Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 05:18 AM   #1

Garage
Oil Air Separator vent line short!

So I replaced the original Oil Air Separator on my 98 Boxster. Also replace the oil filler tube because it broke into several peaces when trying to unhook it. Also replaced several vacuum lines that also broke. Lots of brittle plastic in there. Now I'm putting all back together and the and the last piece ,the vent line from the separator to the throttle body (996 107 145 06), is an inch too short to connect to the separator! AAAAHHH! #$%!

So yea I could order the part and wait another week, I'm in a near Porsche parts desert out here in Indiana. But can you apply a heat gun to the tube and get it to flex enough to hook up? Other Ideas?

I'm checking with dealer parts shops but they are a fair drive from where I'm at. It would be nice to actually drive this Boxster before the weather turns.

marck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:22 AM   #2

If it's too short maybe something is not aligned? Is this a new part that you just received? I just replaced one and it was a perfect fit.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marck View Post
So I replaced the original Oil Air Separator on my 98 Boxster. Also replace the oil filler tube because it broke into several peaces when trying to unhook it. Also replaced several vacuum lines that also broke. Lots of brittle plastic in there. Now I'm putting all back together and the and the last piece ,the vent line from the separator to the throttle body (996 107 145 06), is an inch too short to connect to the separator! AAAAHHH! #$%!

So yea I could order the part and wait another week, I'm in a near Porsche parts desert out here in Indiana. But can you apply a heat gun to the tube and get it to flex enough to hook up? Other Ideas?

I'm checking with dealer parts shops but they are a fair drive from where I'm at. It would be nice to actually drive this Boxster before the weather turns.
Factory part or aftermarket?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #4

Garage
The short vent line is the original from when the car left the factory. It's stamped with a 1997 date. The separator is Genuine Porsche from Pelican. I just checked around on Pelican and there is one note in the comments about needing a new vent pipe for the 97 and 98 if you replace the separator. I added a new note about it also. That really should be something in the part description.

So for anyone else. The original Oil Air Separator on the 97 and 98 Boxster has a round part on top that is horizontal or parallel to the ground. The new part, in the pictures on the Pelican site, has that round part oriented vertically or perpendicular to the ground. This makes the original vent pipe from the throttle body to the separator short. I'll get pictures up later after I get home from work.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #5

Garage
Well I managed to get a fix setup that will work until I can get real parts. Here's the details.

Apparently the original AOS on early 97 & 98 Boxster is a bit different than later models. Mine looks like this. Note the horizontal round section. It's a bit beat up after I threw it across the garage post extraction

Note the flat top.

New ones are like this example form Pelican Parts. Note the vertical round section.

Here is the original 98 vent tube on the car with the new AOS. It's about 1" short. Apparently if you order the new vent tube it will be the right length to fit the new AOS.

To fix it for now I cut the the Vent tube in the middle of the straightest part. The inside diameter is just under 3/4" or about 18mm. I happen to have some 1/2" EDM conduit lying around that fit inside the tube perfectly, nice and tight. So I cut about 1 1/2" length of tubing off, with a tubing cutter, and spliced it in line for a temp fix. The car runs fine. Here's the fix in place. New AOS at the top of the image.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #6

Brilliant !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:01 AM   #7

Title this under:
"Subtile things that don't show up on Velocity channel when they rebuild a car in 30 minutes!"
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Title this under:
"Subtile things that don't show up on Velocity channel when they rebuild a car in 30 minutes!"
Exactly, they don't show the hours that interns spend researching all the necessary parts and don't for funky tools needed.