Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2017, 06:21 AM   #1

Hit & Run Accident - Estimation of Repairs please

Hey there, so.. after 3.5 months of owning my Boxster, someone passed a STOP sign and hit me.. Insurance says that i must find the guy who did it, else i will pay for repairs. I got hit on the rear left(drivers) side, and unfortunately it hit not only the bumper but the wheel also. In the pictures you can see some broken "wheel" things such as broken control arms etc.. Result is that the car couldnt move, since the wheel was almost disconnected from the car...

Thanks

Lacostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:45 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacostas View Post
Hey there, so.. after 3.5 months of owning my Boxster, someone passed a STOP sign and hit me.. Insurance says that i must find the guy who did it, else i will pay for repairs. I got hit on the rear left(drivers) side, and unfortunately it hit not only the bumper but the wheel also. In the pictures you can see some broken "wheel" things such as broken control arms etc.. Result is that the car couldnt move, since the wheel was almost disconnected from the car...

Thanks
You have to find the guy? Really? I've never heard of such a thing. Who is your insurer? I'd be heading to an attorney for a bad-faith claim. I wouldn't accept as satisfactory the insurance company demand you go hunting.

Please... all the insurance experts pipe in.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
I am my own mechanic....

Liability only insurance?

Fix yourself or shop? Use Woody here (itsanova) for parts est.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:07 AM   #4

Garage
Three to $5K depending on shop, parts, and skills
Old 12-31-2017, 07:20 AM   #5

Fix on shop 100% and maybe on Dealer... My insurance will cover this if I knew who hit me ( or if that guy didn’t run away). Anyway, unfortunately dealer told me I will have to pay about 3-4K euros... But maybe it’s more ?
Old 12-31-2017, 07:29 AM   #6
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Different insurance rules in Europe is my guess. Have you filed a police report? USA insurance companies require you to report the crime to authorities to help cut down on fraudulent insurance claims.

That looks like quite a hit. Are you okay? Beyond the obvious damage, is the trans okay, will the car still track straight?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Different insurance rules in Europe is my guess. Have you filed a police report? USA insurance companies require you to report the crime to authorities to help cut down on fraudulent insurance claims.

That looks like quite a hit. Are you okay? Beyond the obvious damage, is the trans okay, will the car still track straight?
Yeah it’s different rules.. I have reported to police and I hope I’ll be able to find him through Road security cameras.

Thank god im OK, it was strong hit, but imagine 1sec earlier, it would have hit me in the door... And it was that time when I wasn’t wearing any seatbelt, cause I had just started the car!!!

Anyway, I guess it goes still straight but how do I know ?
Old 12-31-2017, 08:19 AM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I think that is repairable, but I would have a shop check to see if anything is seriously bent before starting any repairs. At least you did not get hit, but it is unfortunate you have to find the person responsible to get the repair covered. I agree with the other estimates of about $3-5k USD, the biggest potential issue, besides any extensive bending, is the rear quarter panel which is welded on. Hopefully, they can pop that panel back into place and match the paint.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
I think that is repairable, but I would have a shop check to see if anything is seriously bent before starting any repairs. At least you did not get hit, but it is unfortunate you have to find the person responsible to get the repair covered. I agree with the other estimates of about $3-5k USD, the biggest potential issue, besides any extensive bending, is the rear quarter panel which is welded on. Hopefully, they can pop that panel back into place and match the paint.
Yes. As far as I can see I’ll need:

Rear bumper: About 600euros + 250euros to paint it.
At least 3-4 arms for the wheel with sum of: 1500€ maybe?
If something more serious is bent, then it will be much bigger sum... Then maybe some other things have been bent on the wheel, the brake arms or so?!
Plus at least 10hours to fix them, of 1000€ at least I guess..
Old 12-31-2017, 10:49 AM   #10

The first job is to get the car either onto a Porsche supplied jig which allows physical measurement of the straightness of the frame. Or some shops have the ability to put the car into a rig that uses lasers and compares to a data base. Once you know what frame and suspension mount damage there is, you can begin to assess the wisdom of what approach to take in fixing the car.

Wheel connects to axle shaft connects to transmission/differential which displaces the engine which ...
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:30 PM   #11

suspension components are cheap and if the cv joint is ok, then its just a new boot.

Probably less than $500 for the suspension on that corner.

A bit of work on the quarter and a new bumper and it wouldn't be so bad.

Just make sure the chassis is not tweaked
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:56 PM   #12

Garage
I don't know Euros But in 2010 I was hit by a Durango. The injuries look a lot the same It cost $14,300 US dolars at the end. I'll see if I can find the photos. The Original quote was $9,600. They found more as the repairs went on.

$8,139 Parts
$3,316 Body Labor
$952 Mechanical labor
$1088 Paint labor
$72 Frame labor
$13,567 total labor and parts
$814 PA Tax.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 12-31-2017 at 01:33 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:04 PM   #13

Garage
Here is the accident photo

Axle, Right Quarter panel, Toe link, Inner fender parts, Trailing arm, Control arm, Bumper cover, Bumper cover liner, Paint. They use the frame kit from Porsche to verify the frame. Paint and materials.

The original Quote was less than half the replacement cost in 2010 the car listed at $20,999 KBB so we fixed it. Had they known the actual costs they would have scrapped it. My guess is it won't be practical to repair.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 12-31-2017 at 01:42 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:06 PM   #14

What MikeFocke said. ANY rear end hit to a rear engined car can cause all sorts of problems. Also, if you were hit hard enough, it is possible the monocoque frame can be displaced... $$$$$ ask me how I know...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Here is the accident photo

Dang, are black Boxster's rear end magnets? Mine first one got nailed and totaled 3 days after I bought it. My overall damage didn't look as bad as yours, but was rolling into the 12-15k realm with frame damage... See ya! !
Old 01-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Dang, are black Boxster's rear end magnets? Mine first one got nailed and totaled 3 days after I bought it. My overall damage didn't look as bad as yours, but was rolling into the 12-15k realm with frame damage... See ya! !
Oh no... I’m very sad now... It’s not only about the money, it’s just that I loved this car... If the amount to repair is that high, then of course it’s not practical to repair since you must not forget the IMS possibility thing in the future too..

What about selling to Porsche dealer ? Engine and all over was in perfect condition, no oil leaks etc..

Also, did you repair yours in the Dealer ?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #17

I know of breakers in the UK who buy such cars, wrecking yards in the US. And there is a definite market for the engines and your front end is valuable, top, headlights, etc. Even the other 3 wheels.

But do you have the time to take it apart, the storage, the means to wait to get your money out of it?

What do the insurance people do with a totaled car? In the US, they paid me and took the car and I presume it either went to a cheaper repair place (my estimate was $26k+) or a wrecking yard. I hated to see it go since it was perfect but I had the money to buy another one.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacostas View Post
Oh no... I’m very sad now... It’s not only about the money, it’s just that I loved this car... If the amount to repair is that high, then of course it’s not practical to repair since you must not forget the IMS possibility thing in the future too..

What about selling to Porsche dealer ? Engine and all over was in perfect condition, no oil leaks etc..

Also, did you repair yours in the Dealer ?

I was referring to the pictures posted by another member. Mine was basically a direct shot to the mid/right rear. Your's doesn't look quite that bad, but these cars can get some significant damage under all the surface stuff. I wouldn't give up just yet. Get a comprehensive estimate done by someone that knows these cars. You will prob have to pay for it, since you seem to be stuck insurance wise, then you'll need to decide. Getting a shot that snaps control arms is pretty significant and most likely caused damage all the way up the line.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #19

UPDATE: Just got reply from the dealer... Parts & labor for the broken stuff: $5000
*But* this is not final cost, since they must put the car on racks, once assembled, and check if it’s straight or not. If it’s not straight, then more costs to be added... I.e suspension...

Any input ?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #20

My car was put on the rack before any work was done and the results of that test were what ultimately determined if it was to be repaired or sent to a breakers. There are two ways of measuring, a physical measurement using a Porsche supplied jig and a laser machine comparing results against a data base. My accident repair estimate on the front (driveable) that I mentally calculated at $3k based on prior vehicles was over $26k done right at a shop that handled Ferraris and other $100k+ cars.

When I look at the suspension damage you had it is much more serious in its implications than mine was. Forces sufficient to wipe out the suspension on one side could transfer all the way to the other. And affect suspension, transmission and engine mounting points on the chassis which are the items you want to know about before bothering with the suspension. After all, there are rear ends from any Boxster in a breakers yard that could be totally swapped in for almost trivial costs IF the suspension mounts are true. The cosmetic stuff is just that. It is how everything will mount and if the crash protection during the next accident that you worry about. Good luck.