Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #1

99 boxster just died..help!

Bad day...for me..... the other day... I noticed a small ticking sound for a few seconds while accelerating on the highway on ramp...only lasted a few seconds and disappeared...never happened before. Then today.... drove down the road...and the ticking came back... then suddenly got louder then there was a scraping noise.... So I turned into a parking lot immediately....I noticed that the frequency of the ticking Increases with the RPMs...( i.e.... it is engine / transmission related not wheel rotation related )... as soon as I got in the lot the engine died....( I should point out that my alternator is very week... and I have to charge the battery once or twice a week while I wait for the Mechanic to take it in for a rebuild. ) Nayway...when I tried to restart the car.. it would only half turn over then halt...wait a few seconds...half turn over then halt... much like a dead battery. I had the car towed back home on a flatbed...and just went out and put the battery charger on it... the battery is very low 55% charge.. BUT... as much as I am hoping... I do not ti k this is related to the alternator or battery... really hoping I am wrong here with fingers and toes crossed..... I have read a few posts with similar descriptions.... i.e. Ticking sound...got louder... Followed by scrapping sound ...all from the rear.... then the engine conking out an not restarting.... but none of those posts..came back to say what the actual problem was in the end?... Any help on diagnosing this is greatly appreciated.... just replaced the Clutch and RMS last year ( only because the mechanic had the tranny out do do the clutch )...

CAR IS... 99 Boxter 5 Speed base Model with 90,000 miles... well cared for and no issues other than clutch replacement... stored winters indoors...and runs very well.

Please help... tis is like having a sick child...lol

Thanks In Advance

Paul

IMACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
First thing I'd check would be the belt, then everything attached to it - especially the alternator pulley.
Porsche Boxster Drive Belt Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Old 05-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #3

Fingers Crossed

Thanks... I will check the belts in the morning.... I am Hoping for the best but fearing the worst.... the car runs like a top.... The first thing I did after getting it home was check the oil out of fear that it was the RMS blown out and seized the engine... but to my relief the oil level is fine. I also have one of the OBDI Code reader Apps on my iPad... I put that on... and it did show a code for MASS AIR FLOW Sensor... but I am not sure how that or even the alternator could cause the ticking...and then for the engine to shut off...and then not even fully turn over ( I mean yes.. I know if the battery is that low, its not going to turn over )...but what specifically would it be that would make the ticking noise... loud scrape...and then Shut off.... that would be Alternator or battery charge related?..any Idea?

Thanks

Paul
Old 05-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #4

In these cars, many electronic sensors and components depend on a decent charge to operate, I think you should not worry, if it was something catastrofic you would see oil pouring or other signs, just get a new alternator or rebuild one, a good battery and try that
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #5

Thanks Stelan.... I charged the battery to full overnight.... but no luck this morning The engine seems to make about a half revolution of a turnover then just halt... I called the local Porsche Guru here in town, and described the breif lead up to the event... and his opinion is that it sounds like it is the IMS. No oile has leaked out or sprayed out.... no fluids of any kind at all... I did have a New RMS installed last spring with the New Clutch.... is there any way to tell if it is the IMS short of pulling the engine? Any ideas?

BTW..... this was a badddd week for me in the Auto Area... My MotorHome Caught fire.. Barely saved it... but managed to get the fire out fast...was electrical near the battery... and The Transmission went in my Landrover..... LOL.. I was suppose to put my Boat in the water this weekend... but in llght of my recent Mechanical Mishaps ( not that I believe at all in luck ).... I think I will hold off on launching the boat until this black cloud moves along...lol

Thanks

Paul
Old 05-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #6

Could be IMS... with that noise... maybe should have done that with the clutch and RMS last year.
If it is, the oil filter will be full of metal.

Could be alternator related also.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:41 PM   #7

Garage
I would remove the belt and see if you can start the car. Could be alternator, AC pump, belt tensioner, or water pump gone bad.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #8

Pop the belt and verify that the battery had over 13 volts and cranck
If the alt is seized it will not let you crank much
Or if your battery is toasy because the alterator killed it it will not crank much
stelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:07 AM   #9

Garage
As others have said, pull the oil filter. If your ims went, there will be a lot of metal in the filter.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:29 AM   #10

If you don't find metal in your oil, the next step I would take is pull the plugs to check for liquid in the cylinders (oil) then try to turn the motor over by hand.

I had a similar no start condition that I thought was the battery, it turned out to be oil in the cylinder from a failed AOS.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:51 AM   #11

My friend Ed had a 996 (1999 911, same engine generation as our Boxsters) and had a similar issue, and then his engine seized up, would barely turn, etc... it turned out to be a seized alternator. I would follow the steps above and remove the belt and check that are as described by Jager above.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
My friend Ed had a 996 (1999 911, same engine generation as our Boxsters) and had a similar issue, and then his engine seized up, would barely turn, etc... it turned out to be a seized alternator. I would follow the steps above and remove the belt and check that are as described by Jager above.
Good point. If the engine turns with the belt off, you know it's something in the belt path. If it still won't turn with the belt off you have a catastrophic failure.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:48 AM   #13

Garage
My vote is a seized alternator based on description of failure. Let us know...
1969 Porsche 912
Many and various BMW's but it's not that kind of forum
aneal000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

DAY 3

Hope it turns out well. Any update?
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #15

Finally an answer

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread..... but... I finally got a mechanic to look at the car... I was there when he took the service cover off.... the first thing I saw, was the dreaded shards of aluminum eveywhere..... which started a cursing and swearing fit, as you can imagine.... at which point the mechanic said... Hold on...calm down.... he then loosened the tensioner? and sliped the belt off and said... turn the ignition... i did... and what do you know... the engine roared to life.....I shut it off... he grabbed the alternator pully and it was siezed solid... so there we have it.... it was a siezed alternator..... Dodged a bullet..... but I now have an appreciation for how it must feel to lose an engine.... I was so sure it was gone, I went out and bought a Jeep Wrangler....so I would have something to take the top off this summer...lol. Thanks for all the input an responses to this thread, all were greatly appreciated. Footnote... the engine runs better than it ever has... the laternator being weak was affecting performance for sure. Cheers.. Paul Newfoundland
Old 06-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMACMAN View Post
but I now have an appreciation for how it must feel to lose an engine....
First, glad to hear that it was something simple and affordable! '

Welcome to my world. I'm on my 4th engine. But it gets easier each time. So much so that I already have a spare engine sitting in a crate ready to install when the 4th engine fails.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneal000 View Post
My vote is a seized alternator based on description of failure. Let us know...
We have a winner - well diagnosed !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #18
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMACMAN View Post
?..I also have one of the OBDI Code reader Apps on my iPad...
Sry to hijack, but have been looking for a good iPad app, what do you have?

BTW, best wishes.... And sorry for your bad week!

MWS is offline   Reply With Quote