View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
flynavyj

Boxster, or something else?

Ok - Almost bought a cheap boxster about 4 years ago. Didn't (it was really really cheap - and I got scared off from maintenance possibilities.) Ended up buying an older Camaro (92) that had a LS1 swapped in it. Drove it for four years, and low and behold, I can now increase my budget...also, the boxster is now well within my budget, and I've seen many threads, posts, videos, articles describing the ~$10k Porsche Boxster.

Wife gave me the "ok" (long as the Camaro gets sold) and I'm free to jump into Porsche-Land...biggest fear, still...potential maintenance costs. I tend to do much of my own work, but don't want to see this car taking all my $$$ before I even get to enjoy it.

It'll be a spare car, used on weekends or to commute to work on nice weather days. Have a daily driver, so that's not it's purpose at all! Other cars I'm considering.

BMW Z3
BMW Z4
Chevrolet Corvette

Obviously the 986 is the only mid-engined car on this list. And I imagine it'll drive like a dream. I don't think I NEED to have a 300+ HP car at the moment, as a good driving car is more important to me than brute strength. Same time, the Corvette has been described often as being fairly nimble (albeit a bit porkier than a boxster)

Now I know this thread will likely be biased...but, if you were looking at the cars on the list. How would you rate them against the 986? (BTW - I'm basically looking non-S models...most of the "S" models are a bit above my ~$10k budget...can go up slightly, but not significantly.
flynavyj is offline   Reply With Quote