Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #21
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
Learn something new every day: You can't change an IMS without taking the engine apart.
what JFP meant to say, is if you wish to do it in the dealership, theoretically they will need to take the engine apart. the reason is, porsche do not replace the bearing but the whole IMS assembly.

Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #22

In theory (covered in another JFP thread) you can use Durametric deviation readings (bouncing line) to observe the effect of a worn/wobbling IMSB. How much warning you get with this I don't know. But it helps make the case for using your Durametric every time you change oil or even more frequently to develop a history and familiarity with this tool. And getting a filter slitter if you have a spin-on.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
what JFP meant to say, is if you wish to do it in the dealership, theoretically they will need to take the engine apart. the reason is, porsche do not replace the bearing but the whole IMS assembly.
No, I meant what I said. Some years ago, Porsche released a factory TSB on the IMS bearing, stating that their "official" position was that the bearing could not be removed and replaced with the engine assembled, as it would result in "irreparable damage" to the engine, requiring engine replacement, which would not be covered under warranty. For a long time, shops kept copies of this TSB on their walls while they went ahead and did what Porsche said could not be done every day of the week. Porsche meanwhile also released the updated oversized bearing, which can only be purchased as an assembled shaft, which would require disassembly, and could not fit through the IMS shaft opening in any case. Meanwhile, many dealerships actually went against the factory and actually sent their techs to Jake's classes on how to replace the single and dual row versions with the engine still in the car and assembled. Eventually, Porsche simply stopped talking about it at all, but still only offers the oversized IMS bearing in the shaft.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
In theory (covered in another JFP thread) you can use Durametric deviation readings (bouncing line) to observe the effect of a worn/wobbling IMSB. How much warning you get with this I don't know. But it helps make the case for using your Durametric every time you change oil or even more frequently to develop a history and familiarity with this tool. And getting a filter slitter if you have a spin-on.
We have only seen a very small handful of cars do this, and quite plainly it was a moot point anyway, as further examination showed the filter and sump full of ferrous grit, eliminating the chance of a retrofit without a full rebuild.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:24 PM   #25
Beginner

Garage
Treat this like a "lifetime" timing belt. Change it. Use anything from a steel deep groove ball bearing you source yourself over the internet for a few bucks, which you'll need to service again in a few years, to a custom made plain bearing for a few grand you'll never have to change or think about again. Or you can just leave the bearing in place and bet it won't bother you. You'll be right 92% of the time for a single row, and 99% of the time for a double row if you decide not to worry about it.

Last edited by Jamesp; 05-13-2017 at 05:28 AM.
Jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #26

The only problem with using the figures from the class action lawsuit is that those figures were out of date the day after they were written, more so by the time they were submitted to the judge, more so by the time they were published. Not to mention that they were even wrong when compiled because Porsche didn't see all the failures via their dealers as people were swapping engines from wrecks in via indies or by themselves long before the IMS publicity that lead to the class action lawsuit. Many of the cars were out of warranty so lots of folks abandoned the dealer network especially since they were less than helpful on the issue of engines with ground up bits of metal in them.

Since the time of the compilation of the figures by the lawyers for Porsche, the long time to settle the lawsuit has elapsed plus more years and miles on the cars since then so even via normal wear the figures would be higher by now. Which is why I try to answer the question in terms of per car/per year estimates.

As for if the problem is real, I know of several cars which had a failure and then a failure in the replacement engine. And of course lots of cars which never had the problem.

It isn't real until you are the one writing the big check.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
The only problem with using the figures from the class action lawsuit is that those figures were out of date the day after they were written, more so by the time they were submitted to the judge, more so by the time they were published. Not to mention that they were even wrong when compiled because Porsche didn't see all the failures via their dealers as people were swapping engines from wrecks in via indies or by themselves long before the IMS publicity that lead to the class action lawsuit. Many of the cars were out of warranty so lots of folks abandoned the dealer network especially since they were less than helpful on the issue of engines with ground up bits of metal in them.

Since the time of the compilation of the figures by the lawyers for Porsche, the long time to settle the lawsuit has elapsed plus more years and miles on the cars since then so even via normal wear the figures would be higher by now. Which is why I try to answer the question in terms of per car/per year estimates.

As for if the problem is real, I know of several cars which had a failure and then a failure in the replacement engine. And of course lots of cars which never had the problem.

It isn't real until you are the one writing the big check.
Where's the "Like" button? We need a "Like" button!
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #28
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:

Since the time of the compilation of the figures by the lawyers for Porsche, the long time to settle the lawsuit has elapsed plus more years and miles on the cars since then so even via normal wear the figures would be higher by now. Which is why I try to answer the question in terms of per car/per year estimates. ...
Then factor in how many *would have* failed by now, but were preemptively replaced. No doubt the failure rate for the single row bearings is above 10% if you consider all factors. Also if you have thought there was a mileage point after which you could assume you were safe, that has also been dis-proven by some of the ~100k mile failures reported on the forum.

The analogy of the timing belt is a good one if you don't get too anal about the details; Consider it a regular maintenance item per mileage interval, based on your chosen solution. ...or just hope it lasts till you reach another 'mode of failure'.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #29

Hey, that is one even I hadn't thought of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Then factor in how many *would have* failed by now, but were preemptively replaced.
What is the number replaced now, maybe 20k?

Another simulated like button pushed.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:25 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
What does the clutch lasting 20K miles have to do with anything?
Have you been following the thread?

Clutch job means it's your opportunity to change the RMS and IMS, due to cost effectiveness.

What if you're clutch is still good? What do you do???? What about the children????

"Bridge mean more traffic. More traffic mean more money ..."

sheesh.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #31

Quote:
What is the number replaced now, maybe 20k?

Another simulated like button pushed.
More like 25K+ the last I heard Mike.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Well PIDJeon You might want to get your VAGINA hat resized, I think it's cutting blood off to your brain. Look at your posts, these are from someone on here since all of FEB and you're judging his credibility??? Read your posts and look in a mirror, there is/was only one insulting and acting like a left wing twerp here. You are way overboard and while JFP can certainly handle himself a post like yours leaves me pissed to the point I am compelled to respond. With your attitude here's hoping you end your post count at 89. Enjoy the Cheesecake Factory and lest I forget GFY!!
Lol! Well I think it's clear why some of these cars get vandalized. Smell ya later. You're all class.

Last edited by pidj; 05-13-2017 at 07:34 PM.
pidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 11:52 PM   #33

Ok, here's my take on it...

There wouldn't have been a class action lawsuit brought against them, and PCNA wouldn't have settled, if there wasn't some merit to the argument that the single row bearings have a higher than acceptable failure rate.

If it worries you, have an LN ceramic bearing installed. Any shop that does it should pre-qualify your engine (by checking for metal debris in the oil filter and sump) before doing it. If they find metal, start sourcing a good used replacement engine or commit to tearing it down and rebuilding it.

If you never want to have to worry about the IMS bearing again, have an IMS solution installed. This will only prevent your engine from going boom from an IMS bearing failure. There are lots of other things that can cause your engine to go boom... (in my case it was a horribly stretched main timing chain which we caught just in time).

Whether it worries you or not, just get out there and drive it ("like you stole it").

Last edited by BirdDog; 05-15-2017 at 09:42 AM.
BirdDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #34
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
JFP has provided more valuable advise on owning and maintaining a Boxster along with Jake Raby and Pedro Bonilla then anyone else on this form, maybe throw in Mike Focke and Macster.

They have the knowledge and facts to back up their opinions because they have worked on 100's if not 1000's of Porsches. I will take their advise over anyone who has owned only one or two Porsches. Their knowledge is empirical, mine and most others on this board are only anecdotal in origin.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
JFP has provided more valuable advise on owning and maintaining a Boxster along with Jake Raby and Pedro Bonilla then anyone else on this form, maybe throw in Mike Focke and Macster.

They have the knowledge and facts to back up their opinions because they have worked on 100's if not 1000's of Porsches. I will take their advise over anyone who has owned only one or two Porsches. Their knowledge is empirical, mine and most others on this board are only anecdotal in origin.
Given the length of time that they have been advising, I would not dispute that. It doesn't give one the license to be condescending or disdainful. My original comment was almost rhetorical in nature that if an owner wishes to handle IMS work at the same time as clutch work (many threads here mentioning that as a best practice) that's great, but what if the owner still has a 'perfect' clutch? Then they (the owner) have a decision to make.

If you read a question or comment on a thread (in ANY user forum) that you think is stupid, or pointless or evidence of someone being mentally retarded (to use hyperbole), why answer it? Just move on. If you think that it's all of the above, but you actually wish to help, then ask for clarification. It may be a matter of semantics or other as to why you think that way.

P.S. the "You" is a generalization of a the forum user

Last edited by pidj; 05-14-2017 at 09:16 AM.
pidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #36

Let me make one personal comment here in the interest of historical accuracy.

Mike Focke has owned two M96 era Boxsters. Never worked on any internals. He doesn't deserve to be lumped with JFP and Jake Raby. Jake has developed multiple kits and tested dozens of approaches. Done thousands. JFP , gads only knows how many he has done/overseen.

What Mike has done is been is on the P-car forums daily (10 on three continents) since forever (Actually his first forum was the original forum long before there was even a PC) and he has been following the IMS issue since before anyone knew of a way of doing an IMS swap nor what was the better way to do it. He was in extended (multi hour long multiple times over months and years) talks and email exchanges with all the developers of the original IMS swap procedure, bearing engineers, etc even before their announcement of a procedure or a product. He likes to think his credibility based on honest inquiry with them (and ability to keep a secret) was one of the reasons they were willing to share their test successes and multiple failures and even product details before public announcements.

He has been universally critical of the amount of tests all kit producers have used before claiming that their bearing is a good replacement for the original. He has been critical of their use of extravagant marketing language.

In a prior life, he was product manager for a small volume computer based product and had both the development and the test responsibility (plus patent and certification) with multiple millions resting on his alone ship/no-ship decision. So he has a sense of the economics of the uncertain volume high development investment environment.

He no longer owns a Porsche. No maintainer within 40 miles. And just too old and a bad back to get in something that low. But he remains fascinated intellectually with the IMS subject.

He has no financial interest in any kit provider.

Neither of his Boxsters ever had an IMS replacement and the only one to survive his driving habits is last heard around 95k miles with the original still in it. Which is not to say he wouldn't do it if he still had the Boxster (lovely car) as the procedure and some kit products have evolved to his satisfaction since the time of his ownership.

He loves Boxsters.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #37
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

I suppose.....

.....the reason this keeps coming up over and over again, is that the 986 has reached the point in her life cycle where she's a $4,000 car and lots of folks who don't have a lot of money, are taking the plunge and buying one.

These folks are trying to own a Porsche "on the cheap" and don't have a lot of money to spare.

So, as a public service to those folks, I will throw in my two cents:

Whatever your budget is for buying a 986, add the amount of money necessary to change the IMS. Just save the extra money. If it's a $4,000 Boxster you are looking to buy, just know that it is actually a $7,000 Boxster.

Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #38
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I've been on this board for a long time. In all these years, I've never really found JFP to be rude or disrespectful to anyone, even if he disagrees with you. And he still spends time giving thorough answers if you have a question. Even after I've said many times here that I don't believe in changing out my original IMS, and still use Mobil 1 0w-40 at Porsche recommended (rather long) oil change intervals, he still never tries to dissuade or berate me or anything. I think he's a solid contributor here, as are other folks who were mentioned previously. The only person I thought was a bit condescending in his tone to folks here sometimes was Jake, but I digress.

On the other hand, I think your comment was valid too- some people would be willing to change out the IMS, but only if they're going in there for something else like a clutch job. JFP disagrees on the importance of that in terms of what he's seen and what he believes. You both have valid points. Doesn't matter who's right. You both could be due to your risk tolerance. I, personally have a very high risk tolerance, have owned my Box for 16 yrs, and still haven't changed out my IMS, so I believe I'm right. I'd just forget it and move on. No big deal.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 05-14-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You have your answer.
Links please. I am genuinely interested because in the UK we don't have half the paranoia you guys have over this.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:15 AM   #40

Oh for f**k sake.

It's unbelievable how much this whole IMS issue has been and still is continuing to be blown out of proportion. Every time I see a thread I think "Oh for god sake here we go again". Yes the bearings have a design flaw, yes there's been people who have had them fail, but they're more prone to failing on cars that aren't being driven where the bearing isn't lubricated as often as it should be, causing it to dry up, resulting in cracked seals, leaking its grease, to which it heats up and fails.

Yes Porsche should have been a bit smarter about the design but it's seriously not as bad as everyone says it is. I've seen a few people with over 200,000 miles on theirs (one with 300,000) that didn't even know what an IMS bearing was. Yes IMS bearings have failed, but the fact of the matter is, no matter how much everyone harps on about it, in comparison to the amount of engines with this bearing, the failures are rare.

It's like plane crashes - you only hear about them as they rarely happen and people end up being scared of flying, where as no one gives a crap about the amount of planes that don't have a single problem day in day out.

More importantly, as well as this, there are multiple people on here who have changed their bearing, and the new one has failed on them. So what do you do?

As said, if there are no oil leaks, no signs of wear and the oil filter is completely clean, drive it and enjoy it, but don't garage queen it. Make sure you drive it often and use the rev range, which is key to having no problems in these cars. I think everyone has given him all the info he needs now, so he can either go and change it, or he can just drive the car.

Shall we drop this damn topic again? The amount of threads on this is crazy and every question about it has been answered over and over and over again and it's getting embarrassing.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 05-15-2017 at 12:22 AM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote