Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,289
AOS. Old? New? Newer?

So I've read enough in the forums to understand the importance of the AOS, and how it can flop anytime and unannounced.

A while back, when I was cleaning the throttle body and such, I wiped off the AOS and recognized it as an "older" AOS because the top was round. I knew that the "newer" AOS arived with the top, if you will, the round top... now was on the side. OK.

So, I finished my gig... put the lid back on the engine... closed it up.

Frequently read the forum posts... follow leads... and stumbled upon a post illustrating and describing how to replace the rubber/silicone diaphragm... and that you could do this only upon an "older" AOS, because the "newer" ones were sealed. Sealed meaning the round top... cap... couldn't be removed. The post illustrated how to remove the top on the older style... with the four prong-looking things you would finagle, each slowly, until the lid popped off. It was an R&R from there.

So... I purchased a couple of those diaphragms thinking I would mitigate having to replace the AOS with an $8 fix.

Yesterday went to check the diaphragm on the AOS. No tabs. Those four tabs, an Noon, 3, 6, and 9? Not there. I examined the top with a light... and it appears that the lid... the top... the round... is sealed on. So... this leads to some inquiries for which I'm hoping someone can provide responses. Thank you, in advance.

1. Did the 1998 Boxster arrive with an AOS with the removable top, with the 4 prongs?

2. Did the 1998 Boxster arrive with an AOS with a sealed top, absent the 4 prongs?

3. In order of market arrival would it be: A. Round on top, with 4 prongs. Then maybe a "part improvement" with the next version arriving, B. Round on top, sealed. Then followed by the current version with the "top" on the side, and sealed. Just wondering if that wasn't the development progression.

4. Would the AOS, in my car now, as I described... round on top, sealed, be the second AOS in the car? That's assuming it arrived with the "first generation... round on top... 4 prongs.

Thank you for your consideration.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Stow, MA
Posts: 837
Garage
You are nuts trying to save a buck by replacing the diaphragm yourself. You are putting the car at risk in order to save a few bucks. Do yourself a favor and buy a new AOS from the hosts of this forum. A genuine Porsche AOS is only $102!

Especially considering that you are not an experienced mechanic or DYIer.
__________________
2004 Boxster S Silver - FUNTOY
2002 Boxster Base Guardsy Red - FUNBOX
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
2015 Chevrolet Volt
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,329
Suggestion. Post the model year of your car in the message. Helps the person trying to answer your questions.

Unusual that this forum doesn't provide a means to store in the profile or display with each postings the P-car ownings of the posting person.

Last edited by mikefocke; 12-03-2017 at 09:26 AM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
You are nuts trying to save a buck by replacing the diaphragm yourself. You are putting the car at risk in order to save a few bucks. Do yourself a favor and buy a new AOS from the hosts of this forum. A genuine Porsche AOS is only $102!

Especially considering that you are not an experienced mechanic or DYIer.



Sorry. 1998 Boxster.

I'm fairly handy (89' 535i ~170K. 86' 325es ~290K).

It wasn't the $102... it was what I believed a prudent way to go. IIRC there are no internal moving parts, and the only 'wear' item, aside from gaskets, is the diaphragm. The install doesn't frighten me, as I'll be taking off the rear wheel... removing shrouds... and tackling it from above and below.

Unless someone suggests otherwise.

Thank you for your continued consideration of my inquiries.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Washington
Posts: 16
I'd just replace the whole AOS, clip(comes set up to drop in), upper pipe(996-107-145-06), and lower seal. You should not need to remove the wheel. That lower bolt is easy enough to access without going to that. You'll need to put the top in "service position" and get some access through the upper engine access panel.
Good luck with it.
Regards
77'911s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,241
Garage
1. Did the 1998 Boxster arrive with an AOS with the removable top, with the 4 prongs?

2. Did the 1998 Boxster arrive with an AOS with a sealed top, absent the 4 prongs?

3. In order of market arrival would it be: A. Round on top, with 4 prongs. Then maybe a "part improvement" with the next version arriving, B. Round on top, sealed. Then followed by the current version with the "top" on the side, and sealed. Just wondering if that wasn't the development progression.

4. Would the AOS, in my car now, as I described... round on top, sealed, be the second AOS in the car? That's assuming it arrived with the "first generation... round on top... 4 prongs.

Thank you for your consideration.[/QUOTE]

1. I have been on this forum & others since about 2005 daily & never heard or saw anything about a removable diaphram.

2. I was "positive" the 1st gen AOS with horizontal diaphram was discontinued sometime in 1997 when the new current version was fazed into production.

3. To the best of my knowledge "3" is correct if you eliminate "A".

4. Is your Box a USA car?
__________________
2000 S Speed Yellow LN 3.6L cylinders & pistons, triple row IMSB upgrade, R&R connecting rods, billet tensioner paddle&,oilpump driveshaft.Heads rebuilt by F6I with new valves & springs.Cayman airbox & MAF housing, 996 intake plenum & 75mm T/B. Fabspeedsport converters &Dansk muffler
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
Registered User
 
oldskool73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 335
I have a 97 that still had the original 'flat' AOS in until I changed it a few months ago. It was sealed and not serviceable at all. I'm also pretty sure there was NO version of the 986 AOS that was serviceable.

What I think happened (pure speculation...) is that some cars (e.g the Cayenne) do have a replaceable AOS diaphragm, but Porsche stopped selling them individually (see Porsche Cayenne Repairing the Air-Oil Separator | 2003-2008 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article) ... some 3rd parties started making and selling them on eBay, and incorrectly labeled them as compatible with the 986, thus creating this confusion.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:15 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
I have a 97 that still had the original 'flat' AOS in until I changed it a few months ago. It was sealed and not serviceable at all. I'm also pretty sure there was NO version of the 986 AOS that was serviceable.

What I think happened (pure speculation...) is that some cars (e.g the Cayenne) do have a replaceable AOS diaphragm, but Porsche stopped selling them individually (see Porsche Cayenne Repairing the Air-Oil Separator | 2003-2008 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article) ... some 3rd parties started making and selling them on eBay, and incorrectly labeled them as compatible with the 986, thus creating this confusion.
Yes. That would be the one. Arghhh. So, it'll be the complete AOS replacement... when that time comes.

If anyone has the "serviceable" AOS I've 2 new diaphragms. PM me.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
You are nuts trying to save a buck by replacing the diaphragm yourself. You are putting the car at risk in order to save a few bucks. Do yourself a favor and buy a new AOS from the hosts of this forum. A genuine Porsche AOS is only $102!

Especially considering that you are not an experienced mechanic or DYIer.
I actually give the OP a thumbs up for taking DIY a step further than general parts replacement. Individuals like this are good people to have around as they can teach us a few things. If he had a bad alternator he would probably try to see why and replace a worn brush for a few bucks than several hundred for a new alternator. Most shops replace the whole component because Time is money and they also make money on the parts. This thread sure taught me something new.
__________________
2008 Boxster S PDE2
02 Boxster S Blk on Blk(Stock for the Wife)
88 turbo S (My Toy) slightly modified
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
I actually give the OP a thumbs up for taking DIY a step further than general parts replacement. Individuals like this are good people to have around as they can teach us a few things. If he had a bad alternator he would probably try to see why and replace a worn brush for a few bucks than several hundred for a new alternator. Most shops replace the whole component because Time is money and they also make money on the parts. This thread sure taught me something new.
Thank you.

I pursued that direction because the part was, literally, staring me right in the face. And, the diaphragm replacement seemed the obvious, first, easiest, and least costly, replacement measure. Especially since there was the step-by of the process. No biggy to replace the AOS, although I was disappointed to see the absence of those tabs.

I won't be needing the 2 diaphragms I have, if anyone's interested. Gratis.

Thank you for the compliment. If I had what I diagnosed as a bad alternator I might take it to the alternator shop in town.

Finally, anything I know about my car I've learned from this forum. Tricks. Techniques. Methods. Tools. Ancillaries. Virtually an answer to any question one might have.

Thank you.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #11
Registered User
 
marck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 64
Garage
I did my 98 not long ago. It had the original horizontal round top. You will find the original vent line from the throttle body to the AOS will be short for the new AOS. Even if you could service the original I'm not sure you could get a new vent line, if you were to break it. I found a number of the plastic parts in there were rather brittle and broke a few of them trying to get the AOS out.

Here's the thread on that. Oil Air Separator vent line short!
marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:57 AM   #12
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by marck View Post
I did my 98 not long ago. It had the original horizontal round top. You will find the original vent line from the throttle body to the AOS will be short for the new AOS. Even if you could service the original I'm not sure you could get a new vent line, if you were to break it. I found a number of the plastic parts in there were rather brittle and broke a few of them trying to get the AOS out.

Here's the thread on that. Oil Air Separator vent line short!
When I cleaned my throttle body I removed that line.. and it was/is solid as a rock. Nothing brittle about it. Looks as good as new.

I did see the new AOS... it's in my project list along with 2 lines. On Peli it shows 2 lines. 1 for upper line and 1 for lower line? If I purchase the new AOS, do I need both of those lines or just the top one? Thank you.

I know I'll be discarding the existing upper line. Likely, after I install the new one, the old (solid) line will be up for grabs.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:55 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
When I cleaned my throttle body I removed that line.. and it was/is solid as a rock. Nothing brittle about it. Looks as good as new.

I did see the new AOS... it's in my project list along with 2 lines. On Peli it shows 2 lines. 1 for upper line and 1 for lower line? If I purchase the new AOS, do I need both of those lines or just the top one? Thank you.

I know I'll be discarding the existing upper line. Likely, after I install the new one, the old (solid) line will be up for grabs.
If I purchase the new AOS, do I need both of those lines or just the top one? Thank you.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Unusual that this forum doesn't provide a means to store in the profile or display with each postings the P-car ownings of the posting person.
This Forum operates on a platform that was originally used for internet bulletin boards. The original version (Ver 2) was launched in 2001 with Ver 3 launch in 2004. Ver 3.8 (the site runs 3.8.7) was released in 2011.

It still probably supports 1200 baud AOL dial up connections.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-08-2017 at 08:54 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:59 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Oldcarguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: North Eastern US
Posts: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Suggestion. Post the model year of your car in the message. Helps the person trying to answer your questions.

Unusual that this forum doesn't provide a means to store in the profile or display with each postings the P-car ownings of the posting person.
you can put them in your signature and they will be included automatically at the end of each of your posts.
__________________
Rgds, Fred
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #16
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,273
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
This Forum operates on a platform that was originally used for internet bulletin boards. The original version (Ver 2) was launched in 2001 with Ver 3 launch in 2004. Ver 3.8 (the site runs 3.8.7) was released in 2011.

It still probably supports 1200 baud AOL dial up connections.
The cars are 1997 - 2004. I think the forum will be fine as long as we remain compatible with Win 98 and AOL dial-up access.
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page