Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 05:10 AM   #1

Garage
IMS tell tale

I purchased a 02 986. do not know if the IMS bearing issue was resolved on the car.
I did my first oil change. cut the old oil filter open. absolutely no metal fillings whatsoever!
Is the IMS issue been replaced?

Keith box 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #2

Not entirely sure why people keep going on about this, if you had nothing in the filter then you have nothing to worry about.

Now go and drive it.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith box 02 View Post
I purchased a 02 986. do not know if the IMS bearing issue was resolved on the car.
I did my first oil change. cut the old oil filter open. absolutely no metal fillings whatsoever!
Is the IMS issue been replaced?
Without records to prove it has been done, you are making a baseless assumption, which can prove disastrous (yours is a single row bearing engine, which has shown the highest probability for failures)..
Old 05-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by That986 View Post
Not entirely sure why people keep going on about this, if you had nothing in the filter then you have nothing to worry about.

Now go and drive it.
Simple: the number of single row bearing owners that have taken similar advice and ended up paying the price for it...........
Old 05-12-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Simple: the number of single row bearing owners that have taken similar advice and ended up paying the price for it...........
And the fact that he (I presume) just recently bought the car. All things "new" that may or may not have a serious known problem are something to be aware of. Reassurance is a good thing for a new owner, especially on a used car. I know that's where I have been (but it's getting better.)

Dave
Old 05-12-2017, 06:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Figures please.......
Old 05-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Count me as one of those who at 100k miles fell for "if it's good at 30k it's good at 230k" myth/lie and regrets it to this day
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #8

Quote:
What's the anecdotal failure rate?
Old 05-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
What's the anecdotal failure rate?
This is what i'd like to know and every time i ask it gets ignored.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Figures please.......
When last compiled several years ago in the class action, it was greater than 10% failure rate. As more have failed since, it is reasonable to assume that number would now be higher, but there is no way to know by how much.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
This is what i'd like to know and every time i ask it gets ignored.
You have your answer.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #12

If it is a stick, it will need a clutch and RMS sometime- so better now while it is a simple ,relatively inexpensive job. Add a few 'while you are in there' jobs and you'll probably have a great car for years to come.It is like Insurance -if you have it, you're unlikely to need it.If you don't have it.....
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #13

I am amazed there are people who still don't believe it is an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
If it is a stick, it will need a clutch and RMS sometime- so better now while it is a simple ,relatively inexpensive job. Add a few 'while you are in there' jobs and you'll probably have a great car for years to come.It is like Insurance -if you have it, you're unlikely to need it.If you don't have it.....
But if it's a Tip you can't piggy back this project on a clutch job. And it costs more to pull a Tip as well. So much for buying a Tip with the belief that "at least I'll never have to bother with a clutch change"

Carlos
Old 05-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #15
I am No. 1348

Garage
Quite simply, this is the same issue we have been facing with other cars for decades with timing belts. It's a maintenance item.

Either you gamble and don't replace it, or prevent engine disruption by being proactive and replacing it before it fails.
Old 05-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #16

While I would love it to be non-existent as an issue, I'm taking the maintenance tack: short oil change intervals (monitor for debris), change bearing with clutch and RMS .... only challenge is that historically clutches seem to last me longer than 20 000 miles ... so ....
Old 05-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidj View Post
While I would love it to be non-existent as an issue, I'm taking the maintenance tack: short oil change intervals (monitor for debris), change bearing with clutch and RMS .... only challenge is that historically clutches seem to last me longer than 20 000 miles ... so ....
What does the clutch lasting 20K miles have to do with anything?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
Quite simply, this is the same issue we have been facing with other cars for decades with timing belts. It's a maintenance item.

Either you gamble and don't replace it, or prevent engine disruption by being proactive and replacing it before it fails.
Only true for interference engines. For non-interference engines this is not a catastrohic issue, more of an inconvenience. Memories of a 1980 Volvo wagon which ate its timing belt at 30k miles and fortunately suffered no ill effects.

And the timing belt maintenance is in the owners manual when you buy a car. I haven't found the section in my manual where it specifies the interval for replacing the IMS.

Has Porsche ever come out and defined this service interval, or do they just let owners discover it on their own? I don't use the dealership for more than parts -- has anyone ever had a dealer recommend an IMS replacement proactively?

Last edited by Cbonilla; 05-12-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
Only true for interference engines. For non-interference engines this is not a catastrohic issue, more of an inconvenience. Memories of a 1980 Volvo wagon which ate its timing belt at 30k miles and fortunately suffered no ill effects.

And the timing belt maintenance is in the owners manual when you buy a car. I haven't found the section in my manual where it specifies the interval for replacing the IMS.

Has Porsche ever come out and defined this service interval, or do they just let owners discover it on their own? I don't use the dealership for more than parts -- has anyone ever had a dealer recommend an IMS replacement proactively?
The reason or that is that according to Porsche, you cannot change the IMS without taking the engine apart on any M96 or M97 engine, and as they do not let their techs take engines apart, you simply are billed for a factory replacement engine. Solves their problem, and yours, well, sort of anyway...........
Old 05-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #20

Garage
Learn something new every day: You can't change an IMS without taking the engine apart.