Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 08:23 AM   #1

Garage
European vs US spec REAR BUMPER

Hey y'all,

Wondering if you can help me out with the difference between these two stock rear bumpers. Besides the rear bumperette being on the US spec rear bumper, is there anything else that's different? If the bumperettes were removed, would the width of where you mount your license plate be, the same width of the Euro spec rear bumper? Are the fitments the same, as in, would the Euro spec rear bumper fit on a us boxster? Any info is very very much appreciated!

Thank you,
Randy

2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #2

from what i know, only differences - no bumperettes, and opening for rear tow hook in different place (ultimately you would have to change your rear bumper bar, or drill and tap your existing bumper bar, in order to be able to use the rear tow hook).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
from what i know, only differences - no bumperettes, and opening for rear tow hook in different place (ultimately you would have to change your rear bumper bar, or drill and tap your existing bumper bar, in order to be able to use the rear tow hook).
Worth checking to see if the bumper bar is drilled on both sides. I feel sorry for you guys with the ugly bumpertte monstrosities.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
I feel sorry for you guys with the ugly bumpertte monstrosities.
Yeah, they’re pretty fugly.
Unlike most of the rest of the world, we in North America have the narrower width number plates and I think some Stuttgart engineer came up with bumperettes to punish us, I mean fill in the extra width.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
Pathological Tinkerer

To fit the euro spec bumper on the US car you will also have to cut the bumperette mounts off of your impact bar. They protrude through the bumper cover and the bumperettes bolt to them. Here is a couple of shots of my impact bar with bumperettes cut off in prep for an aftermarket euro type bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote