Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #1

Appropriate size Jack Stands?

Hey,

I'm starting to get all my gear collected for the oil change. I plan to get a 3-ton lift that will accommodate the Boxster and my Toyota 4Runner. Now I need a couple Jack Stands. The 4Runner needs 6-ton stands and those have a minimum height in the 15" range. That's a bit higher than the 3-ton types.

My question for you guys is, will a 15" minimum height be a problem when used with the Boxster?

If it will be a problem, what would be an appropriate minimum height be for the jack stands?

I searched this forum for "jack stand" and there is a ton (no pun) of information on them, but I did not see much for size suggestions.

BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #2

I work alone

Most of the time so I am super cautious and safety always. I simply use a set of ramps and back the boxster up on them, scotch the front wheels and set parking brake and go to work....just did it this afternoon. Speaking of Toyota's way back when my 78 FJ40 was running (1979 ~ 2006) I could simply lay under it without anything to lift it...plenty of room to do an oil change.
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #3

My harbor freight jack stands, the 3 ton are perfect for the boxster but too short for my FJ. To put them on the highest settings takes multiple lifts as the jack won't lift hugh enough to go to the top setting and the angle is too extreme for comfort anyway. 6 ton HF jackatands, on the lowest setting will kind of fit under the boxster, I use them as backup stands. You can get the min and max heights from HF.

I sometimes do.oil changes by backing down my sloped driveway onto ramps, therefore leveling the car and giving me room, but usually put the car up on 4 jackstands in the garage.

I'll go down tomorrow and make some measurements, I think you could do it with just the 6 ton
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #4

Good to meet another FJ Owner

Not many of those Iron Beasts left these days

I am about to pull my engine for a rebuild, the head is already off and completely finished. Amazing how much just the head weighs....all I can do to move it by myself....I cant imagine that Chunk O Iron that is the engine block with that giant 4S tranny and transfer case hanging on the back
Old 12-31-2016, 04:40 AM   #5

The 6 ton stands are too tall to start. I lifted my Boxster in stages. First onto a set of 2 ton stands and then raised them a bit at a time until they were at full extension. I then used a set of 6 ton stands. Get both 6 and 2 ton stands. The 2 tons are only about $20.
CdnRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:49 AM   #6

Where is the best place to put the stands? I always have difficulty deciding where to jack from and where to place the stands. I am about to do a water pump. Thanks.
jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper31 View Post
Where is the best place to put the stands? I always have difficulty deciding where to jack from and where to place the stands. I am about to do a water pump. Thanks.
Putting the Boxster on jackstands used to be a challenge until I got one of these. Now I can do it with ease and best if all it is safe. So easy to adjust height too.

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerRoadie View Post
Hey,

I'm starting to get all my gear collected for the oil change. I plan to get a 3-ton lift that will accommodate the Boxster and my Toyota 4Runner. Now I need a couple Jack Stands. The 4Runner needs 6-ton stands and those have a minimum height in the 15" range. That's a bit higher than the 3-ton types.

My question for you guys is, will a 15" minimum height be a problem when used with the Boxster?

If it will be a problem, what would be an appropriate minimum height be for the jack stands?

I searched this forum for "jack stand" and there is a ton (no pun) of information on them, but I did not see much for size suggestions.
I don't think you'll be happy with one set of jackstands for both of these cars. If you do it will be a sacrifice when using them in each car.

I suggest to buy your tools as you need them. I would start with a set of Ramps for oil changes.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
Putting the Boxster on jackstands used to be a challenge until I got one of these. Now I can do it with ease and best if all it is safe. So easy to adjust height too.

That's awesome. So you lift it with the bar and then put the stands under it? Where did you get that?
jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:24 AM   #10

Hello all and thanks for the info.

I'm starting to recognize a pattern with you guys. Every time I ask a question and give you a choice between Option A and Option B....I end up with both!!!

But this has been very helpful as always. I was trying to minimize the gear but maybe that's not a good idea here. Shoot!!
BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
Not many of those Iron Beasts left these days
Well... Not exactly a "vintage" iron beast

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper31 View Post
That's awesome. So you lift it with the bar and then put the stands under it? Where did you get that?
Yes and adjust your height as needed. Very safe and stable and you lift the car and adjust the height. I bought mine just over a year ago from liftbars.com and I love it.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #13

a cheap,simple alternative -one of which is on casters !:
Wooden Car Stands? Where to buy/ How to make?
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/wood-cribbing-block-diy-for-raising-the-car-in-addition-to-jack-stands/

Last edited by Gelbster; 12-31-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #14

This is actually a great idea if you need the height of a lift. Very stable. The next problem would be a jack that can lift high enough.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Well... Not exactly a "vintage" iron beast

Truth, but that is a gorgeous vehicle

I have had my 1978 FJ40 since 1979 when I purchased it from a dealer that used it as a demonstrator....I was young back them and treated rough for many years....I plan on do9ing a full restoration .......then one day it will be my Grandson's
Old 12-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #16

A "long" floor jack will work - it lifts 2 feet !
Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump® Jack
I use 2 at once - pump up both together.Place jack stands. Go around the other side ,rinse and repeat. Or do it front/rear.
But just get a 2 post lift and bypass all this equipment. Wonderful to have comfortable access !

Last edited by Gelbster; 01-02-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:07 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:

What type of floor jack are you using?
Old 01-01-2017, 07:17 AM   #18
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Yes and adjust your height as needed. Very safe and stable and you lift the car and adjust the height. I bought mine just over a year ago from liftbars.com and I love it.
That's a nifty solution. Would that bar touch the bottom of a side skirt when used?

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
That's a nifty solution. Would that bar touch the bottom of a side skirt when used?
The bar only touches the lift points of the car. I don't think any side skirts will be in the way since the bar is directly below the lift points.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy_02 View Post
What type of floor jack are you using?
Harbor Freight special. It's low profile and works really well. I have various jacks that I use depending on how high I want to lift.