Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2016, 11:58 PM   #1

Home made Oil pan gasket.

I've made plenty of gaskets in the past, like the rubber infused cork sheets, Anybody see any downside to making a oil pan gasket? Seems like a much better solution then RTV!!!

SilverSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
Racer Boy

It doesn't seem like a better solution to me. I've never had the RTV-style sealant leak on an oil pan. You just have to use the correct stuff. Way less hassle than making your own gaskets!
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSSS View Post
I've made plenty of gaskets in the past, like the rubber infused cork sheets, Anybody see any downside to making a oil pan gasket? Seems like a much better solution then RTV!!!
Hydrocarbon resistant materials used to manufactured gasket is not all that cheap. RTV is used to reduce cost for the automakers- in fact not only in the automotive industry, pretty much anywhere else that needs temp sealing.

If however you plan on sealing your oil pan permanently, then a quality gasket applies quite well and recommended.

Cost man :/

(ps: see, I'm slowly becoming a 986 technician - the expert lolll)
Old 06-26-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
Mig

Garage
I never really had much respect for RTV until I got into aviation. I see it used quite a bit around the engines of piston aircraft.

These engines are quite similar to ours. Mostly flat 6 piston engines. They are tough; they operate at high power settings all day long, and in both hot and very cold environments.

I've never seen RTV leak on an airplane. It's usually other areas that start to seep.
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Modern RTV is much more stable, durable, and flexible than the old rubber/cork gaskets. Thus it works over a much wider range of conditions and is generally impervious to engine fluids. A rubber/cork gasket will work but it won't work under all of the extreme conditions that RTV will. Of course, both types can seep or even leak but usually for different reasons.

Please note that the recommended bolt torque may change when going from RTV to a different type gasket because a rubber/cork gasket needs to be compressed a certain amount (and not more than that certain amount) for it to seal properly whereas this is not the case with RTV.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:48 AM   #6

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Can't go wrong with loctight
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
In summary, nothing but downsides to that "solution" to a non-existent problem.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #8

Garage
You are not making an oil PAN gasket. You are making a cover gasket. The pan as on V-8 engines will hold, with some leakage, the entire capacity of oil in the engine even if it becomes loose. Where as a loose cover on the boxer engine could allow the entire oil volume to leak out. How many times have you seen a valve cover with the bolts finger tight? IMHO not a good idea.

OH and not to mention altering the highly important Oil pump pickup to sump clearance.

Last edited by 911monty; 06-26-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: sump
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:43 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
In summary, nothing but downsides to that "solution" to a non-existent problem.
Isn't that what he was just complaining about in his other thread?
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
You are not making an oil PAN gasket. You are making a cover gasket. The pan as on V-8 engines will hold, with some leakage, the entire capacity of oil in the engine even if it becomes loose. Where as a loose cover on the boxer engine could allow the entire oil volume to leak out. How many times have you seen a valve cover with the bolts finger tight? IMHO not a good idea.

OH and not to mention altering the highly important Oil pump pickup to sump clearance.
This is something to think about. think i will go with RTV. The problem with RTV is simply ease of installation. Reassembly on your back in a cramped space is not fun. Not to mention the gooping into the pan problem.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
Isn't that what he was just complaining about in his other thread?
Are you my Thread Nanny now?
Old 06-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #12
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Are you my Thread Nanny now?
Ooooohhh... We have Thread Nannys? I want one.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #13

So used the Permatex 'The Right Stuff' if anyone cares, supposed to allow for 1 minute set up, and immediate service. Still let it cure on the car for 2 hours. Went on well, Comes with a nice tiny end nozzel, if you get the can that loads into the RTV gun. There's 2 ~4" scoops that protrude from the plastic undercar covering, they get in the way of being able to directly install the oil plate, which you need to do, to get a single contact seal. I test fit mine a few times, ended up cutting off both scoops flat with a cutting wheel. I know, the horror, don't intend to do over 120 with the car. lol. With them gone, it's a direct insert. 7ft/lbs, or should i say 84 in/lbs. If you don't own in/lb wrench, get one. Even a cheap in/lb wrench will be way more accurate than a ft/lb wrench at these minimal values. Got the LN screw in filter adapter, running Mobile one 'Extened performance' Oil, which is apparently one of the only 'True Synthetics' left out there. Purring like a kitten! :dance:
Old 06-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Biggest issue is using too much. Jake has posted pics of the sump screen totally clogged with little RTV snakes. I used a very tiny amount and no leaks.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
So used the Permatex 'The Right Stuff' if anyone cares, supposed to allow for 1 minute set up, and immediate service. Still let it cure on the car for 2 hours. Went on well, Comes with a nice tiny end nozzel, if you get the can that loads into the RTV gun. There's 2 ~4" scoops that protrude from the plastic undercar covering, they get in the way of being able to directly install the oil plate, which you need to do, to get a single contact seal. I test fit mine a few times, ended up cutting off both scoops flat with a cutting wheel. I know, the horror, don't intend to do over 120 with the car. lol. With them gone, it's a direct insert. 7ft/lbs, or should i say 84 in/lbs. If you don't own in/lb wrench, get one. Even a cheap in/lb wrench will be way more accurate than a ft/lb wrench at these minimal values. Got the LN screw in filter adapter, running Mobile one 'Extened performance' Oil, which is apparently one of the only 'True Synthetics' left out there. Purring like a kitten! :dance:
Dude you are creative i'll give you that! I mean why take the time to unscrew 6 screws and remove that cover as designed by a bunch of unworthy engineers when you have a cutoff wheel that needs use. Definitely thinking outside the BOX.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Dude you are creative i'll give you that! I mean why take the time to unscrew 6 screws and remove that cover as designed by a bunch of unworthy engineers when you have a cutoff wheel that needs use. Definitely thinking outside the BOX.
Well, they're easily replaceable, which was part of my thought. I'll probably buy a replacement, and sit it on the shelf, I found a really astounding Porsche yard about 60 min away. Walked through there when i got a glass window top (for $350), complete. They got allot of Boxsters, say they get 3-4 different Porsches a day. Met the owner, German guy, knowledgeable, i'd say. Plus, i'm not doing Le mans this week, So, no remorse.

Last edited by SilverSSS; 06-26-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Well, they're easily replaceable, which was part of my thought. I'll probably buy a replacement, and sit it on the shelf, I found a really astounding Porsche yard about 60 min away. Walked through there when i got a glass window top (for $350), complete. They got allot of Boxsters, say they get 3-4 different Porsches a day. Met the owner, German guy, knowledgeable, i'd say. Plus, i'm not doing Le mans this week, So, no remorse.
Well ok LeMans is out for the week. But if you look at the design of those scoops you cut off you'll see they are not scoops. They are reversed and draw COOL air up into that extremely hot engine compartment in an attempt to cool it off. They become quite necessary during summer driving LeMans or not.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #18

Sorry Monty, can you find a pic of what you are describing here, just so we can make sure they are still there. After 20years (mine), just never know.

Just hearing you guys mentioning about 'scoops' and personally never seen anything looking like air/cooling scoops under my car. To my knowledge anyway
Old 06-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #19

Totally deleted... I was thinking the wrong thing

Last edited by steved0x; 06-27-2016 at 10:36 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Sorry Monty, can you find a pic of what you are describing here, just so we can make sure they are still there. After 20years (mine), just never know.

Just hearing you guys mentioning about 'scoops' and personally never seen anything looking like air/cooling scoops under my car. To my knowledge anyway
Fred anything for you man! Excuse the juvenile attempt, not close to your standard! Anyway here is a photo from the web. The actual scoops circled in red. The Diffuser is circled in magenta. There would be a second where the broken piece of panel circled in yellow. These are what Silversss cut off.