Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 07:53 AM   #1

Test drove the line up

There I was....my car was getting serviced and I was poking around the showroom when a salesman approached me. I knew this guy had to be new because he was entirely too eager. Every time I have been to a dealer, I have to ask to be helped. ANYWAY, through my smooth talking and infectious good humor, I was able to test drive not one, but THREE cars. I test drove the Cayman S (Wow), the Carrera S (Holy Sh$#!) and then the Cayenne Turbo S (Damn, them is the biscuits). I was more impressed with the Cayman than the Carrera, however the Carrera did sound sweet and looks awesome. The Turbo S is absolutley mind boggling amazing. That my friends is a sports car...I do not care what anybody says. I took turns at the same speed I would take them in the Box and the braking would detach retinas. Acceleration was equivalent to getting hit in the chest with a baseball bat. Just wanted to share.

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
bmussatti

Rail26, go back for an oil change, and test drive the Carrera GT!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
boggtown

I would be interested in Porsche having a more customizable car. Kinda like the boxster and boxster s, but with every engine they make, kinda (I know you cant fit the cayanne turbo engine into a boxster, but wouldnt that be fun). If all the engines are basically the same, it should be an option to fit a carrera s engine in a boxster, or even the TT engine. Not to be saying anything, but Ford has like 4 or 5 different engine choices for the trucks, why cant we pay for how much horse power we want straight from the factory.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:15 AM   #4

"it should be an option to fit a carrera s engine in a boxster, or even the TT engine."

Then who would be paying $100k for the Carrera S and $130k for the Turbo? Not me. A nice $80k TT Boxster would do the job just right.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:31 AM   #5

so......

aside from the hp bump, did you think the cayman was better than the box? or would a box s run right with it?

also for boggtown's comment of "it should be an option to fit a carrera s engine in a boxster, or even the TT engine."

would you really want a boxster, boxster S, boxster ST, boxster STT, Boxster S4......like mustangs? I kind of like how the line is simple, just give us a more powerful engine period....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
boggtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
aside from the hp bump, did you think the cayman was better than the box? or would a box s run right with it?

also for boggtown's comment of "it should be an option to fit a carrera s engine in a boxster, or even the TT engine."

would you really want a boxster, boxster S, boxster ST, boxster STT, Boxster S4......like mustangs? I kind of like how the line is simple, just give us a more powerful engine period....

I also like simple, dont get me wrong, but as soon as they put a 300 HP boxster, people are gonna say, "the z4m has more", then thay put a 350 HP engine in, they say "why arnt they gonna put the new 911 4.2L engine in" (in the future). The point is, we always wont more, and we wont be satisfied untill we feel like we got the best engine (ie boxster s owners feel better than regular boxster owners, i know i would, lol), and if there is only 2 choices, then theres a divide, and no super sub strata boxster with 450-500 HP.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:36 PM   #7

The CarreraS is very nice indeed..(from the back!)

seems like that car and the CaymanS are photographed from the back and side 9 times out 10. I know they like the retro gesture at Porsche headquarters but personally I think they need to look forward to design not backwards.
If the 2002-2004 Turbo Headlights could be slapped on, the cars would be perfect.
I'm just sayin is all...

p.s.
you should take a look at the front calipers on the Cayenne TurboS... HUGE!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-30-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:49 PM   #8

Wow, what a great experience.

With regard to the turbo, did you drive the manual or the auto? reason being, that the auto provides better acceleration times and I'm curious what your impressions of the auto tranny was if you drove it.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #9

I did drive the auto in the Cayenne, I don't think it had the new automatic. I thought the new auto was only available in the Turbo. Anyway, the shifts felt like the normal tiptronic.

The Cayman felt tight, but I have to be honest, I didn't feel that any of them was all that faster than a base box. It had a little more pull, but once you are flooring it and all hell is breaking loose, it is kind of hard to judge acceleration.

They were all sweet rides and you are right, the brake calipers on the Cayenne Turbo S were enormous! It looked like they belong on a dumptruck.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 08-30-2006, 06:17 PM   #10

Whoops...I didn't read the Cayenne, and thought you had driven the 911 turbo.

Yet another reason to go back and get my GED.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 06:36 PM   #11

What is wrong with a GED? I worked long and hard for my GED.

I wish I could drive the Turbo...they probably check your bank account before they let you test drive that one.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 08-30-2006, 08:57 PM   #12

Yeah Rail, just imagine hitting that overboost with500+ ft/lb of torque on a new 911 turbo. Go get you some on the next dealer visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26

The Cayman felt tight, but I have to be honest, I didn't feel that any of them was all that faster than a base box. It had a little more pull, but once you are flooring it and all hell is breaking loose, it is kind of hard to judge acceleration.
Come on rail, the 350hp 911 should feel like a kick in the nuts compared to your boxster when you floor it. Let's be honest with ourselves.

Last edited by Adam; 08-30-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 05:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Come on rail, the 350hp 911 should feel like a kick in the nuts compared to your boxster when you floor it. Let's be honest with ourselves.
Don't get me wrong, the 911 would blow the doors off the Box, but remember we are only talking about 1.5 seconds on the 0-60. I think where the 911 really shines is that the box stops pulling real hard at 70...the 911 kept hauling through 90 (couldn't go much faster). I couldn't really get crazy, because I was in the city.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

Old 08-31-2006, 05:33 AM   #14

I agree Rail26, for all "hype" I don't see dramatically faster car in any of the non gt2/gt3/Turbo 911's I've driven. Surely a bit more pull in straightline but nothing to make me run out and put an order on. All sub $90,000 P-cars seem underwhelming in the 0-60 department. and well in the turns you know which does signifcantly better.

but don't get me wrong, a 2002-2004 C4S is imho the sweetest looking/sounding Porsche to date. Looks just as good coming as it does going.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote