Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #41
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Fwiw....

......I'm new to the Porsche universe.

I'm 50 years old and have owned a Miata for 23 years.

I decided I wanted a Boxster.

I did a LOT of research. I actually work in the auto industry and have a good knowledge of auto manufacturing and how these vehicles work.

I decided that I wanted to own a 2004 "50 Years of 550 Spyder" edition Boxster S. I discovered the IMS issue. I found a car and bought her and then shipped her to Jake Raby at Flat 6 Innovations. If you go to his web site you can see the various preventative maintenance packages he offers.

I asked him to install his "IMS Solution", a new clutch, flywheel, water pump, rear main seal, spark plugs, serpentine belt and pulleys, Air/Oil Separator, and all three cam chain tensioners.

Yeah. A freaking boatload of money. He sent a great driver who flat bedded my car there and back for me.

Worth...Every....Penny.

A bargain at twice the price.

My wife and I have driven the car on four, cross-country road trips in the nine months I've owned the car. We didn't have to worry about the car.

IMS solution "expensive"? No. It's PRICELESS.

The IMS Solution in an oil fed, plain bearing. ZERO moving parts. Nothing to fail. It will outlast the engine and can actually be transferred to ANOTHER engine.

Just save up and INVEST in the IMS Solution.

Expensive? How much do you think a new engine or new Boxster costs? Not to mention your time and trouble and being without a ride.

Just do it and start enjoying life.

Good luck.

Welcome to the Boxster world. I'm NEVER selling this car. I love her, she makes me smile, and my wife and I are having more fun on our road trips in her.

Cheers!

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:24 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
If that were the case, then why would LN sell the IMS Gaurdian? By your statement, it is completely worthless marketing hype garbage. Not even close to true, but I see that you drank heavily of the JR brand kool-aid, so no point in further discussion.
Other than it seems you have an ax to grind and don't know what you're talking about as JFP showed.
1999 996, Track Only #996
Everything Jake could upgrade, and more!
ltusler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
Porsche's original bearing must be the best then cause I'm still on my original factory bearing 15 yrs later. 01 986 with 72k miles, oil changed with Mobil 1 0w-40 every 15k miles or 2 years! Still rockin and rollin.
Marc has just passed the 300k miles mark on his original '01 IMS bearing. Does that mean anything more than one data point?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #44
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltusler View Post
Other than it seems you have an ax to grind and don't know what you're talking about as JFP showed.
Being an engineer, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

My point is that I've watched 3 rebuilds in which JR and your fellow fanboys said that it wouldn't work due to failed bearing debris. All 3 are still running. If caught early through due diligence and proper filter/magnet check (or with the Guardian), and with proper tear down and cleaning, the engine is completely salvageable. It just takes a competent and willing person.
The Guardian may not have "been designed" for the 986, but it sure is marketed as such and plenty of 986/996 owners use them for that exact reason.

Now, I've read rennlist for years and am very familiar with your posts. I've witnessed you attacking some that question JR, resorting to name calling and accusations like, "I bet you don't even have a Porsche". I will not debate technical details with someone that has exhibited both zero technical background and the propensity to start hurling insults when his weak argument with no actual technical basis breaks down in the face of intelligence.

So...I'm just going to add you to my very short block list. The 986forum is better without that type of behavior.
Have a nice day!

Last edited by particlewave; 04-07-2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: not worth the keystrokes. ;)
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:01 AM   #45

@particlewave: Just smile. Life is too short.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:05 AM   #46
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Marc has just passed the 300k miles mark on his original '01 IMS bearing. Does that mean anything more than one data point?
No it doesn't. I think Marc's is an 02 btw. Regardless, I'm not worried. I just keep using mine as I do any other car I've ever owned, and I don't even think about replacing the IMS. If it blows up, so be it. I already got my money's worth. I think the problem is a lot smaller than its made up to be, and people worry too much...
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:49 AM   #47
Master Brewer

Garage
If you are going to replace the IMSB do it right. Had mine pulled at 32K along with the clutch assembly, water pump, LT thermo, belt, AOS, chain tensioners, radiator cap. LN bearings done by qualified installers using a pre-qualification approach allows for stress free driving. Just do it....right.
2004 Ford F-150 4X4 Crew
6 Fast Bicycles
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:50 AM   #48
Project Addicted

This like arguing over whether is water wet. There are too many opinions!! It's your car, do what you want with it but most of all enjoy it. Use an old beer can for your IMSB or Unobtanium, as long as it works for you, that's cool. I did not use the ceramic bearing, installed it myself (wicked easy), and put my young daughter in the car as her DD. I'm not worried, I did this as a maintenance measure @ 122K miles as we were in there to change the clutch and make the car solid and reliable as a DD with a pretty young girl driving it. The unfortunate part of an IMSB failure is that it is fatal to the engine. Not like a water pump that will leave you stranded but fixable.

It's your car, enjoy it...please.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 AM   #49

Wow, I have created a firestorm. I am going to do it just as insurance. I highly doubt the original ims will fail. Just so I sleep better at night, I would rather spend 2k now then have something happen and end up with a 3k paper weight as some have referenced. To me it is like buying additional insurance to cover expenses incase your out of work for an extended period of time due to an accident. Likely you will never really need but nice knowing you have it.
I do agree with Particle Wave that there is a lot of fear mongering going on and that this is no way as prevalent as one is led to believe. You can't open a porsche magazine without seeing ims replacement ads. It's business, I get that. From the volume, one would think it is a mass epidemic impacting all Boxsters. Just The past Excellence user guide did a whole write up on it. It's everywhere. I sometimes admire the folks who don't get caught up in the whole porsche world of magazines and chat sites. They just buy and drive without a care in the world. For me, I have no defense, I am a sucker for good advertisement, some might say a fool. Did I make the right choice? I would say time will tell, but likely it really won't.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #50

Garage
Four subjects that are sure to create a firestorm here. IMS, tires, oil....and cats.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:23 PM   #51

I just recently purchased my 01 boxster with 71k miles. Concerned with all these articles on IMS replacement. How do I find out if previous owner performed this maintenance. I have a carfax of all maintenance completed but not of that.
glenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Thanks guys. All very helpful. I am having mine done next week. Wish me luck. I am paying someone else.

I think the conclusion is the 6 year is more a random warranty number than anything else. 75k will take me 20 years. Good stuff.
Make sure they give you the warranty sheet.
That the work order has the serial number of the bearing on it.

And that you get the driver's door jamb serial number sticker - most people put it by the VIN sticker.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:02 AM   #53

I've thought long and hard, but with 170,000 miles on my car, I'm not going to spend thousands on upgrades since it is on borrowed time after this anyway. If and when it blows, I will drop in a lower mileage used 2.5 and have the IMSB and chain tensioners replaced during the install. I'll likely go with the "solution" as it's the more permanent piece-of-mind. Since the ceramic ball bearing one has a recommended replacement time, I'd have to be replacing it every 18 months with the high number of miles I rack up on a car. Most owners won't have to worry about that.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:03 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenf View Post
I just recently purchased my 01 boxster with 71k miles. Concerned with all these articles on IMS replacement. How do I find out if previous owner performed this maintenance. I have a carfax of all maintenance completed but not of that.
If you do not have the original paperwork from the shop that did it, it was not done so plan accordingly.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:12 AM   #55
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If you do not have the original paperwork from the shop that did it, it was not done so plan accordingly.
No paperwork here. My Indi brought the cam lockers to my shop and swapped IMS with LN right where it sat. I had pulled trans and was doing a clutch. $900 (handed him a grand) and I have the old one and the SN stickers to show it was done.

Seems to be just as much anti JR koolaid as pro. I sure as hell would not buy nor want an engine that's had shavings circulating around. That would be a no go for me to own, not surprising they won't touch one either. I sure wouldn't.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:21 AM   #56

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If you have no record and the owner didn't advertise it when he sold it then it wasn't done (to build on timco scenario.)
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #57

If it was done with an LN kit you might have a sticker with an LN serial number somewhere in the car. Mine was in the trunk. Sometimes in the door as well. Worth a check especially if you have no record of it. If you find one you can contact LN with the serial number and they should be able to tell you when it was done and possibly by who. In my case I had the DOF installed and found the sticker afterwards lol. But in the end it was done 5 years back so was technically "almost due" based on LNs warranty etc. at the time. and I was happy to do the DOF anyway.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #58

Garage
I bought my 2003 S with 100000KM on it didn't get any paperwork with it but had a long talk with the owner had a complete checkup of the car done and was safety tested and etested so I know it was mechanically fit. He also told me he had regular maintenance done on the car and oil changes and that was good enough for me. I don't intend also to change anything on the car like IMS AOS water pump thermostat I just intend on driving it that's all and enjoy it.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #59

For me, this comes down to two issues

Issue 1: The Bet

IMSB options differ by design and cost. Some designs will probably last longer than others. My own beliefs are these. The IMS Solution has the longest service life and may cause the least collateral damage when it fails. Ceramic bearings likely have the next longest service life and steel bearings have the least. When ceramic or steel ball bearing IMSBs fail, the collateral damage can range from minimal to catastrophic.

Issue 2: The Cost of A Lost Bet

If your handy a turning a wrench, have all the necessary special tools, and have access to what's needed to clean out debris, then your financial risks are lower and the questions whether to replace and what to replace the IMSB with become more difficult to answer. That, however, isn't me. I'd need to shop out the replacement / rebuild and doing so would open a big drain in my wallet at local indie rates. The price tag would be in the $ thousands.

My Decision

I had two goals: keep my 125K mileage car around for a long time and minimize the odds of me paying a large bill if the IMSB failed. I choose the Solution as my bet. Time will let me know if I won.

As for the bearing that came out of my car, it was a single row that looked pristine and didn't wobble. When I opened up the seal, however, it was clear the lubricating grease had washed out. Only the Porsche gods know how much longer it would have lasted.

Good luck...gather as many facts and opinions as you can and try to separate the marketing hype and unfounded opinions from what's real. Hint: if LN bearings failed frequently the boards would be screaming with condemnations. They're not which should tell you something.

Last edited by thom4782; 04-09-2016 at 08:07 AM.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
No paperwork here. My Indi brought the cam lockers to my shop and swapped IMS with LN right where it sat. I had pulled trans and was doing a clutch. $900 (handed him a grand) and I have the old one and the SN stickers to show it was done.

Seems to be just as much anti JR koolaid as pro. I sure as hell would not buy nor want an engine that's had shavings circulating around. That would be a no go for me to own, not surprising they won't touch one either. I sure wouldn't.
You are missing my point. You have some documentation to support the installation; but we see quite a few PPI candidates every year, and some claim LN IMS retrofits without any supporting documents, stickers, or photos. We have even had one that claimed it had an LN IMS Solution done. Only problem was the car was pre 2000, making it a dual row, and this occurred before LN released the dual row Solution. On the lift, there was no special spin on oil filter adaptor and oil line running to the bell housing, a dead giveaway. Yet the car's owner never backed off, even after we told the prospective buyer to move on to other cars. Sometimes people simply lie when it is to their benefit.

An experienced eye can often tell whether the car has been apart or not, but the average buyer usually cannot, or cannot gain access to see if it has been worked on. So when asked, we tell people that if there is no supporting documentation, assume it has not been done, and adjust your bid accordingly, or move on.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 04-09-2016 at 08:09 AM.
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote