View Single Post
Old 05-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #1
IMACMAN

99 boxster just died..help!

Bad day...for me..... the other day... I noticed a small ticking sound for a few seconds while accelerating on the highway on ramp...only lasted a few seconds and disappeared...never happened before. Then today.... drove down the road...and the ticking came back... then suddenly got louder then there was a scraping noise.... So I turned into a parking lot immediately....I noticed that the frequency of the ticking Increases with the RPMs...( i.e.... it is engine / transmission related not wheel rotation related )... as soon as I got in the lot the engine died....( I should point out that my alternator is very week... and I have to charge the battery once or twice a week while I wait for the Mechanic to take it in for a rebuild. ) Nayway...when I tried to restart the car.. it would only half turn over then halt...wait a few seconds...half turn over then halt... much like a dead battery. I had the car towed back home on a flatbed...and just went out and put the battery charger on it... the battery is very low 55% charge.. BUT... as much as I am hoping... I do not ti k this is related to the alternator or battery... really hoping I am wrong here with fingers and toes crossed..... I have read a few posts with similar descriptions.... i.e. Ticking sound...got louder... Followed by scrapping sound ...all from the rear.... then the engine conking out an not restarting.... but none of those posts..came back to say what the actual problem was in the end?... Any help on diagnosing this is greatly appreciated.... just replaced the Clutch and RMS last year ( only because the mechanic had the tranny out do do the clutch )...

CAR IS... 99 Boxter 5 Speed base Model with 90,000 miles... well cared for and no issues other than clutch replacement... stored winters indoors...and runs very well.

Please help... tis is like having a sick child...lol

Thanks In Advance

Paul
IMACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote