Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 09:35 PM   #1

Buying a 05 Boxster

Hi,

Just wondering what you guys think about this deal..i am looking at a yellow boxster with about 8500 miles. The options are quite basic; heated seats, auto climate control, wind deflector, and thats about it i think..i negotiated down to $34,000 and the body is in immaculate condition except for 2 rock chip nicks on the front bumper. Any thoughts about the deal? The yellow isn't my favourite colour since i've always wanted the seal gray and also afraid that resale value may not be so good also...however, the price seems to be ok..any thoughts? thanks!

davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #2

I think that's a great deal and you should pull the trigger immediately.

Seriously.

All the options are window-dressing to the main event. I had 95% of the fun and enjoyment in my stripped 05 987 base that I do in my well-equipped 06 987 S. And with a cost basis of 35K, you're abreast of the depreciation curve, not well-behind it, like most of us.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:20 PM   #3

Hi,

I too think it's a pretty good deal. But, if the color is not your thing, do you really want to have to live with it for the sake of a few grand?

Seal Gray is one of the dominant colors in the Boxster and there's bound to be one coming along which can be just as good, or near as good, a deal. There are rarer colors which might not be worth waiting for, but not Seal Gray.

Compromises are often a necessity in the Used Car Market, but the one thing the World is not short of is used Boxsters. I don't think you need to settle for this car, especially on the West Coast. You can be sure that if you buy this one, you'll come across an Ad for a Seal Gray Boxster with similar mileage/price and wished you had waited. Just my $0.02...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:42 AM   #4

"The yellow isn't my favourite colour..."

I'd have to agree with Jim. Depending on how 'un-favourite' yellow is for you, it may not be fun to look at through the years if that wasn't your choice to begin with -- and though the deal is great, $34k is still a lot of money to pay for something that doesn't do it for you. Focusing too much on the financial aspect misses the main point that this is about fun and enjoyment (and not much of an investment, anyway). We can advise you on the deal (it's great!) but ultimately you have to put a $ amount on your personal likes/dislikes and make a decision.
Z.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:03 AM   #5

I'd say look for other and wait until you find the seal gray one. I personally only like silver and white colour boxs (or deep blue for corvette since it goes well with its red lights), so I normally don't look at others.

$34,000 is a very good pricing if you don't mind colour and resale value (yes it will be harder to sell).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezaristo
Hi,

Just wondering what you guys think about this deal..i am looking at a yellow boxster with about 8500 miles. The options are quite basic; heated seats, auto climate control, wind deflector, and thats about it i think..i negotiated down to $34,000 and the body is in immaculate condition except for 2 rock chip nicks on the front bumper. Any thoughts about the deal? The yellow isn't my favourite colour since i've always wanted the seal gray and also afraid that resale value may not be so good also...however, the price seems to be ok..any thoughts? thanks!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:09 AM   #6

Great deal. I paid $31k for my '01 in summer of '04, so you're getting a great price.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:11 AM   #7

It's only a great deal if it's the car you want.....I for one like the yellow and would pull the trigger. Couple questions tho on options, bose sound? 18 inch wheels? or 17's? Clear bra? I think you would have to list a few more of the options before I would say its a great deal.
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 AM   #8

Seal Gray is another name for shiny primer.
Just a personal opinion, of course.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:50 PM   #9

Thanks for the advise and i will definitely think long and hard about the deal since I haven't made a deposits and am not committed to buy at the moment.

Well, as far as options go, it's got the standard 17" wheels and there is no bose. As for the price, $34k is out the door since i have already included the tax aspect to the equation.

To me, I guess the yellow is quite unique since it really stands out and quite rare. I think i can live with it but I guess it is just the thought process of owning a car that is so standout with the "look at me" attitude causes me to think twice. In any case, I will update you guys on the status of the purchase and look fwd to become a proud owner of a 987. Again, thanks for all the feedbacks.

P.S. Just one more question, did porsche ever included a free maintenance plan similar to BMW (free oil change, tune-up, etc) in 2005? The seller is telling me that he's going to get that done at the dealership for free since he needs to bring the car in to fix the windblocker since it was making noise on the freeway. Please advise..thanks!
Old 08-30-2006, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
Seal Gray is another name for shiny primer.
Just a personal opinion, of course.

Classic. LOL!
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #11

I don't know if I agree with the others on price. Last March, a NY dealer was advertising several brand new '05 base cars with MSRP near $50K for $39,995. And they were silver, black and guards red with black interiors and decent options. I'd try to go lower on this particular car. It also sounds like you're having some doubts about the speed yellow, so you may want to look around. I've seen a number of new 05s in dealer inventories (assuming they're accurate). If you're willing to spend $34K and travel a little bit, you might want to go on dealer sites first and see what's available. When you find cars that are interesting, send an e-mail asking for their best price. You might be surprised. After all, the '07s are coming in, the Boxster is getting some competition from the Cayman and the new car market isn't that good right now. If you don't believe me, take a look and see how many cars some Porsche dealers have in stock.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #12

P.S. Just one more question, did porsche ever included a free maintenance plan similar to BMW (free oil change, tune-up, etc) in 2005? The seller is telling me that he's going to get that done at the dealership for free since he needs to bring the car in to fix the windblocker since it was making noise on the freeway. Please advise..thanks!

No to the maintenance plan...please factor in running costs in your decision...

First 50k you have maintenance on the 20s,

20k @ 250-500
40k @ 750-1250 (?)

new rear tires every 15-20k @500-750
new front tires every 25-30 @ a little less than the rears

probably a brake job in there somewhere @ 1000+ at the dealer

Prices are ballpark, but the upshot is...be mentally prepared

Rattling windblockers on the 987 is a sore subject on the board...they have some workarounds, with varying opinions on effectiveness (felt tape and the like).

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:58 PM   #13

Yeah, thats what i thought. But if the seller is willing to change the oil at his expense at 8500 miles, i guess i won't say no. Anyhow, I was planning to sell the car before 40k miles is reached since i don't want to deal with the potential high maintenance cost but thanks for letting me know on what i am about to expect.

I guess my plan for now is to drive the box for 1-2 years and then get a new M3 in 07 or 08. Anyhow, thanks for all the advice guys and i look forward to joining the club soon i hope...