Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 08:50 AM   #1

Garage
IMS bearing question

Dear All,

As mentioned in my introduction earlier, I bought a '99 Boxster with an alleged IMS bearing failure and therefore a need for a replacement engine. I bought the car with an intent to fix the engine. This is where I am at now (the failure was caused by a broken variocam pad that I found in pieces all over the engine):

My question regards to theIMS bearing. This car has 100k miles on it, and the original dual-row bearing does not show any sign of wear (dust cover removed):

Would you guys replace this?
Also, I bumped into this mod using a slotted hex key that diverts the oil flow and gets pressurized oil from the pump to the IMS bearing. Any experience, thoughts about this?

eBay

Thanks!

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
IMO, if you're that far into the engine already... why not do it? Could do the IMS Solution and put that issue to bed permanently.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

Garage
Yep to replacing the bearing and no to any of the eBay products. Full Disclosure is that when my clutch wore out my dual row was replaced with a LN Product.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Dear All,

As mentioned in my introduction earlier, I bought a '99 Boxster with an alleged IMS bearing failure and therefore a need for a replacement engine. I bought the car with an intent to fix the engine. This is where I am at now (the failure was caused by a broken variocam pad that I found in pieces all over the engine):

My question regards to theIMS bearing. This car has 100k miles on it, and the original dual-row bearing does not show any sign of wear (dust cover removed):

Would you guys replace this?
Also, I bumped into this mod using a slotted hex key that diverts the oil flow and gets pressurized oil from the pump to the IMS bearing. Any experience, thoughts about this?

eBay

Thanks!
Punching a "precise" diameter hole with a center punch so that if floods the entire IMS shaft with oil? And then replacing the already weak oil drive shaft with one that has a slot ground in it? In a word: No.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
IMO, if you're that far into the engine already... why not do it? Could do the IMS Solution and put that issue to bed permanently.
+ 1 On the IMS Solution, do it once and do it right..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:42 PM   #6

Garage
Thanks for all the input! Is there a tendency for the hexagonal oil pump driver to break? I haven`t heard of such an issue with these engines. Other than that, delivering a small amount of fresh oil through the IMS sounds reasonable to me.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
Racer Boy

I wouldn't screw around with a controversial "fix". Just put a ceramic coated LNE bearing and be done with it.

That is what I did when I replaced my clutch.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Thanks for all the input! Is there a tendency for the hexagonal oil pump driver to break? I haven`t heard of such an issue with these engines. Other than that, delivering a small amount of fresh oil through the IMS sounds reasonable to me.
The hex shaft is a well known failure point.

The concept of spraying oil on the factory bearing is grossly oversold. While a little oil is good, a lot is not necessarily better, particularly if the shaft gets flooded, either because it was used as an oil conduit, or because too much oil is sprayed into the bearing and the factory rear bearing seal won't hold it. If you look at the IMS Solution, the kit puts a pressed in plug behind the solid bearing specifically to prevent this.

You can actually get sufficient oil into the factory bearing by just removing the rear bearing seal and letting the oil mist inside the engine do the job.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 11-02-2018 at 05:08 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:48 AM   #9

I would put a new sealed double row bearing in. Nothing fancy. Just a very good quality one. No need for fancy stuff imho. Most important is, that it is installed correctly which shouldn't be a problem when the engine is disassembled. Also take a very good look at the rod and "cover" that holds the bearing in place. Especially the rod can be improved.

Last edited by Smallblock454; 11-02-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #10

Garage
Well, whatever had been put into the bearing as a lubricant, was replaced by engine oil long ago. So it clearly seems to be a good idea to just remove the rear bearing seal on the new bearing I`ll put in.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #11

Just a thought...

If you had metal pieces circulating in the engine, then stay away from any open seal ball bearing solution. IMHO, that's just asking for failure if a metal piece gets between the races and the balls

Clean the engine completely and put in an IMS Solution
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Just a thought...

If you had metal pieces circulating in the engine, then stay away from any open seal ball bearing solution. IMHO, that's just asking for failure if a metal piece gets between the races and the balls

Clean the engine completely and put in an IMS Solution
What metal pieces?

Unless you want to drop thou$ands on overpriced LNE products, go with a replacement double row or roller bearing.
If it were me, I'd go with the EPS roller. Since it's already apart, I would not keep the old bearing in.

There is no proof that the LN solution is "permanent" or incapable of failure, and there are plenty reports of their other bearings failing, so it's really just a matter of which you feel the most comfortable with. There is no correct answer.

Last edited by particlewave; 11-02-2018 at 03:44 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #13

First, I wrote 'if'' purposely b/c only the poster knows if there were metal pieces circulating in the engine

Second, the IMS Solution doesn't cost thousands.

Third, the failure mode of any bearing other than a plain bearing is that a failure will severely damage the inside of the engine. The Solution is the safest bet either from a cost or hours of labor.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #14
Custom User Title Here

Garage
1) He didn't mention any metal, only a failed variocam pad. No need to make assumptions.

2) Yes, it does. $1,849 plus tax and shipping. If you want any warranty coverage, you'll need installation from a certified installer which will bump that to $4k-$5k.

3) Plain bearings have their own modes of catastrophic failure. Take it from an engineer.

As I said, the best course is for the OP to do the research and select the one he's most comfortable with. That's always the best advice.

Last edited by particlewave; 11-02-2018 at 07:48 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #15

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
What metal pieces?

Unless you want to drop thou$ands on overpriced LNE products, go with a replacement double row or roller bearing.
If it were me, I'd go with the EPS roller. Since it's already apart, I would not keep the old bearing in.

There is no proof that the LN solution is "permanent" or incapable of failure, and there are plenty reports of their other bearings failing, so it's really just a matter of which you feel the most comfortable with. There is no correct answer.

Nothing is permanent, especially if it moves
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #16

Does this board have a popcorn eating emoji?
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #17

I don't know how many "The Solution" bearings have been installed but I also haven't seen any failure reports on the 10 Porsche forums I frequent.

When reading postings about IMS bearing replacement kits, you must understand that there are several groups that seem to have great animosity toward one supplier or another. Makes the political ads seem tame by comparison.

If I were selecting a bearing kit for replacement, I'd think about how I'd use the car, how much else I was investing in preventative maintenance, what other potential problem areas the same amount of money might fix, what the experience of the installer was with a specific product and even why I wasn't buying a completely rebuilt engine.

As an example, why am I focusing on the IMS as opposed to the suspension, a complete heads rebuild, or whatever?

How much to spend on PM is such a subjective choice.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #18
B6T

Spending $3,000 on a permanent bearing "solution" on a car worth $5,000 in perfect running order is a little stupid too.

Replace it with an OEM bearing. Send it. Done.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #19

Garage
Wow, after so may years, this IMS bearing issue seems to be a debated question Considering the original dual row bearing looks perfect after 100000 miles I think I`m just gonna replace the bearing to an original or similar dual row bearing. Any idea where such a bearing can be purchased?
Old 11-05-2018, 07:29 AM   #20

Garage
Which oil you going to run?