Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #1

Cruise control, can U add?

I was wondering if it is feasable to add factory cruise onto a 2002 S, I drive a lot of freeway miles and it would make it a little more comfortable.

Thanks for any suggestions

Thom

thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:55 PM   #2

Yes. It's easy since everything in the Boxster is electronic. All you have to do is replace the current turn signal stalk with one that has the cruise on it. You might as well get the one with cruise and the OBC and you can have everything turned on at once. I'm not sure, but I believe you need to have a dealer turn the cruise on in the computer. The OBC is already turned on (that's why you have the outside temp on the dash). You have to wire the cruise connector and OBC to the new stalk and you're ready to go. If you search Renntech you can find the instructions for wiring everything.

You can order the parts from Sunset Porsche. If you tell them what you are doing, they can look up the small connectors you need to do everything. Make sure they know there is another connector for the OBC if you do that too. When they look it up, most others were only adding cruise control so I ended up having to order the other connector later. Also ask them to add the two self-locking screws that attach the airbag pack to the steering wheel. They need to be replaced after you remove the airbag. The 4-way stalk was ~$150 and the misc. wiring parts were ~$15 plus shipping.

Good luck!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #3

It does indeed need to be enabled using a dealer computer, the PST2. It's about a two hour job, I did mine recently. I had a two stalk setup (signals and lights) and changed to the four stalk adding cruise and OBC at the same time.

It's fairly straightforward but can be intimidating as you have to remove the airbag and steering wheel, I wouldn't worry though, it's all pretty easy. If you have specifics that concern you read the threads in the 986 DIY section on renntech.org, also feel welcome to post or PM with questions.

Chris.
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #4

Hi,

As mentioned, fairly easy job. A couple caveats though. The Airbag stays activated for up to 5 min. after disconnecting the power supply (this is to provide safety for you if the ignition is switched off but you haven't exited the car, if you're struck, the airbags will still deploy), so be sure to wait the requisite time before fooling with it.

Also, be sure to have a thick towel on hand when taking off the instrument cluster so you can place it on this, otherwise you'll scar the dash. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #5

Good points Jim, I didn't know about the five minute thing, oops!

Also, in the renntech thread, I posted a few notes on things to prepare or watch out for. Making sure you have a socket big enough for the steering wheel nut (24mm) for example, long torx driver for the airbag screws (they are recessed quite deep) and make sure you put the little clips in the cluster connector with the spring clip outwards, oterwise you'll struggle to remove them again should you make a mistake.

Chris.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #6

If you don't have a 24mm socket, 15/16" fits fine.

To add to one other thing Chris mentioned, you need a T30 torx driver that is not the socket type to get the airbag screws out. It needs to be the screwdriver type so it's slim enough to fit in the holes in the back of the steering wheel. You also need a T10 (it can be a socket type) to get the steering wheel cover off.

If you don't already have some Torx wrenches it's good to pick up a a set of the socket type security Torx (with the hole in them) in case you need security type for something else (MAF) and use them for everything and get the single T30 driver.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 03:29 PM   #7

AND... if and when you drop a screw and it bounces under the drivers seat and into that little crevice where the alarm control unit sits... you'll need a female torx (T8?) to remove the seat to get it back..!!! Don't ask...!

Seriously though, the seat comes out so easy and makes so much space I'd probably remove it if I had to do any similar work again.

Chris.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:34 AM   #8

Cruise Control added to 2004?

John: I'm not sure I know how to communicate on the forum, but here's a try.
I have a 2004 Boxster S, no cruise. Dealer told me that they can't install a unit because only factory can wire it. But, sounds like cruise can be added from this thread. I'll check with Sunset and Renntech. Just want to confirm that it can be done, and also, what is OBC, that you suggest turning on? Boxstersman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Yes. It's easy since everything in the Boxster is electronic. All you have to do is replace the current turn signal stalk with one that has the cruise on it. You might as well get the one with cruise and the OBC and you can have everything turned on at once. I'm not sure, but I believe you need to have a dealer turn the cruise on in the computer. The OBC is already turned on (that's why you have the outside temp on the dash). You have to wire the cruise connector and OBC to the new stalk and you're ready to go. If you search Renntech you can find the instructions for wiring everything.

You can order the parts from Sunset Porsche. If you tell them what you are doing, they can look up the small connectors you need to do everything. Make sure they know there is another connector for the OBC if you do that too. When they look it up, most others were only adding cruise control so I ended up having to order the other connector later. Also ask them to add the two self-locking screws that attach the airbag pack to the steering wheel. They need to be replaced after you remove the airbag. The 4-way stalk was ~$150 and the misc. wiring parts were ~$15 plus shipping.

Good luck!
boxstersman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstersman
John: I'm not sure I know how to communicate on the forum, but here's a try.
I have a 2004 Boxster S, no cruise. Dealer told me that they can't install a unit because only factory can wire it. But, sounds like cruise can be added from this thread. I'll check with Sunset and Renntech. Just want to confirm that it can be done, and also, what is OBC, that you suggest turning on? Boxstersman.
I added cruise to my 03S which is in essense identical to your car. It very much is possible, the dealer doesn't know what they're talkign about. OBC is the On Board Comouter, tracks MPG, Miles to Empty, adds a speed gong, temperature display. It can also be turned on with the dealer computer.

Feel welcome to PM me directly if needed, I can send you screenshots that show how to enable cruise using the PST2 (Porsche System Tester).

Chris.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:20 AM   #10

if you order a four stalk unit, don't forget to buy four new caps (with the white icons on them) and toss your existing ones... they're cheap. This way, it will make your car look newer and they will all match.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote