Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #1

best way to replace outer cv boot?

Hi guys,

I noticed a little bit of grease sipping out from one of my outer cv boots (around the clamp) and the rubber itself looks old so it's time for new boots. I caught it early and I have no clunks or other noise from there so I am assuming cv joints are good.

I got 2 boots, 4 clamps and 4 wt. oz. of CV grease (is that enough for both sides) on the way.

I've been trying to figure out what's the best way to replace the outer boots (inner boots were done some time ago). According to pelican parts write up (Porsche Boxster CV Joints and Boot / Axle Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article) there are two ways: drop the wheel bearing carrier or drop the exhaust and sway bar. I would rather not mess with the wheel carrier (I'm SO tired of messing with it after suspension work) but not too keen on the exhaust either (I'm on my 4th exhaust so.. ugh..exhaust work). I am aware that I would need to remove the outer axle nut but that wouldnt be a big deal compared to that wheel bearing carrier.

Considering I have secondary cat delete pipes (your typical Top Speed cheapies, no larger diameter ones) would I still need to remove the exhaust or could I squeeze the shaft out by maybe raising the tranny a bit with a transmission jack?

What do you guys think? Any tips in any of those directions would be welcome from anyone who has done it before.

Thanks in advance,

Cristian

Last edited by CrisZenithBlue; 05-18-2017 at 10:42 AM.
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #2

I've done exactly this, with your configuration (2nd bypass). You have to pull the axles: (maybe drop swaybar), skid plate, diagonal truss, and bypass pipes, disconnect axles at tranny (duh), undo wheel nut and tap axle assy inbd and down/out. I had to use a bearing puller on one side to free an axle shaft, hopefully yours isn't frozen in the hub.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #3

Remember to loosen the axle nut BEFORE you start.It is very tight. Search for more.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
And replace the axle nut as well. They are 1 time use
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by navair View Post
I've done exactly this, with your configuration (2nd bypass). You have to pull the axles: (maybe drop swaybar), skid plate, diagonal truss, and bypass pipes, disconnect axles at tranny (duh), undo wheel nut and tap axle assy inbd and down/out. I had to use a bearing puller on one side to free an axle shaft, hopefully yours isn't frozen in the hub.
Were you able to pull the pipes without loosening up the muffler?

I'm planning to do the work myself at a shop so I will use the airgun to undo the nuts. I did it before not so long ago and both sides came out easy so I'm not too worried.

I'll order some axle nuts as well.. I didnt replace them last time.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #6

i was able to do it by just disconnecting the midpipe at the header and letting it drop a bit (mebbe loosen it at the muffler) and only on the driver side if i recall correctly - no need on the pssgr side. put a jack under the hub and compress the suspension to make it easier.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
i was able to do it by just disconnecting the midpipe at the header and letting it drop a bit (mebbe loosen it at the muffler) and only on the driver side if i recall correctly - no need on the pssgr side. put a jack under the hub and compress the suspension to make it easier.
Ah! that's what I was hoping to hear. I'll give that a shot before I unbolt more.
good tip!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:43 AM   #8

guys just to confirm.. boots and clamps are identical for both inner and outer right? at least that's what I saw when I bought the parts but just want to make sure.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #9

different according to PET. been a while since i did the job so can't confirm.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #10

I did some more research and all boots I can find say:
"Axle Boot (Rear Left Inner, Left or Right Rear Outer Rear Right Inner,)"

so they are the same.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:29 PM   #11
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Just finished this job. All4 the same.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Just finished this job. All4 the same.
gotta love this forum!

how did you tackle it?
Old 05-18-2017, 04:55 PM   #13

How many hours? Mine is torn.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #14
Artist, 986S tinkerer

I've done this job in 2 ways (on 2 different cars). On my tip I dropped out the cats and other things in the way, in order to lower the inner joints. These cv joints need to be removed (good time to check them for scoring and repack the grease). Then it's just clip the bands, slide off/on the new boots and clamps, and put it back together, torque to spec.
The 2nd car was done when I changed the rear struts. For this you need to undo the inner suspension arms and will require an alignment afterwards. Use this method only if you are replacing other suspension parts.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
You're right, I forgot about compressing the suspension!
navair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:13 AM   #16

I finally tackled it!

I removed the axle nut with an impact gun (thank god), removed the plate under the tranny, removed the bolts where the cat delete pipes meet the first set of cats and twisted the pipes downward. I was able to squeeze out the CV axles with very little effort, same when putting them back in.

Sucky part was when I realized I had to remove the inner boots (which were already replaced a while back) just to slide in the new outer boots. Guess I should have done more research because I was unprepared with not enough grease and clamps. I had to reuse clamps and they didnt go as tight as I needed them.

I had some that are the same style as these from Pelican, virtually the same:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1044/POR_1044_SUSAXL_pg2.htm

Can anyone recommend some they used and worked well? The small 34mm ones worked but the larger 73mm simply didnt go on tight enough and were spinning on the boot.

Also, if I never see joint grease again it will be too soon!
Old 06-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #17
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Dorman has been making split CV boots forever. I remember using them on my VW +/- 40 years ago. I've used them on a Saturn and a Subaru. No need to pull the axle out, disturb the wheel alignment, spending hours of time fighting with frozen joints and high torque nuts.

There has to be a boot in their catalog that would work on our Boxsters. I just sent their tech support an email.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Dorman has been making split CV boots forever. I remember using them on my VW +/- 40 years ago. I've used them on a Saturn and a Subaru. No need to pull the axle out, disturb the wheel alignment, spending hours of time fighting with frozen joints and high torque nuts.

There has to be a boot in their catalog that would work on our Boxsters. I just sent their tech support an email.
Those split boots are a decent temporary patch but in no way do they really save the axles or last all that long from my experience. If your boot is torn, not only did the grease leak out but dirt likely got in there and the grease that is there is contaminated. The cv needs to be taken apart (use a brass hammer or plastic mallet to pop them to not damage anything) it needs to be cleaned, repacked and use factory style clamps if you want it to stay on tight, the tool to compress them is cheap like $10 on ebay. This is pretty simple and if you are unsure how to do it just watch some youtube videos. One other thing to keep in mind is that you are supposed to replace the axle nut and it is ok to impact them off but they need to be torqued to spec going back on, you can keep the hub from spinning by using the parking brake or just put a screwdriver in the vanes up against the caliper to hold it. Not using proper torque or excessive torque from an impact will cause premature wheel/hub bearing failure that may take a few months or even longer to show up but in extreme cases of over torque it can show up much sooner.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdz View Post
Those split boots are a decent temporary patch....
Point taken and I agree. Given that a lot of owners change water pumps, IMS bearings, etc. preemptively, why not CV boots before they crack/split? I hope somebody at Dorman will respond sometime this week.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisZenithBlue View Post
Can anyone recommend some they used and worked well? The small 34mm ones worked but the larger 73mm simply didnt go on tight enough and were spinning on the boot.

Also, if I never see joint grease again it will be too soon!
I've got a pair of Porsche CV clamps (I found them!) I'll take to Napa and find out an equivalent part # and report back .

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote