View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 06:57 AM   #1
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

AOS. Old? New? Newer?

So I've read enough in the forums to understand the importance of the AOS, and how it can flop anytime and unannounced.

A while back, when I was cleaning the throttle body and such, I wiped off the AOS and recognized it as an "older" AOS because the top was round. I knew that the "newer" AOS arived with the top, if you will, the round top... now was on the side. OK.

So, I finished my gig... put the lid back on the engine... closed it up.

Frequently read the forum posts... follow leads... and stumbled upon a post illustrating and describing how to replace the rubber/silicone diaphragm... and that you could do this only upon an "older" AOS, because the "newer" ones were sealed. Sealed meaning the round top... cap... couldn't be removed. The post illustrated how to remove the top on the older style... with the four prong-looking things you would finagle, each slowly, until the lid popped off. It was an R&R from there.

So... I purchased a couple of those diaphragms thinking I would mitigate having to replace the AOS with an $8 fix.

Yesterday went to check the diaphragm on the AOS. No tabs. Those four tabs, an Noon, 3, 6, and 9? Not there. I examined the top with a light... and it appears that the lid... the top... the round... is sealed on. So... this leads to some inquiries for which I'm hoping someone can provide responses. Thank you, in advance.

1. Did the 1998 Boxster arrive with an AOS with the removable top, with the 4 prongs?

2. Did the 1998 Boxster arrive with an AOS with a sealed top, absent the 4 prongs?

3. In order of market arrival would it be: A. Round on top, with 4 prongs. Then maybe a "part improvement" with the next version arriving, B. Round on top, sealed. Then followed by the current version with the "top" on the side, and sealed. Just wondering if that wasn't the development progression.

4. Would the AOS, in my car now, as I described... round on top, sealed, be the second AOS in the car? That's assuming it arrived with the "first generation... round on top... 4 prongs.

Thank you for your consideration.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote