View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #15
Geof3

BMW Z4 isn’t too bad a choice potentially, my dad has a Z4 coupe and I really like it. BUT it’s cramped. I’m 5’10 and run around 200 athletic build and the Z4 was a bit tight. The storage (trunk) is very small. But it was fun to drive. However, my S is WAY more fun to drive and is simply a kick in the butt fun. I had a 1984 911 for 10 years, as much as I hate to say it, once a Porsche guy, always a Porsche guy. As Hammond says, “it has THE BADGE”.

Regarding the maint etc. If you get a well sorted one, barring something silly, they really aren’t bad at all and are very reliable. Things happen, the 986 is getting old. But still every bit worth it IMO. Absolutely incredible bang for the buck. If you go early year 2.7 the IMS situation is negligible. Other years, certainly a discussion point, but not necessarily a deal killer. The big bad boy expense is IMS, RMS, clutch. If you can find one that had these done some what recently that is potentially a good place to start. ALWAYS buy the newest and best maintained Pcar you can afford. Unless you like to tinker and wrench. These are rewarding cars, but need some TLC every now and then.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote