Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #1

Boxster Trunk Emergency Release Cable

Long time lurker, first time poster.

The trunk (rear) on my 2001 Base Boxster won't release with the interior button or the key fob button. I can hear the latch actuator engage but it does not release the trunk. After a search on Google, Rennlist and here, I disassembled enough of the driver side rear wheel well and heat shield to find the emergency release cable and pull it down for access.

However, no matter how hard I pulled down from under the car, it would not release the trunk. I pulled it pretty hard. Next, using a coat hanger, I fished it around the metal bumper and through the hole where I removed the driver side bumperette. Again I pulled it pretty hard but it would not release the trunk.
My question: has anyone ever had to pull that cable and release their trunk? And if so, how hard was it to pull and from what angle did you pull it? Do I have to take the bumper completely off and pull it straight back? I found a lot of info on how to find that cable, but not much on how to operate it.

Sorry for the long question as an intro. I love this forum along with Rennlist and others. It's my nightly de-stress pre-read before I read a book or watch TV. The Porsche community it truly awesome and I love the 986 Boxster. It's so under-appreciated it's unbelievable.

Thanks,
Tod

CrocRocket502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
Will there be cake?

Garage
have a second person gently press down on the lid while you are releasing and see if there is some pre-load preventing the latch from pulling back that this relieves. Then lube it, look for problems and we all hope for some resolve.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocRocket502 View Post
I love the 986 Boxster. It's so under-appreciated it's unbelievable.

Thanks,
Tod
I'm actually glad it's underappreciated. That's how I can afford it!

Good luck opening your trunk. I think Tony's advice on having someone push down while you pull is your ticket.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:22 PM   #4

Garage
Same happened to me, you really have to pull hard in the release cable. Once it’s open, remove the plastic cover over the hatch release mechanism. If you’re lucky, it broke there. I braided in some picture wire where it broke and tied it to the release arm. I check it annually and it still works fine. Porsche wanted $800 to install a new cable. I fixed it for nothing. Give the emergency cable a real hard yank. Wear gloves.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
Same happened to me, you really have to pull hard in the release cable. Once it’s open, remove the plastic cover over the hatch release mechanism. If you’re lucky, it broke there. I braided in some picture wire where it broke and tied it to the release arm. I check it annually and it still works fine. Porsche wanted $800 to install a new cable. I fixed it for nothing. Give the emergency cable a real hard yank. Wear gloves.

Note that he hears the actuator, so there is some pretension. (Something falling into the lock could do it)
I would avoid a hard yank and look to relieve that tension...failing that, I could see myself going the hard yank route through impatience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #6

Garage
I remember I had to pull it hard to get the trunk to pop. Don’t be afraid to do it. There is a lot of cable from the left side to the right. Porsche design? Not impressed.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
A Porsche Guy

I ran into this situation when I did an aftermarket radio install. I removed the negative/ground terminal and shut the hood. I had to go on my passenger side wheel well to find my emergency frunk wire. It was tough to get to but I found the wire and with just my index finger wrapped around my thumb I yanked it. There was slight tension pull but once I heard the pop sound I was good to go. It should not be as difficult as you have made it seem. I think something is broken. I did not access it from underneath the car. I access it directly from behind the passenger headlight. Try to not pull the cable downwards but towards to the back of the car like pulling the door open. You are facing the direction like you're driving. That's how I did it mine. I have heard some people re-wire it near the tow hook. You can try doing that and then pull the wire.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 06-27-2020 at 04:34 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #8

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’ll have my wife press down on the trunk while I give the cable another hard yank and see what that does. I have it wrapped and fastened under the driver side bumperette for easy access now. Worst case I have an appointment at my indie Monday morning. Thanks again.
CrocRocket502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
I ran into this situation when I did an aftermarket radio install. I removed the negative/ground terminal and shut the hood. I had to go on my passenger side wheel well to find my emergency frunk wire. It was tough to get to but I found the wire and with just my index finger wrapped around my thumb I yanked it. There was slight tension pull but once I heard the pop sound and I was good to go. It should not be as difficult as you have made it seem. I think something is broken. I did not access it from underneath the car. I access it directly from behind the passenger headlight. Try to not pull the cable downwards but towards to the back of the car like pulling the door open. You are facing the direction like you're driving. That's how I did it on mine. I have heard some people re-wire it near the tow hook. You can try doing that and then pull the wire.
The OP can’t get the rear lid open. Good info though for the front...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #10
A Porsche Guy

I misread the OP issue. Here is the look for the trunk latch + actuator. If you look at how the emergency cable runs through to the latch, you can see that it should not be that difficult to free the latch. It sounds like the hook is stuck if you can hear latch actuator engage.

The pictures were provided from Part Society from this link I google. https://www.partssociety.com/products/03-boxster-s-rwd-porsche-986-rear-trunk-latch-actuator-98651205302-66-919

1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote