Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006, 05:50 PM   #1

Help Please

I needs help to fix my 97 boxster covertable top, it's doesn't work any more
the dealer too far from me and charge too much.
is there any one knows someone can fix it good and charge reasonable price?
I am in NY metro area. please let me know
Thank you

hangout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #2

Can you give us a few more details on what it's not doing?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #3

first of all, the top stop in the air while I tried to open it. then I drove to the merchanic which I used go to. he took out the parts under the top, and closed the top after that. He told me, I might need the cable and transmission to make it work again. Also, I better take it to the dealer to finish the job.
the dealer is real far from me, and I don't I can affort $2k to fix it. so, anyone can help me out here? THANKS
hangout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #4

Lets try to narrow down problem...

With the ignition on (no need to have the car running) pull up on the parking brake, does the "Park" indicator light on the dash come on when you pull up on the parking brake? If not, you have a problem with the Parking Brake Switch. There are a couple of threads about that here:

"Top wont go down" and here "Hmmm.. Top Button dead"

I had a similar problem, my switch is fine, the connection was just loose. Sometimes a few quick pulls on the parking lever gets the switch working again.

If the Park light indicator does light up and you still cannot get the top to work there might be a problem with the relay. The Top relay (on my 99) is the big relay box, mostly covered by a white label with a black arrow, located up under the drivers side foot-well. Make sure it is not loose. Also check the fuse.

Beyond that other more experienced members will have to chime in with some other suggestions.
You could also do a search on this forum, in the Rennlist Forum or in the Renntech Forum.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote