Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Fred anything for you man! Excuse the juvenile attempt, not close to your standard! Anyway here is a photo from the web. The actual scoops circled in red. The Diffuser is circled in magenta. There would be a second where the broken piece of panel circled in yellow. These are what Silversss cut off.

see, glad I made a fool and asked. I do not have those

thanks for that, appreciated

Old 06-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
see, glad I made a fool and asked. I do not have those

thanks for that, appreciated
Fred You are no Fool. I assume you mean your 2 rubber scoops are missing, they just slip into slots cut into that triangle brace. I check mine when I am under the car, they seem to want to slip after the occasional high wind speeds encountered around here.....
The diffusers (scoops) that Silversss cut off, direct air onto the oil pan and are there as long as you have the panel in place, or cut them off.

Last edited by 911monty; 06-27-2016 at 11:32 AM. Reason: scoop
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:53 AM   #23

understood. so I guess am in the lookout for those. Never been too impressed with the higher temp of my boxster car really, and it's getting older now lol. Won't hurt to have them (re)installed this summer.

Watch out for those autumn leaves with these things pointing in that direction tho :/ dunno
Old 06-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSSS View Post
I've made plenty of gaskets in the past, like the rubber infused cork sheets, Anybody see any downside to making a oil pan gasket? Seems like a much better solution then RTV!!!
Personally I would love one. Not a fan of rtv, especially where it can plug things. Porsche engineers are smart people so I figured they would have retro-ed a gasket if it was really needed. I actually have to reseal my pan as it's leaking.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #25

The LN 2 qt deep sump has a gasket. Maybe you could get one from LN?
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #26

2 Scoops

I do not have those either to the best of my recollection...part numbers ??
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:22 PM   #27

Garage
Found an old thread where some of the Sages had discussed these previously. Part numbers are included.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/36372-always-wondered-what-these.html

edit Pelican has them $10.75 ea P/N 986 331 361 03

Last edited by 911monty; 06-27-2016 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Pelican
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Fred anything for you man! Excuse the juvenile attempt, not close to your standard! Anyway here is a photo from the web. The actual scoops circled in red. The Diffuser is circled in magenta. There would be a second where the broken piece of panel circled in yellow. These are what Silversss cut off.

Ok, so the scoops in red were cut off, and the panel in yellow is missing? Silver just hit the junkyard or ebay and get some replacements. You would be surprised at the 996s and 986s missing those panels.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:50 AM   #29

the broken piece is the rearmost plastic bottom section cover, mine still on the garage (me bad..) but still has the P/N sticker on it, if you need it I will post it when I get home.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:49 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
It doesn't seem like a better solution to me. I've never had the RTV-style sealant leak on an oil pan. You just have to use the correct stuff. Way less hassle than making your own gaskets!
One of the reason's manufacturer's stopped using RTV is because the silicone leaches into the oil, which gets into the combustion chamber via blowby and destroys the catalytic converters and fouls oxygen sensors. Newer sealants were developed that didn't have this issue (loctite.)

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote