Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #81

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao;610159[B
]I've never personally drivin an S, but I just don't see 50hp(?) being that big of a difference. [/B] I know bigger brakes and 6 speed all seem appealing, but not for the price tag associated with it.

I can say that the tiptronic is a very aggravating trans. Its like you slam the peddle down and the thing has to make up its mind whether or not it wants to downshift. Then when it has made up its mind (time to go fast) it doesn't want to act like a daily driver; it just wants to stay at high rpm.

Maybe I just don't see eye to eye with the tip and others do?

I can say I looked into a 5 speed swap before I got my current car and it looked like an expensive and labor intensive swap. So I just ignored all tip cars I saw for sale. Can't really comment on the difficulty of the swap because I never tried it.
50 horsepower makes a huge difference in any car especially one as light as a 986.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #82

At the risk of being "that guy" buy whatever Boxster you can afford.

I picked mine up for $2450 knowing it had engine issues. (It was mixing fluids big time!) I was OK with that as I planned the dreaded LS swap anyway. I'm comfortable with a wrench and multiple cutting devices and don't really care when the car will be done or even road worthy.

At this point mine runs and drives, has no mufflers, plates, or tabs, and I don't care as I have other transportation.

I can afford to futz with it as it gives me something to do on my off hours. If you need a daily that will be ready by Monday then buy one that needs nothing. You either pay for "ready to go" or you pay for a project.

Pick your poison.

outsidetheboxster is offline   Reply With Quote