Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2018, 10:27 AM   #21

I should rejoin. Maybe it is better now.

I was with the Santa Barbara region for a few years. The egomaniac president really turned me off. I was sitting at a table for breakfast and mentioned that I belonged to the "R GRUPPE" the guy next to me went off on a street racing rant that would not end.

I was leaving one meeting behind a member and his wife, as they walked by by 1973 Carrera RS he commented on the primer on a fender we were fixing....."why would you bring and old piece of junk like that to a PCA meeting" he quipped.

I really should give it another try.

1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post

I was with the Santa Barbara region for a few years. The egomaniac president really turned me off. I was sitting at a table for breakfast and mentioned that I belonged to the "R GRUPPE" the guy next to me went off on a street racing rant that would not end.

I was leaving one meeting behind a member and his wife, as they walked by by 1973 Carrera RS he commented on the primer on a fender we were fixing....."why would you bring and old piece of junk like that to a PCA meeting" he quipped.

Wow that’s interesting. How long ago was this? Older air cooled have been a hot market lately so i would assume they would be drooling over it.

For the OP. Joining PCA for me was probably the best thing I did since owning a Porsche. I was a Porsche owner for 13 years before joining. Was I glad I did. Like some others I’m not a track guy but don’t mind attending once in a great while. A lot of fun when I’m there. The best part i like are the get together, weekend get away tours and Porsche Parade. I attend as many as my schedule allows and I haven’t been bored yet. In 10 years of PCA membership I’ve been to 3 Parades, one Escape and countless driving tours. Enjoyed each one of them.

I hear rumors that next year or 2020 Parade will be in San Diego. I heard the last one there was one of the best Parade in decades.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Have been to more than a few dinners with Hurley when he was the VP of the former Brumos Porsche.

I disagree with Quad, Panorama is an excellent magazine for the membership cost alone plus it's digital as well. With my PCA membership I get discounted insurance from Leland-West (garaged and not driven that much), plus reductions on parts if I need to hit the dealer (honestly sometimes they're cheaper than going online).

I have my PCA decal on the bottom driver's side. Hell, I even put one on my Subaru in the same spot. It's not a lie.
One on my Jeep as well. Why not? And I think Pano is very good. If nothing else it has very high production quality.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfix View Post

Well, there is ALWAYS THAT guy/gal.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #25
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! For $46 a year you get access to the mag, the discounts, the track/AX events and schools, driving tours, social events and many other things. But, as the saying goes, it’s not just the cars, it’s the people. I’ve made several strong friendships through my membership, and while there will always be those that you may not think highly of in any group - you can just ignore them and gravitate towards those you do think highly of. Just ask someone about their car, and you will be certain to get an interesting conversation. Volunteer for events, and you’ll be certain to gain many new friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:04 PM   #26
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Well, there is ALWAYS THAT guy/gal.
Yep, and they are in every school, business, hospital, club, or association. I never take that scheit personally and think it reflects far more on the individual bozo than the organization. Seeking kindred spirits and ignoring the azzwipes works best I think.

Last edited by Topless; 01-03-2018 at 10:02 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
ehh, depends strongly on the region and how into cars you are.

I disagree with Tom, Panorama is a terrible magazine and after about 5 minutes of looking at the pics, it goes in the trash.

Some regions are very active and do good events. Others are more sit and chat oriented, which can get old. Some regions the track events are like the wild west while others are like nazi germany. Its very region dependent.

Further, if you like the occasional chat about cars, I think its more interesting to go to the local cars and coffee where you get a variety of cars, not just porsches.

I became a member solely for the discount on track days, I have no use for the other stuff.
That sounds about as good as the PCGB magazine then. All that has in it is lists of what all the clubs did the month before.

Goes in the trash without being opened now.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:23 AM   #28

Rejoined PCA after a ~25 yr absence when I bought my 986 in Feb ‘17. Not yet active in Zone 1 CNY region but I plan to be starting this spring even though it’s generally ~2 hrs each way for me to get to events.

I rejoined to reconnect to the Porsche community, get a feel for what’s going on in the Porsche world these days and have access to the PCA web resources and provider referrals. I just joined the PCA 986 Register / forum last night. No idea yet how valuable that will be.

I like the production quality and content of Panorama and I accept it for what it is. For me, Panorama alone is worth the annual membership cost.

Like Robert K, I don’t do decals or stickers anywhere but on my garage walls. To each his own on this point. It’s good we have diverse likes and dislikes, too boring otherwise.

Regarding other peoples’ expressed opinions at events (and on the street for that matter) - whatever . . . as in any affinity group there are great people and there are j@ck@sses. Life is too short to let the bad people into my sphere of consciousness
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Yep, and they are in every school, business, hospital, club, or association. I never take that scheit personally and think it reflects far more on the individual bozo than the organization. Seeking kindred spirits and ignoring the azzwipes works best I think.
GOOD POINT.......It was a few years ago, and I do like the new pres.
1990 Chevrolet pu pre runner
boxfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:33 PM   #30

15 plus year member. Definitely worth the membership even if it's just for the magazine which has undergone a complete transformation in the last few years. It used to be just okay but it has certainly evolved into a high quality piece. Everything else the club offers is a plus and yeah just ignore the few asshats.

89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote