986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   IMS tell tale (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/66509-ims-tell-tale.html)

Keith box 02 05-12-2017 05:10 AM

IMS tell tale

I purchased a 02 986. do not know if the IMS bearing issue was resolved on the car.
I did my first oil change. cut the old oil filter open. absolutely no metal fillings whatsoever!
Is the IMS issue been replaced?

That986 05-12-2017 05:18 AM

Not entirely sure why people keep going on about this, if you had nothing in the filter then you have nothing to worry about.

Now go and drive it.

JFP in PA 05-12-2017 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith box 02 (Post 536927)
I purchased a 02 986. do not know if the IMS bearing issue was resolved on the car.
I did my first oil change. cut the old oil filter open. absolutely no metal fillings whatsoever!
Is the IMS issue been replaced?

Without records to prove it has been done, you are making a baseless assumption, which can prove disastrous (yours is a single row bearing engine, which has shown the highest probability for failures)..

JFP in PA 05-12-2017 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That986 (Post 536928)
Not entirely sure why people keep going on about this, if you had nothing in the filter then you have nothing to worry about.

Now go and drive it.

Simple: the number of single row bearing owners that have taken similar advice and ended up paying the price for it...........

DaveNW 05-12-2017 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 536931)
Simple: the number of single row bearing owners that have taken similar advice and ended up paying the price for it...........

And the fact that he (I presume) just recently bought the car. All things "new" that may or may not have a serious known problem are something to be aware of. Reassurance is a good thing for a new owner, especially on a used car. I know that's where I have been (but it's getting better.) ;)

Dave

That986 05-12-2017 06:37 AM

Quote:

Figures please.......

Cbonilla 05-12-2017 07:13 AM

Quote:

Count me as one of those who at 100k miles fell for "if it's good at 30k it's good at 230k" myth/lie and regrets it to this day

pidj 05-12-2017 07:39 AM

Quote:

What's the anecdotal failure rate?

That986 05-12-2017 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pidj (Post 536945)
What's the anecdotal failure rate?

This is what i'd like to know and every time i ask it gets ignored.

JFP in PA 05-12-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That986 (Post 536941)
Figures please.......

When last compiled several years ago in the class action, it was greater than 10% failure rate. As more have failed since, it is reasonable to assume that number would now be higher, but there is no way to know by how much.

JFP in PA 05-12-2017 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That986 (Post 536946)
This is what i'd like to know and every time i ask it gets ignored.

You have your answer.

Gelbster 05-12-2017 08:16 AM

If it is a stick, it will need a clutch and RMS sometime- so better now while it is a simple ,relatively inexpensive job. Add a few 'while you are in there' jobs and you'll probably have a great car for years to come.It is like Insurance -if you have it, you're unlikely to need it.If you don't have it.....

ymkmkrz 05-12-2017 08:47 AM

I am amazed there are people who still don't believe it is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbonilla 05-12-2017 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gelbster (Post 536950)
If it is a stick, it will need a clutch and RMS sometime- so better now while it is a simple ,relatively inexpensive job. Add a few 'while you are in there' jobs and you'll probably have a great car for years to come.It is like Insurance -if you have it, you're unlikely to need it.If you don't have it.....

But if it's a Tip you can't piggy back this project on a clutch job. And it costs more to pull a Tip as well. So much for buying a Tip with the belief that "at least I'll never have to bother with a clutch change"

Carlos

algiorda 05-12-2017 10:10 AM

Quite simply, this is the same issue we have been facing with other cars for decades with timing belts. It's a maintenance item.

Either you gamble and don't replace it, or prevent engine disruption by being proactive and replacing it before it fails.

pidj 05-12-2017 10:23 AM

While I would love it to be non-existent as an issue, I'm taking the maintenance tack: short oil change intervals (monitor for debris), change bearing with clutch and RMS .... only challenge is that historically clutches seem to last me longer than 20 000 miles ... so ....

JFP in PA 05-12-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pidj (Post 536970)
While I would love it to be non-existent as an issue, I'm taking the maintenance tack: short oil change intervals (monitor for debris), change bearing with clutch and RMS .... only challenge is that historically clutches seem to last me longer than 20 000 miles ... so ....

What does the clutch lasting 20K miles have to do with anything?

Cbonilla 05-12-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by algiorda (Post 536969)
Quite simply, this is the same issue we have been facing with other cars for decades with timing belts. It's a maintenance item.

Either you gamble and don't replace it, or prevent engine disruption by being proactive and replacing it before it fails.

Only true for interference engines. For non-interference engines this is not a catastrohic issue, more of an inconvenience. Memories of a 1980 Volvo wagon which ate its timing belt at 30k miles and fortunately suffered no ill effects.

And the timing belt maintenance is in the owners manual when you buy a car. I haven't found the section in my manual where it specifies the interval for replacing the IMS.

Has Porsche ever come out and defined this service interval, or do they just let owners discover it on their own? I don't use the dealership for more than parts -- has anyone ever had a dealer recommend an IMS replacement proactively?

JFP in PA 05-12-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cbonilla (Post 536977)
Only true for interference engines. For non-interference engines this is not a catastrohic issue, more of an inconvenience. Memories of a 1980 Volvo wagon which ate its timing belt at 30k miles and fortunately suffered no ill effects.

And the timing belt maintenance is in the owners manual when you buy a car. I haven't found the section in my manual where it specifies the interval for replacing the IMS.

Has Porsche ever come out and defined this service interval, or do they just let owners discover it on their own? I don't use the dealership for more than parts -- has anyone ever had a dealer recommend an IMS replacement proactively?

The reason or that is that according to Porsche, you cannot change the IMS without taking the engine apart on any M96 or M97 engine, and as they do not let their techs take engines apart, you simply are billed for a factory replacement engine. Solves their problem, and yours, well, sort of anyway...........

Cbonilla 05-12-2017 11:59 AM

Learn something new every day: You can't change an IMS without taking the engine apart. :)