than $2k/yr in the 2 years I've owned it. Much more. But I attribute MOST of that to track breakage and upgrades / mods for the track.

Now what I HAVE said, is that if you don't DIY then don't buy a 20 yr-old Porsche. And I've implied (or maybe actually stated) that if you DIY, the car can be affordable.

And yes.... I post from my phone.... because when I'm sitting at a computer it's because I'm working. Again..... I'm not at all sure why that's offensive to anyone. (Well.... maybe because sometimes when I post from my phone I do it from the porcelain throne! ::gasp:: Haha)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk just to provoke mr. Nicecar.

Last edited by maytag; 01-18-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:59 AM   #50

Quote:
(Well.... maybe because sometimes when I post from my phone I do it from the porcelain throne! ::gasp:: Haha)

Oh GOD! Now I have to get the image of Uncle Fester on the throne out of my head! AAAACCCKKK!

Old 01-18-2020, 08:01 AM   #51
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Nicecar, of course you drive yours all year long. . . . . You live in Florida. Up here in the subarctic the car is hibernating 5 months of the year. I have a sport ute for those 5 months. And doing my own maintenance there is no way it is costing me $2K a year, even in Canadian loonies. In 7 years of ownership I have spent maybe $8k CDN and that includes a clutch, flywheel, IMS, RMS, new radiator, brake pads & fluid flushes, spark plugs, oil changes and a few paintless dent repairs. This is not only one of the easiest cars to work on but also no more expensive than any vehicle I have owned.

I have done work on this car that I would not even attempt on a front wheel drive transverse engined car.

And one more thing; guys like Maytag, PW, 78F350 and several others have contributed more knowledge and shared more successes to this forum than can be counted here. You on the other hand step in and berate them for what appears to be simply to talk s#it. and another thing . . . . Oh never mind it's not worth the time to type it....
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:07 AM   #52

Quote:
Ok..... so...... this comment just changed everything, as far as I'm concerned. ;-)
If you mentioned before that you planned to track it I missed it.

I track mine..... and that's where I've incurred costs that can't be considered into the regular maintenance / repair calculator. I've broken stuff.... a lot of stuff, at the track. It's been expensive. TOO expensive. But to be very clear: I'm not just driving around out there. I push it hard, I use the tiger teeth at apex or corner exits sometimes, and I find redline regularly. I'm going to work this season on doing LESS of that.... because it's expensive. Haha

And to keep the record clear in spite of recent rants: I think the Porsche boxster IS more difficult, and costly, to own, maintain, and to DIY on, than just about any other car. (This is car #74 for me, or#76 or something, I forget)

Most (or many) seem to disagree with me. Im not at all sure why mr. 7-car has lumped me as the direction of his current tantrum, because he and I actually agree that this car IS, and WILL BE more expensive to own and maintain than most. And I've personally spent MUCH, MUCH more than $2k/yr in the 2 years I've owned it. Much more. But I attribute MOST of that to track breakage and upgrades / mods for the track.

Now what I HAVE said, is that if you don't DIY then don't buy a 20 yr-old Porsche. And I've implied (or maybe actually stated) that if you DIY, the car can be affordable.

And yes.... I post from my phone.... because when I'm sitting at a computer it's because I'm working. Again..... I'm not at all sure why that's offensive to anyone. (Well.... maybe because sometimes when I post from my phone I do it from the porcelain throne! ::gasp:: Haha)

It was sort of a joke, sort of not.

I’ve always dreamed of having a cool track/rally car. Dual usage obviously. So I can’t be ripping out the HVAC for even more weight loss.

It’s a goal that I’ve set for after I’ve purchased the Boxster and settled it down to a point that maintenance is now just oil changes and replacing things that wear out naturally over time. I would likely take driving classes in parallel with this time, and then combine the two once done. Well maintained Boxster, and newfound driving skills!

If there’s an option for having two, one for both situations, that may be where I achieve my true, swapped track car from a roller
Old 01-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #53

I had a question for anyone not too angry and still following this thread.

Are there any good fuel efficiency mods that anyone is aware of?

Obviously the Boxster and even more, the Boxster S, are not too great at fuel Efficiency, although not all that worse than the 330i I currently drive.

Is there anything that can be done other than weight reduction to improve my street mpg?

My limited knowledge brings me to believe that higher performance = better fuel efficiency, but I could be wrong. Would something that is proven to give hp gains like an Underdrive Pulley help with fuel efficiency?

I can start a different thread if need be.

But what are your thoughts?
Old 01-18-2020, 08:14 AM   #54
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Oh GOD! Now I have to get the image of Uncle Fester on the throne out of my head! AAAACCCKKK!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... that's perfect.

And Paulofto, we Utahn's understand you canuks; the image below (was helping my daughter sell her car) was about as pretty a day as we get here for 4 months of the year. hahaha
Old 01-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #55

Quote:

Obviously the Boxster and even more, the Boxster S, are not too great at fuel Efficiency, although not all that worse than the 330i I currently drive.

Is there anything that can be done other than weight reduction to improve my street mpg?

My limited knowledge brings me to believe that higher performance = better fuel efficiency, but I could be wrong. Would something that is proven to give hp gains like an Underdrive Pulley help with fuel efficiency?

I can start a different thread if need be.

IMO Performance doesn't necessarily mean better fuel efficiency. The biggest thing that effects fuel economy is driving habits. If you want fuel economy, imagine there's a raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Press down gently as not to break it. Using your brakes is wasting fuel. Look far enough ahead so you can coast to your stops and use the brakes as little as possible. Shift points make a difference too.

Now, if you want to race, that's a different story altogether.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #56
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Thread high jacking . . .

Here is the view from my dining room this morning. My drive way is between the 2 poles just to the right. It has warmed up to a balmy -25 C (-13 F) with the windchill from a flash freezing -40 C (also -40 F) from a day or two ago. Obviously NOT Boxster weather. Time to fire up the snow blower (which i also maintain myself LOL)

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:53 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Here is the view from my dining room this morning. My drive way is between the 2 poles just to the right. It has warmed up to a balmy -25 C (-13 F) with the windchill from a flash freezing -40 C (also -40 F) from a day or two ago. Obviously NOT Boxster weather. Time to fire up the snow blower (which i also maintain myself LOL)

-13F!!!?? Better you than me! It's a balmy 34 and raining in Pittsburgh. we had 3" of snow overnight, but the rain is taking care of it.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #58

I bought a base '99 and promptly totaled it. I had raced before and owned a 914 and 2 Alfas. I bought a '01S and had a PPI done on this running and cosmetically flawless car with 35k miles on it. Around $4k or so later I had the car in shape and with a maintenance history I felt comfortable with and only then would I drive it anywhere.

Tires, brakes, alignment, 90k service. Nothing exotic or wildly proactive. Not even anything inside the engine or an IMS swap. Nothing cosmetic. And those were 10 year ago prices.

Wonderful cars if well maintained. Buy one whose maintenance history you can prove. Whose reason for being sold you can trust.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:04 PM   #59

Quote:

The base Boxster with a manual transmission is not an economy car, but the fuel efficiency is pretty good. I have taken long highway trips during which I averaged about 30 mpg. The car can run on regular, but you should use premium fuel and that adds to your fuel cost. If you drive in congested areas, fuel economy takes a hit and you will be fortunate to average 24 mpg. If you "drive it like you stole it" fuel economy will be even lower.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:15 PM   #60

I actually bought my 2000 base to be a daily driver. Have a new Tundra ( 2017) that gets 14 MPG on a good day. Wrenching on the Boxster does help save money but new parts are still new parts price. Even for a 20 year old car. Some parts are reasonable in price and others are quite expensive. I think being proactive about a maintenance schedule is important. Also, think of what you might eventually change and decide/find a car that has that issue. I.E. if you want to replace the seats with racing seats and completely upgrade the cabin, then one that has been neglected in the cab would be a option.
Keep looking until you run across one that makes you say, "WOW".

SMK Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote