Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Motor mount - Need guidance

OK. Under the car. I removed the 4 nuts holding in the yoke. The bolts came with them. Separated them and reinstalled the bolts.

1. Should I remove those bolts in order to easier drop the yoke?

Now... upon examination of the existing mount there are just three bolts. The 2 longer ones at the bottom of the mount came out easily enough. Out, not off... for there isn't enough clearance to completely pull out those bolts. I can see that the bolts have cleared the engine... I can see light between the motor and the mount where the bolt slides through. So... I'm thinking that's how it is.

Now...

There's only one other bolt I see on the top of the mount... and I've unbolted it but, again, there isn't enough clearance to completely remove the bolt. You know... hold it in my hand.

The replacement mount has the two mounting points at the top wherein instructions say to just loosen the bolts and slide the mount into them, then tighten. It's clear this will be a one bolt effort on top.

How to I get that mount out of there. There aren't any videos, that I've found, that address this quandary.

How do I drop the mount? What am I missing?

I'm under the car right now...

Thank you.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #2

Garage
You need to lower the front of the motor around 3" IIRC if you haven't done so. The bolts will then come out, you should have room to twist the mount around until it acomes out.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
You need to lower the front of the motor around 3" IIRC if you haven't done so. The bolts will then come out, you should have room to twist the mount around until it acomes out.
I removed the four bolts holding the yoke... and finagled enough to remove one of the long bolts.

I didn't lower the motor at all... but do have a jack holding it up. I'll lower it a bit... and report back.

Thank you.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I'll lower it a bit... and report back.

Thank you.
Well... that did it. Came right out.

That and a bunch of residual coolant, and not under the pan.

OK. Cleaning up the thermo and WP surfaces... and will start buttoning things up.

Thank you.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Well... that did it. Came right out.

That and a bunch of residual coolant, and not under the pan.

OK. Cleaning up the thermo and WP surfaces... and will start buttoning things up.

Thank you.
D A M N.

One thing for certain... installing the water pump was a breeze with the motor mount out.

I used a trick I read somewhere upon these pages. Cut off the heads of a few proper size bolts... inserted them into a few holes for the WP and thermo... slid on the gaskets... introduced a couple bolts... removed the guide bolts... and boom.

However... that "boom" still took me another 3 hours and... I did learn a few new cuss words.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the new motor mount.

Just sayin...

G'nite.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #6

Quote:
D A M N.

One thing for certain... installing the water pump was a breeze with the motor mount out.

I used a trick I read somewhere upon these pages. Cut off the heads of a few proper size bolts... inserted them into a few holes for the WP and thermo... slid on the gaskets... introduced a couple bolts... removed the guide bolts... and boom.

However... that "boom" still took me another 3 hours and... I did learn a few new cuss words.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the new motor mount.

Just sayin...

G'nite.
Remember how it came out, putting it back in can seem a little confusing, especially if you reinstalled your coolant lines. If your primary coolant lines are still disconnected it’s easy, but if not, it takes some creative maneuvering to get it back in.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:35 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Remember how it came out, putting it back in can seem a little confusing, especially if you reinstalled your coolant lines. If your primary coolant lines are still disconnected it’s easy, but if not, it takes some creative maneuvering to get it back in.
Haven't yet hooked up the lines... and hoping it will line right up. Yes... creative maneuvering. Ughhhh.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:11 AM   #8

I'd take the studs back out if you haven't. They are easy to put in once the mount is in place and make it a lot easier to get back in. With the coolant lines out though, you should have no issues.

Also, you can lower motor more than 3 inches if it helps you.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
I'd take the studs back out if you haven't. They are easy to put in once the mount is in place and make it a lot easier to get back in. With the coolant lines out though, you should have no issues.

Also, you can lower motor more than 3 inches if it helps you.
The studs aren't in (the Yoke studs)... and the coolant lines are off. I believe my big challenge, doing this solo, is lining up the mount holes to the motor holes using a jack. The car is up on jack stands, Esco lowest setting, so it'll be under... out... under... out... under... out... under... out... under... out... under... out... under... out... under... out...

I'm hoping that everything will just fall, figuratively speaking, right into place.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #10

Garage
Replacing water pump is MUCH easier with motor mount removed. I have done it both ways!
Old 11-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
Replacing water pump is MUCH easier with motor mount removed. I have done it both ways!
I watched some vids... and there's that one bolt at 3 'oclock that is a pain. With the mount out everything was right there.

Did you torque the bolts... or tighten them until...? I have the 1/2"? torque wrench and it's too large to finagle in. I don't have a 1/4" torque wrench. Both the thermo and WP I "snugged" up nicely.

Thanks?
Old 11-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #12

Quote:
The studs aren't in (the Yoke studs)... and the coolant lines are off. I believe my big challenge, doing this solo, is lining up the mount holes to the motor holes using a jack. The car is up on jack stands, Esco lowest setting, so it'll be under... out... under... out... under... out... under... out... under... out... under... out... under... out... under... out...

I'm hoping that everything will just fall, figuratively speaking, right into place.
So, you didn't completely remove the motor mount bolts did you? There are two that should stay in place (lower ones) that the mount simply hooks on to. Then, from the top it is relatively easy to get things lined up.

These wrenches (or ones like it) are your friend....

https://www.tekton.com/long-flex-ratcheting-box-end-wrench-set-wrn77062
Old 11-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #13

Quote:
I watched some vids... and there's that one bolt at 3 'oclock that is a pain. With the mount out everything was right there.

Did you torque the bolts... or tighten them until...? I have the 1/2"? torque wrench and it's too large to finagle in. I don't have a 1/4" torque wrench. Both the thermo and WP I "snugged" up nicely.

Thanks?
The WP bolts don't have much torque at all really, good and snug should be fine. It's tough to get the motor mount bolts properly torqued as well. Make sure the yolk is correct. Kind of funky with the bolts 2 inches from your face...
Old 11-28-2018, 07:36 AM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Completely removed the motor mount bolts. The mount I removed was older... and didn't have the "hook". The new mount had the 2 bottom bolt holes... and two of those hooks on top. The mount I removed had only 3 bolts... so that's what went back in. The bolt on the one hook I hand tightened, nicely. That was like a quarter turn each try, and all I had on hand was a flare wrench. The bottom 2 I torqued.

The yoke lined right up... but I did lower the engine a bit to get the long mount bolts lined up. No big.

The water pump I hand tightened, nicely... and stopping just before I believe the bolt might snap.

I should have better prepared because I was up and down so many times just grabbing the correct socket... driver... etc. probably wasted a couple hours just digging through tools. next time I'll have everything lined up. Thank goodness for ibuprofen... because working under that thing ~16-17 inches off the ground is like trying to effect repair and maintenance while standing on your head. Also... I have yuuuuuge hands. LOL

This morning will find me removing and cleaning the throttle body and intake... and installing the S cooler. I'll then fill a few quarts of oil... waiting to see if the pan doesn't leak. When I'm satisfied with that... in goes the new coolant and hopefully no water pump or thermostat leaks.

Cheers!