Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2018, 05:08 AM   #21

Garage
They are great cars. Fun to drive. Feel the road in your hands. My 1999 986 has about 170,000 miles. Heading to Daytona Speedway now for the Rolex 24 Hour tryouts. Going to be a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Ok - Did a first drive today and looked at 3 different cars. 2 were duds, bad shape....like really bad, neglected, previous owners had zero spare cash (but some ingenuity) bad shape. The 3rd car was drivable, but did have a CEL (not a deal breaker if the price can be worked out properly). All in all, I did enjoy the driving experience of the third car. Smooth, ran well, really nice car. If that car represents what I should expect from a 2000+ Boxster Base, I was rather happy with it.

Now on to find the car that I'll buy. Have been in contact with two individuals who have what look like nicely taken care of examples of early 2000-20002 cars...2 base, and one S. Hopefully I'll really fall in love with one of those three, and can make something happen in the near future! but so far, I'm liking these little cars.
Be careful, Boxsters make you feel like a better driver than you are!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #23

Good advice!

Great news from today, I managed to sell my 92 Camaro, and have the funds safely deposited into my bank account. Now, I can seriously begin looking for the proper car to purchase! Still have those two 986 Base cars and one 986 S I'm trying to see.

The base cars are both listed at $12,9xx. One has 45,xxx miles with the IMS done and a newer clutch. The other has 29,xxx miles, and no IMS upgrades. The S model is in the mid $15,xxx range...and I honestly don't know if I could get him down into my price range, but won't know unless you try. Personally, I think all three are a bit overpriced compared to KBB.
flynavyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:02 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Good advice!

Great news from today, I managed to sell my 92 Camaro, and have the funds safely deposited into my bank account. Now, I can seriously begin looking for the proper car to purchase! Still have those two 986 Base cars and one 986 S I'm trying to see.

The base cars are both listed at $12,9xx. One has 45,xxx miles with the IMS done and a newer clutch. The other has 29,xxx miles, and no IMS upgrades. The S model is in the mid $15,xxx range...and I honestly don't know if I could get him down into my price range, but won't know unless you try. Personally, I think all three are a bit overpriced compared to KBB.
Don't get in a hurry,but, prices may go up in spring, but probably more to choose from also. Focus on the right car not the price.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #25

I agree, would like to purchase before spring just to have something, but I'm not in a rush. If the car doesn't seem right, or the price doesn't seem right, I'll wait it out.

My biggest question is, if things were equal would anyone be afraid of a 29,000 mile 2001 Boxster? The low mileage, and no update to the IMS gives me pause. The 2002 has a retrofitted unit, but need to check on what kit it is so I can research that.

I'm scheduled to see the 2002 tomorrow, and will ask that when looking at the car.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:54 PM   #26

Quote:
I agree, would like to purchase before spring just to have something, but I'm not in a rush. If the car doesn't seem right, or the price doesn't seem right, I'll wait it out.

My biggest question is, if things were equal would anyone be afraid of a 29,000 mile 2001 Boxster? The low mileage, and no update to the IMS gives me pause. The 2002 has a retrofitted unit, but need to check on what kit it is so I can research that.

I'm scheduled to see the 2002 tomorrow, and will ask that when looking at the car.
Low mileage Porsches aren't always a good thing. If you can get one with the IMS etc done, IMO that would be the better choice. 45k is not a lot of miles at all.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:58 AM   #27

Garage
There was an interesting thread either her or Boxster Outlaw on Facebook group about how many miles your 986 have. Many like me are 168,000 or higher. One guy was pushing 400,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:53 PM   #28

OMG - the one I saw today was beautiful...dark blue, blue top, gray interior...great condition.

Owner has done the recent maintenance since buying the car. IMS bearing and oiler system installed, new clutch, new hydraulic fluid, new throwout bearing, new rear main seal, new serpentine belt, new lower control arms, newer tires...and simply beautiful condition inside, and out. Love it, love it, love it!

Was snowing today, so we didn't take it out. Did start it, which it did easy and seemed to run well. Gonna try to drive it later this week when the weather clears up. OMG, so excited to drive it.

Our curveball now - wife has apparently gotten more enthusiastic of buying a new home....meanwhile, i'm in the corner screaming, "I WANNA PORSCHE!!!"

---edit----update

Wife and I discussed the new home scenario, and we were able to plan that out a bit further. Porsche was green lighted and pending a Pre-Buy Inspection (yet to schedule) the car I saw yesterday is MINE! Owner and I agreed on price today, think we're all set to go. Stoked!!!

Last edited by flynavyj; 01-15-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #29

Quote:
OMG - the one I saw today was beautiful...dark blue, blue top, gray interior...great condition.

Owner has done the recent maintenance since buying the car. IMS bearing and oiler system installed, new clutch, new hydraulic fluid, new throwout bearing, new rear main seal, new serpentine belt, new lower control arms, newer tires...and simply beautiful condition inside, and out. Love it, love it, love it!

Was snowing today, so we didn't take it out. Did start it, which it did easy and seemed to run well. Gonna try to drive it later this week when the weather clears up. OMG, so excited to drive it.

Our curveball now - wife has apparently gotten more enthusiastic of buying a new home....meanwhile, i'm in the corner screaming, "I WANNA PORSCHE!!!"

---edit----update

Wife and I discussed the new home scenario, and we were able to plan that out a bit further. Porsche was green lighted and pending a Pre-Buy Inspection (yet to schedule) the car I saw yesterday is MINE! Owner and I agreed on price today, think we're all set to go. Stoked!!!
I have enjoyed this thread because I'm in a similar boat but 12 months behind you. I have similar concerns with maintenance and have around the same budget. I test drove a '03 back in the Fall and fell in love with it but I needed to save more.

I was wondering how the PPI process works. Did the owner give any resistance? How did you pick the shop? Is he taking the car to the shop?

Best of luck and I'm living vicariously through you right now. I'm looking forward to when I get post I have scheduled a PPI.
gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank N View Post
I had an S, I test drove a nonS. I strongly recommend driving both if you go the 986 route.
Yes, same with me, if you drive a good S you will not regret it. It makes a wonderful drive even better and totally worth the extra $1k-$2K price difference, which you will get back when you sell it some day.

Your really getting the S extras for free in effect.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsy4771 View Post
I have enjoyed this thread because I'm in a similar boat but 12 months behind you. I have similar concerns with maintenance and have around the same budget. I test drove a '03 back in the Fall and fell in love with it but I needed to save more.

I was wondering how the PPI process works. Did the owner give any resistance? How did you pick the shop? Is he taking the car to the shop?

Best of luck and I'm living vicariously through you right now. I'm looking forward to when I get post I have scheduled a PPI.
I assume like you, i've done tons of reading. The car I found had a pretty decent history and that has eased some stress. The car was maintained at the dealership until the most recent owner took possession (just under two years ago) and he's done quite a bit of maintenance himself and seems like a true enthusiast.

When I mentioned the PPI, he didn't even blink. So I named a couple shops, he'd obviously been to one of the independent dealerships before with his previous porsche, and I believe had his PPI done there as well. My plan is to combine the actual test drive on the way to the PPI, along with the required safety and emissions testing. Sadly right now, we're waiting for good weather, lol...who buys a two seat convertible in January?

Something else amazing, when checking my insurance rates. Going from my 1992 Camaro RS to the 2002 Porsche Boxster actually decreased the insurance costs by a few dollars a year. But I'm gonna pay a few $ more in personal property taxes I'm sure. Even still - very happy to be progressing through this experience.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:11 PM   #32

I own a 99 and used to own an 03. A good option if you can't afford one, or even if you can, is a Miata. I had a '97 with LSD (limited slip) and it had a few advantages over the Boxsters:
- better gearbox.
- lighter and easier to toss around at low speeds in the corners which made for fun fishtails at safe speeds.
- never worried anyone would mess with it in a public parking lot.
- dirt cheap to fix and super reliable so never really had to fix it.

I've driven a v8 swap but never a SC or turbo version. If you want faster than a 986S you need to buy or build one or these.
Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #33

For some reason I've just never been a fan of the Miata. They dominate on the race track, and have been a ten best car via Car and Driver for ages, but I never found myself saying "Jeez, I really want a Mazda!" .... save the RX-7, that thing was gorgeous.

Same was true for the S2000.

I do feel some love for the Nissan 350/370Z cars though, the earlier is far below a $10k budget cap.

Personally though, when looking at any of these cars next to each other, the Porsche is far better looking. The long snout of the BMW Z4 is attractive, and while I do love BMW's I just keep getting called back to the Boxster.

Maybe it's because BMW has been building some great driving cars for years, while Porsche has been building amazing driving Sports Cars for years. I seem to feel if I purchased the BMW, it's almost as if I've pulled the trigger for a weekend car that needs to be a convertible...with the Boxster, I've purchased a weekend car that is a Porsche...that happens to be a convertible.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #34

Ok - so I did my test drive today.

Car was flawless - felt absolutely great. Good power deliver, no strange noises, no creaks, clutch engagement is a few inches from bottom of travel. Just fantastic, everything worked (heat, a/c, heated seats, etc). No rattles from the top when retracted, just a solid car. And the engine note from the intake is fantastic!!!!

We've got a PPI scheduled for Tuesday, and if all goes well I'll be a Porsche owner!

Curious about one thing. The car is a 2002 with black gauges, which have the little windows below the Speedometer and Fuel/Coolant Temp. Right now, the coolant temp side displays time, and the speedometer side shows speed. I've seen some cars (pre and post 2002) display speed on the larger screen directly under the tach, and I'm wondering if this car does that or not.

It only has three stalks on the steering column, so it may not be compatible to relocate the displays. Is that the case? I attached a photo below of the instrument cluster.

Oh, and BTW we decided to do a mini-PPI in the garage. Got the car up in the air, crawled around under the engine/transmission looking for leaks. Opened up the top engine cover, and forward engine cover. Went through the books of maintenance completed by the previous owners through the dealerships, along with maintenance completed by the current owner. Car looks very solid. PPI will be able to identify if there are any suspension problems (we noted none during the test drive) and of course any issues with steering (noted none during the test drive as well). These cars rock!!!!

Last edited by flynavyj; 01-20-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #35

Garage
The car is missing the OBC option that allows you to change the display. It is a relatively simple retrofit.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
The car is missing the OBC option that allows you to change the display. It is a relatively simple retrofit.
Thank you!
Old 01-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #37

Garage
I like to tease teens with their so called rice burner mods (I'm 58) while driving my 13 year old home after school. My 01 S makes these modern day teens quiver when I "gun it!" while they're showing off with their "fart cans" (exhaust); I have original exhaust. They immediately back off.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #38

What is your philosophy on the IMS? That gives me the most heartache, I have probably read too much at this point.

I also see you live in MO, I'm in PA and guessing we have a similar weather band. Do you plan on driving it year round?
gsy4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsy4771 View Post
What is your philosophy on the IMS? That gives me the most heartache, I have probably read too much at this point.

I also see you live in MO, I'm in PA and guessing we have a similar weather band. Do you plan on driving it year round?
Have heard the IMS issue is often overstated, but sadly from all my reading it does not offer signs of wear before failure (w/o removal of the bearing for inspection). Luckily there are many options for addressing the IMS's shortcomings.

The solution the "soon to be" previous owner used is known as "IMS Solutions" which includes a plain bearing to replace the ball bearing, and that plain bearing is lubricated by pressurized engine oil. End result, the unit is considered permanent and requires no additional maintenance (this I like). Some of the other solutions replace the bearing with a ceramic bearing, roller bearing, or new ball bearing, and each has a predetermined maintenance interval. Luckily, each allows you to not worry about the IMS until every other clutch change (approximately).

As to the car, no, it will not be daily driven. This will be a weekend car, and used to commute to work on nice days. I'd estimate 5000 miles a year, maybe less. The car I'm replacing averaged about 3,000 miles a year. This one will likely get slightly more use, as it has A/C, but still it won't be an all weather machine.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #40

Garage
The literature shows 10% of IMS fail reaching 100,000 miles