View Single Post
Old 07-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
CrocRocket502

Boxster Trunk Emergency Release Cable

Long time lurker, first time poster.

The trunk (rear) on my 2001 Base Boxster won't release with the interior button or the key fob button. I can hear the latch actuator engage but it does not release the trunk. After a search on Google, Rennlist and here, I disassembled enough of the driver side rear wheel well and heat shield to find the emergency release cable and pull it down for access.

However, no matter how hard I pulled down from under the car, it would not release the trunk. I pulled it pretty hard. Next, using a coat hanger, I fished it around the metal bumper and through the hole where I removed the driver side bumperette. Again I pulled it pretty hard but it would not release the trunk.
My question: has anyone ever had to pull that cable and release their trunk? And if so, how hard was it to pull and from what angle did you pull it? Do I have to take the bumper completely off and pull it straight back? I found a lot of info on how to find that cable, but not much on how to operate it.

Sorry for the long question as an intro. I love this forum along with Rennlist and others. It's my nightly de-stress pre-read before I read a book or watch TV. The Porsche community it truly awesome and I love the 986 Boxster. It's so under-appreciated it's unbelievable.

Thanks,
Tod
CrocRocket502 is offline   Reply With Quote