Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2019, 03:48 PM   #1

LS V8 swap into a Boxster S

Already on board with the Go-For-It frame of mind.

I posted an introduction about a week back. After going through the learning curve for the site I've found I should use proper punctuation, paragraphs, and not live where I have for my entire life (Spokane). Lol!

I picked up a very well used 2001 Boxster S, six speed, very pretty blue, that has been ridden very hard then passed along. New tires, new top, new seats, new clutch, very cool Fabspeed exhaust from headers to sensors to mufflers.

That being said I have been in contact with Travis at Renegade Hybrids regarding mounts. I plan to get the adapter from Kennedy Engineering.

I picked my handle of outsidetheboxster as I want to do if differently. I don't want to cut so far into the passenger compartment if it's avoidable. I'd like to find a way to tap into the freeze plugs or the bellhousing end of the block to connect to the water passages if possible. I have all winter to make it all come together. Pipe dream perhaps but still....

Anyway, I will call this my build thread unless I'm in the wrong category. Can someone confirm or point me in the right direction please?

outsidetheboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #2

And once again I forgot to say I'm planning the GM LS swap of some sort. Thinking a 5.3 with a cam but this is my first venture into LS territory. Suggestions for a guy with a limited-ish budget?
Old 08-31-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
Who's askin'?

Oh.... we need MORE of this! Hahaha.
I'm subscribing.
Following closely.
I like my 3.2, but I have this roller without a motor sitting here...... hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by maytag; 08-31-2019 at 07:07 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

The LS motor is hard to beat. There is a lot of support for engine swaps. Ask my brother.

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite Rotisserie Restoration
90% complete in the final stages
hcallaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:20 AM   #5

Maybe some inspiration:

BoxsterLS376 introduction - LS3 conversion :)
V8 Conversion
Any progress on V8 engine swap options?

Last edited by Smallblock454; 09-01-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:42 AM   #6
Racer Boy

What’s wrong with Spokane? It’s a really nice town. I grew up in Kennewick, BTW.

I’ll be following your progress with your build.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

Smallblock454, thanks so much for the links! Very inspiring reading!

I actually read all of the posts by BoxsterLS376. That is what convinced me to go buy this tiny beast of a car. Lol! I had no idea I even wanted one until I heard 50/50 weight distribution, 6 speed, cheap oil changes, etc.

Very much appreciate the link for the tach correction unit. That opens my field of possible engines so much. Stuttgart Muscle had indicated I needed a 58x reluctor wheel. Also found out somewhat recently that a Vortec is also workable. Once you start to research a whole world of swap ideas come to find.

Now to narrow it down to a proper displacement. "No replacement for displacement" comes to mind but then reality sets in. I don't need 600+ horsepower at this stage of life. I just love the sound of a proper V-8 and a stick shift. I'd be happy with anything equal to stock for now, or perhaps a bit of a bump to say 350ish or so.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #8

When changing a cam what does it take to change the computer fuel maps and timing adjustments? Is this already done by the computer or does this need to be hired out to someone with a dyno? I'm old school. You advance the distributor a few degrees and drive it around the block to see if it pings....

Also wondering if the stock harness is easy enough to modify or if I should go with aftermarket? I am an electrician and can follow diagrams so.....

Hang in there gang. Any moment I'll get going with actual progress! Still tearing down and cleaning up at this point.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsidetheboxster View Post
... I've found I should use proper punctuation, paragraphs, and not live where I have for my entire life (Spokane). Lol!...
We're pretty forgiving here. Just don't go insulting someone's intelligence if you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

I'm looking forward to updates on your project with lots of enthusiasm and a little envy!

Best of luck!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #10

piper6909. Did not mean to offend anyone, including you.

I really can't figure out why so many people have bad engines, and yet they are intimidated by this swap. Maybe lack of good, clear directions and a parts source?

Hopefully we can clear that up. Of course it takes funding but it should not be break-the-bank type money. It's really just a matter of buying the adapter and engine, then making it fit and run. A bit of wiring work, some coolant circulation hurdles, and some metal work.

And then the exhaust, tuning, metal engine cover fabrication, upholstery, more wiring, power steering hose modifications, shift cable re-work, fuel pump lines, axle geometry, etc. I suppose exhaust routing too. Yeah, I get it.

I'll see what I can finagle and get things straightened out. Any help would be most welcome. Come on gang, lets do this!
Old 09-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #11

Quote:
piper6909. Did not mean to offend anyone, including you.

I really can't figure out why so many people have bad engines, and yet they are intimidated by this swap. Maybe lack of good, clear directions and a parts source?

Hopefully we can clear that up. Of course it takes funding but it should not be break-the-bank type money. It's really just a matter of buying the adapter and engine, then making it fit and run. A bit of wiring work, some coolant circulation hurdles, and some metal work.

And then the exhaust, tuning, metal engine cover fabrication, upholstery, more wiring, power steering hose modifications, shift cable re-work, fuel pump lines, axle geometry, etc. I suppose exhaust routing too. Yeah, I get it.

I'll see what I can finagle and get things straightened out. Any help would be most welcome. Come on gang, lets do this!
I wasn't offended in any way. I was trying to make a joke about using "...proper punctuation, paragraphs..." Obviously the joke bombed, and I'm sorry I didn't clarify that I was generalizing and it wasn't directed towards you or anything you did or said.

Having said that, I'm truly looking forward to seeing updates on your project. I can turn some wrenches and swap parts & motors. But making mods way beyond my capabilities. Thus the bit of envy, but no malice.

Best wishes and I look forward to your posts.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #12

Quote:
When changing a cam what does it take to change the computer fuel maps and timing adjustments? Is this already done by the computer?
No.

Quote:
…or does this need to be hired out to someone with a dyno?
Yes, but the dyno is not the important part. The person needs to know how to remap the ECU you're using and needs to have experience in doing that.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #13

I love these build threads!
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
I love these build threads!
I do too. I'm excited to move this one along and stop trying to decide which engine to go with!
Old 09-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #15

Check this thread out. Lost of good info. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1075693-my-budget-ls-engine-swap-guide-1500-a.html
I also live in Spokane and would be very interested in your project.
Sammyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyj View Post
Check this thread out. Lost of good info. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1075693-my-budget-ls-engine-swap-guide-1500-a.html
I also live in Spokane and would be very interested in your project.
Very good link, thank you. I haven't taken the time to read all of it yet, but it has been bookmarked for later reference and looks promising.
As my current clutch is almost new I plan to re-use it along with the Kennedy adapter set up so I don't want to go nuts on the power level yet. Just get it all to fit and work then add more power as necessary. Necessary seems like a funny line of thinking but saving money for now is a great idea! Money spent wisely seems to go further towards necessities.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #17

adapter

OK guys and gals. Small update for anyone watching from the sidelines.

I ordered my adapter today , but went with the one from kitcarchassis.com. I spoke with Eric and he is a very good source of information. Also this kit includes a complete stage one clutch setup for almost the same cost as the Kennedy kit with no clutch. Kind of a no brainer. Sounds like about 3 weeks from now I'll have the adapter in hand. Better get busy and find a motor. Stay tuned!

p.s. Any thoughts on how to clean all the oil/antifreeze mix out of the cooling lines and radiators with no motor or water pump in place? I'm thinking an electric pump and a bunch of Super Clean but that will create a lot of waste water to deal with.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #18
Racer Boy

Jack the front of the car up, and the coolant should run out of the lines that are under the car. You can take the hoses off the radiators, to make sure everything drains out.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 06:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Jack the front of the car up, and the coolant should run out of the lines that are under the car. You can take the hoses off the radiators, to make sure everything drains out.
I went so far as to use a shop vac to get the bulk of the liquid sludge out. I'm more concerned with the oil residue still likely coating the surfaces inside of the radiators and heater core. I want to get all that out before installing a new engine and such. I can remove all the parts of course, but not looking forward to pulling the heater core just to clean it. Lazy streak I guess. Lol.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #20

Quote:
I went so far as to use a shop vac to get the bulk of the liquid sludge out. I'm more concerned with the oil residue still likely coating the surfaces inside of the radiators and heater core. I want to get all that out before installing a new engine and such. I can remove all the parts of course, but not looking forward to pulling the heater core just to clean it. Lazy streak I guess. Lol.
That's a tough one. the tricky part is getting the cleaning solution to go up into the heater core since it's relatively high compared to the rads.

One thought, and it's just theoretical, is to jack up the back of the car, so the ends of the hoses are higher than the heater core. Or close to it. Then get a submersible pump from Harbor Freight, put it in a 5-gallon bucket or bigger filled with your cleaning solution. Connect the output from the pump to one of the rad hoses, and run a hose from the other rad hose back into the bucket. turn it on and let it circulate for a while. In theory that should work.

Now, what kind of solution to use?

Good luck!