Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #41

I don't know why we should listen to someone who has only done a couple of hundred of these swaps.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #42

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Maybe just buy the cheaper Porsche bearing and plan to make it a maintenance thing with clutch jobs? Is it worth more to put in a more expensive bearing? Who knows at the end of the day. If it were me, and I were rebuilding the engine anyway, I'd probably go all in and do the Solution and be done with it. Simply because you are there, and trying to justify cost vs value is pretty pointless as rebuilding the engine takes that discussion right off the table.
The cheaper bearing (pelican I assume) is to be replaced in every 40k miles, costs $180 and is worse than the original (being half in size). Why not just buy a new double row bearing same or similar to the original that looks perfect after 100k?
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I don't know why we should listen to someone who has only done a couple of hundred of these swaps.
Fair point, agreed!
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #44
Who's askin'?

Quote:
I think it takes 10,000 repetitions to make an expert, right?

I'm just kidding.

But the suggestion that because someone has done it hundreds of times, we should listen ONLY to them is a little silly, isn't it? Shouldn't we question the status quo? shouldn't we ask the WHY? Don't you think it's possible that what makes the most sense to one person may be different from what makes the most sense to another?

you're asking us to offer a more-than-religious-like adherence (follow without asking why) without offering anything eschatological.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I think it takes 10,000 repetitions to make an expert, right?

I'm just kidding.

But the suggestion that because someone has done it hundreds of times, we should listen ONLY to them is a little silly, isn't it? Shouldn't we question the status quo? shouldn't we ask the WHY? Don't you think it's possible that what makes the most sense to one person may be different from what makes the most sense to another?

you're asking us to offer a more-than-religious-like adherence (follow without asking why) without offering anything eschatological.
Just kidding a certain frequent poster. And implying that there is a certain merit to understanding the person who is posting and their qualifications on a subject.

Those who want to speculate without significant experience (say maybe a million well publicized miles on their theory) are certainly free to do so. But following those speculations with your money is to make a daring leap of faith if you don't understand the subject. And since people doing this change are doing it to reduce risk, does that make sense?

I often post that my experience (2 IMS equipped cars) is statistically insignificant. Yours may be different.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:33 PM   #46
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Just kidding a certain frequent poster. And implying that there is a certain merit to understanding the person who is posting and their qualifications on a subject.

Those who want to speculate without significant experience (say maybe a million well publicized miles on their theory) are certainly free to do so. But following those speculations with your money is to make a daring leap of faith if you don't understand the subject. And since people doing this change are doing it to reduce risk, does that make sense?

I often post that my experience (2 IMS equipped cars) is statistically insignificant. Yours may be different.
Haha, and once again, I've played Devil's Advocate, and added absolutely no value to the conversation! :-)
I hate that I'm like that!
I am that guy!
I guess I just enjoy the conversation with y'all.

In truth, I agree with you Mike. That's why I like forums like this, because I can follow someone else's advice, who has some experience behind it. That's not to say I always do, but frequently when I choose to go rogge, it costs me money! :-) haha

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #47
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Wow, after so may years, this IMS bearing issue seems to be a debated question Considering the original dual row bearing looks perfect after 100000 miles I think I`m just gonna replace the bearing to an original or similar dual row bearing. Any idea where such a bearing can be purchased?
There ya go!
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
The cheaper bearing (pelican I assume) is to be replaced in every 40k miles, costs $180 and is worse than the original (being half in size). Why not just buy a new double row bearing same or similar to the original that looks perfect after 100k?
Misunderstood... Yes, if cost is an issue, replace with a factory bearing and plan for maintenance. Or, since you are there, consider the $$ for the one and done. The IMS “discussion” really has become the proverbial oil thread. There are several options and price points. I think it simply boils down to which you feel the most comfortable with across the board. Overall, in terms of replacing it or not, it’s a bearing, and bearings fail. Do it while you are there.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #49

Garage
Removing my 2001 S engine today. Planning to put it on my stand and sometime in the future tear it down to see why it failed. Meanwhile, I bought a 54K engine off EBAY with its' DME, Cluster and Immobilizer thinking they should all like each other and start right up. Anything I am missing?
BOOTLEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:20 AM   #50

Quote:

I got the humor Mike, even if other did not