Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Rear jacking point

A bit confused now. My mechanic told me not to Use the area suggested by one source which is the corners of the rear large bolt on aluminum chassis reinforcement plate which I think puts pressure on the rear suspension arm mount or diagonal brace. Bentley manual says to use the rear axle support point in the middle of the car. I been using the first method. Are they both right?
Thanks,
David

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There is some debate on this, but one of those two spots is the only way to get the car on four stands without something like JackPoint stands. You should be okay using one of those two spots (middle forward or side) to get it on stands, but do not use the point at the back of the plate (closest to the rear of the car) which is only supported by a small metal bar. I personally use the middle forward point, but you need a really long/low jack.

Last edited by rick3000; 04-11-2016 at 05:38 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Garage
101 Projects for Porsche Boxster from Pelican Parts. I think it is onlime also. There are 4 places (in addition to the official jacking points) where you can jack the car safely.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
A bit confused now. My mechanic told me not to Use the area suggested by one source which is the corners of the rear large bolt on aluminum chassis reinforcement plate which I think puts pressure on the rear suspension arm mount or diagonal brace. Bentley manual says to use the rear axle support point in the middle of the car. I been using the first method. Are they both right?
Thanks,
David
They are both wrong; there are four jack points beneath the car, they are listed in the owner's manual.

We see cars just about everyday with damage caused by jacking in the wrong places.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:10 AM   #5

So from my manual, the four points are just the 2 on both sides that the provided jack attaches to. So next question. how does one jack up using those points and them put the car on jack stands if the designated spot for the jack stand is already being used by the jack. This would seem like you can only work on these if you have a lift. My two sources were pelican and Bentley. That is really bad if they are wrong since they are the main source of info for most of is.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:53 AM   #6

Garage
I have always used these Frame(Front), Suspension(Rear) points to get the car up for stands
After I drop down on jack stands on (4) support posts, I still use jacks under these points as extras when laying under the car

Old 04-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #7

I use that same one as shown in the Pelican for the rear, for the front I use that same one. The Bentley also shows a center point for jacking the rear:

Sometimes I use that center point if I am lifting the car in stages (When jacking I go to the lowest point on the jack stands, then I go around again and go up to the final height). You will bend up that end of the sheet metal brace a little but I don't think it hurts anything.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:17 AM   #8

Thanks guys. These pictures show what I was trying to explain.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:07 AM   #9

Quote:
So from my manual, the four points are just the 2 on both sides that the provided jack attaches to. So next question. how does one jack up using those points and them put the car on jack stands if the designated spot for the jack stand is already being used by the jack. This would seem like you can only work on these if you have a lift. My two sources were pelican and Bentley. That is really bad if they are wrong since they are the main source of info for most of is.
Simple: You insert a jacking pad, and jack the car up:

Old 04-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #10

I get the jacking up, but I don't get where to place a jack stand after I have jacked the car up, since the jack is in the spot where I put the stand. What part am I missing? Also, just to be clear ; your saying the pictures provided are not good jack up spots? Sorry to be ignorant on the matter, I just don't want to mess more stuff up in the future. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #11

Take the guess work out of jacking your car up. I purchased a set of lift bars, link below, that work awesome. I can jack the entire car up in about 3 minutes. I am not affiliated with this company, but I do highly recommend these bars. I bought these the same day I bought my 04 S and wouldn't do maintenance any other way.

Liftbars
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #12

Also, these.

http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #13

I will be looking into one of those products. My Mechanic said the car wasn't meant to be jacked up from any other location. Seems the mechanics agree, good enough for me.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
This is EXACTLY my question too!! How is it possibel to jack the front of the car at the proper front jack location AND THEN place the jack stand in the same place the lift is????

So...I believe the answer is this...PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong....

Say you want to place a jack stand under the front left corner. START by using your lift at the REAR LEFT jack point just in front of the left rear wheel. This will lift the entire left side of the car and you'll be able to place the jack stand in the desired front left position. Then, lower the lift.

Next, switch the the right side and repeat. Now the entire front end will be on jacks.

Next, lift the left rear at the left rear jack point and place a jack stand under the RIGHT REAR side of the car, then get the lift out of the way and you should be able to place the left rear jack stand.

Is this all correct???
BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:17 AM   #15

Garage
For the front if you look back on this thread you will see pictures indicating a frame structure at the back of the tire about a foot in from the edge. I use a small piece of 2x4 between the jack and the sub-frame. I place my jacks just behind the front tires, enough so you can get the stands in after jacked up. I jack both sides, a little bit on each side, until the car is high enough to place stands under.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #16
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Putting the Front on Stands:
-Use the factory rear jack point and lift the entire side of the car up
-Use the alternative jack point that is forward/inside the factory front jack point

Putting the Rear on Stands:
-Use the factory front jack point and lift the entire side of the car up
-Use the alternative jack points under the suspension
-Use the alternative center jack point under the engine to lift the entire rear up (requires a long/low jack)

Front and Rear:
-Use a grooved jack pad on the unibody seam a few inches forward or back from the factory front/rear jack points (I do not recommend this because the unibody seam will probably bend, but it is only a cosmetic issue)
Old 11-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18febe View Post
Take the guess work out of jacking your car up. I purchased a set of lift bars, link below, that work awesome. I can jack the entire car up in about 3 minutes. I am not affiliated with this company, but I do highly recommend these bars. I bought these the same day I bought my 04 S and wouldn't do maintenance any other way.

Liftbars
Ditto... liftbars work great and fit Boxsters and 911s.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote