Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

718 sales poor

It's early days I guess, but this is not looking too good for the 718.

Porsche Boxster US car sales figures

As an aside, someone I know was actually offered the full price he paid for his 981, to trade in for a new 718 S. He said no.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #2

I'm not sure 2 months is much of a sample size. And January - newest model outsold the previous 2 years....it's only Feb that the sales were off. Maybe in many areas, too much snow? Lots of cold?
Old 03-26-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/company/porsche-deliveries-2016-sales-record-13310.html

Porsche is loving the sales results of the 718!
Old 03-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #4

Garage
My concern with the 718 is not the car itself or its flat 4 engine. It is that the boxster now has a 4 clylinder engine while the 911 has a 6. Yes I know that the boxster s I bought in 2003 was a 3.2 liter engine when 911s came with larger 3.6s. But it was still fundamentally the same engine (and suffered from the same shortcomings). So for a substantial saving over the 911 you could buy a very similar product. Now they are fundamentally different, and I fear the boxster may be stigmatized. A Poorsche, if you will.

In what month did the 718 boxster go on sale? Are significant numbers of those early months' sales of prior year models? I have to assume that at least some are

Last edited by Cbonilla; 03-26-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
I am No. 1348

Garage
I'd take a 718 in a heartbeat. I could care less if it's a 4cyl. I just wouldn't take the depreciation hit. I'll never buy new again.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
My concern with the 718 is not the car itself or its flat 4 engine. It is that the boxster now has a 4 clylinder engine while the 911 has a 6. Yes I know that the boxster s I bought in 2003 was a 3.2 liter engine when 911s came with larger 3.6s. But it was still fundamentally the same engine (and suffered from the same shortcomings). So for a substantial saving over the 911 you could buy a very similar product. Now they are fundamentally different, and I fear the boxster may be stigmatized. A Poorsche, if you will.

In what month did the 718 boxster go on sale? Are significant numbers of those early months' sales of prior year models? I have to assume that at least some are
Stigmatized? A fully kitted out Boxster is still going to cost over $100K....that's not a poor man's car. And while yes, you can certainly get one cheaper if you drop some of the bells and whistles, it still ain't cheap. And remember - the Cayman, possibly Porsche's best sports car, is even cheaper than the Boxster.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #7

Price and competition

You can buy a new Corvette for a lot less money, for around the same money a superior car (IMHO) a GTR.....Boxsters should hit the market for about the same US dollars as a corvette .
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
You can buy a new Corvette for a lot less money, for around the same money a superior car (IMHO) a GTR.....Boxsters should hit the market for about the same US dollars as a corvette .
While I like both the C7 and the Boxster/Caymen I would not cross shop the two. The GTR is also very different and at a base price of about $110k s more expensive than a Boxster.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #9

I wouldn't drive an older 'vette if you gave it to me. Sampled several before I re-entered the Porsche world. Was actually negative about Porsche then based on my 914 experience and the lack of dealer service I had experienced (granted 1970-1972).

Vette: Huge ponderous feel. Too much power. Build quality and interior materials sub-par.

Boxster: I just fit and it felt right. I never felt any lack of HP.

But to prices. Why should we expect the current Boxster to be priced anything near what the older ones were? Nothing else is. Yes it is a shock to go to the configurator and see the $90k+ most would order. (Mine is $100k+.) But if you order a car with features similar to what came on a 2004 Boxster, the increase isn't that much beyond inflation. I think it is just we want more in our cars like navigation, fancy adjustable suspensions, electronic nannies, etc that our older cars didn't have.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
I wouldn't drive an older 'vette if you gave it to me. Sampled several before I re-entered the Porsche world. Was actually negative about Porsche then based on my 914 experience and the lack of dealer service I had experienced (granted 1970-1972).

Vette: Huge ponderous feel. Too much power. Build quality and interior materials sub-par.

Boxster: I just fit and it felt right. I never felt any lack of HP.

But to prices. Why should we expect the current Boxster to be priced anything near what the older ones were? Nothing else is. Yes it is a shock to go to the configurator and see the $90k+ most would order. (Mine is $100k+.) But if you order a car with features similar to what came on a 2004 Boxster, the increase isn't that much beyond inflation. I think it is just we want more in our cars like navigation, fancy adjustable suspensions, electronic nannies, etc that our older cars didn't have.
It's a sports car and treat it as such when buying one new and you can avoid going above the base price by much. But you are right everyone wants all the extra which I argue add little to the overall expereince. The resale market seems to support that by generally giving little for all the extras.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:17 AM   #11

I'm hoping to have an opportunity to try a 718 this spring. I'm still a little hung up about losing the 6 cal though.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:21 AM   #12

Garage
Two comments here

1. With sales figures they can be misleading if you don't add cayman and boxster sales, oddly enough it seems there is a similar sized market for pre 2005 just boxsters as there is for post 2005 boxsters and cayman, it's like the cayman didn't really bring in many more customers just cannibalizes current sales a little, (although it did add a valuable option to the lineup).

2. At this point, adjusted for inflation a lot of our old boxster Ses have window stickers well above a modern boxsters ***with similar options** of course a new car with carbon ceramics is on up there but a car with a performance option or two, full leather, a few exclusive options. That'll come together from 1999 dollars when the S first went on sale to be usually more than a modern boxster S (or I guess due to the new marketing strategy of boxster above cayman, at least above the cayman S)
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:18 AM   #13

Don't have all the extras. Don't miss 'em. Top down and flat six howl are all I need
Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
I'd take a 718 in a heartbeat. I could care less if it's a 4cyl. I just wouldn't take the depreciation hit. I'll never buy new again.
you could care less that the 718 is missing one of the things you love most about your car? The "guttaral yowl" of the flat six climbing from 3k to 6k RPM?

I haven't driven the VW'esque turbo 4's but by all reviews I read the heart of the engine is no more. Sounds like driving an electric car. Sure it's zippy but you might as well be driving a souped up bumper car at the carnival.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #15
I am No. 1348

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
you could care less that the 718 is missing one of the things you love most about your car? The "guttaral yowl" of the flat six climbing from 3k to 6k RPM?

I haven't driven the VW'esque turbo 4's but by all reviews I read the heart of the engine is no more. Sounds like driving an electric car. Sure it's zippy but you might as well be driving a souped up bumper car at the carnival.
Have you looked at the performance specs of the 718? (2017 Porsche 718 Boxster S Sport Chrono PDK: 11.9 1/4 Mile time - Fastest Boxster Ever) I could care less about the growl and more about the finish line. Besides, I think Porsche has done a wonderful job tuning the 718 4cyl exhaust. I will admit the lower end Turbo torque will be some getting used to.

Last edited by algiorda; 03-30-2017 at 07:59 AM.
algiorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by algiorda View Post
Have you looked at the performance specs of the 718? (2017 Porsche 718 Boxster S Sport Chrono PDK: 11.9 1/4 Mile time - Fastest Boxster Ever) I could care less about the growl and more about the finish line. Besides, I think Porsche has done a wonderful job tuning the 718 4cyl exhaust. I will admit the lower end Turbo torque will be some getting used to.
yes cars get faster with time. But they don't become more driver oriented because in order to capture that extra tenth of a second on each corner the car must take the driver out of more of the equation. And having been in a wide variety cars I can tell you the more involved over a lap the driver is the more exciting 9 in 10 drivers will be.
Part of that experience is the car letting you know its right there with you audibly and through feedback. Yet the newer the Porsche the more that is blunted.

Give me the Boxster Spyder with the 911S flat 6 engine even if the flat four T is faster over a lap. I doubt you would be able to tell which of the two was the faster lap if you drove both cars until you crossed the finished.
Your getting the flat 4 not because its faster, but because its cheaper to build and less likely to break down in-warranty. Making these levels of power reliably with flat 6 requires a lot more egineer noggin.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-30-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:

Give me the Boxster Spyder with the 911S flat 6 engine even if the flat four T is faster over a lap. I doubt you would be able to tell which of the two was the faster lap if you drove both cars until you crossed the finished.

The flat 4 would feel much faster from what I've read.

However, I agree the spyder is the car I would want.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #18

Quote:
yes cars get faster with time. But they don't become more driver oriented because in order to capture that extra tenth of a second on each corner the car must take the driver out of more of the equation.
So where is the sweet spot? The Model T? Cars built in the 60's? 70's?

I don't agree that cars are taking the driver out of the equation - not completely anyways. Evolution is all around us - enhancements are made and sacrifices are made, but the offset is normally for the better.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #19

I've had the opportunity to drive the 718 S a few times. Not just a road test but at a autocross track and at the Porsche Experience center in LA. The first was at a Porsche 718 playground event at Berkeley, Ca in Aug last year. I managed to be a passenger with a factory driver as well as drive several laps around the autocross track. I'm no aportscar writer and I do lack the ability to describe how the car handles but I can tell you that it's everything we've all read and then some. The power and torque output come to mind. The biggest disappointment is the exhaust tone. PSE or no PSE if you didn't see yourself going in to the Boxster you would have thought you were in a Subaru. This was a huge disappointment for me. In my opinion new buyers won't miss this missing link but previous owners will be disappointed. The 718's ran the tracks all day long and didn't see one break down. Seems to be very reliable.

At the Porsche Experience center one thing i noticed right away is the power of the 718 S. The 718 S actually kept up with the 911 on the straights and caught up quickly by the first turn. By the second lap he was asked to let me pass him. I tried to do the same on a 911 turbo. Well, you know the outcome on that one but I did manage to catch up to it towards several turns later.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #20
I am No. 1348

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
I've had the opportunity to drive the 718 S a few times. Not just a road test but at a autocross track and at the Porsche Experience center in LA. The first was at a Porsche 718 playground event at Berkeley, Ca in Aug last year. I managed to be a passenger with a factory driver as well as drive several laps around the autocross track. I'm no aportscar writer and I do lack the ability to describe how the car handles but I can tell you that it's everything we've all read and then some. The power and torque output come to mind. The biggest disappointment is the exhaust tone. PSE or no PSE if you didn't see yourself going in to the Boxster you would have thought you were in a Subaru. This was a huge disappointment for me. In my opinion new buyers won't miss this missing link but previous owners will be disappointed. The 718's ran the tracks all day long and didn't see one break down. Seems to be very reliable.

At the Porsche Experience center one thing i noticed right away is the power of the 718 S. The 718 S actually kept up with the 911 on the straights and caught up quickly by the first turn. By the second lap he was asked to let me pass him. I tried to do the same on a 911 turbo. Well, you know the outcome on that one but I did manage to catch up to it towards several turns later.
Didn't I read somewhere some of the new "Enthusiast" Mustangs and Camaro's pump artificial noise through the radio into the cockpit to simulate a throatier exhaust note?

Perhaps That's next on the Porsche Options list!