Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2006, 10:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhduxbury
mnb -- the OP indicated he has a 987 -- that car takes less oil than a 986 -- according to my 987 manual:

oil change with filter = 7.75 litres (8.19 quarts)
oil change w/o filter (perish the thought of not throwing on a new filter!) = 7.5 litres (7.93 quarts)

btw, following those guidelines with 2 diy oil & filter changes i have never overfilled, or underfilled, and the fill is at the top (3d) "ok" bar (not the "overfill" bar) -- so i don't think there's a tsb on it -- actually, i'd rather be in the 3 "acceptable" bars (and top off from there) than in the overfill bar (who knows how much?) -- and oh, the "checking from the back" thing sounds like bull****************

as for the bars (1 too low, 3 acceptable, 1 too high) in a 987 --

"The difference between the minimum and maximum marks on the (oil level) segment display is approx. 1.2 litres.

Each segment of the display corresponds to approx. 0.4 litre."

0.4 litre = 13.5 fl. oz / 0.423 quarts / 1.69 cups (just over one cup and two-thirds, which is what i would use).

then again, the OP said: "From the look of the meter it is full at all but one bar"

"at all BUT ONE BAR" -- that means all is perfect, from what i can tell.

but it's an example of yet another potential issue (along with cost) that militates in favor of diy oil/filter changes

rock on

brett
Hi,

I agree with you. But remember, this is all the same engine, just the Bore and Stroke Differ, so the capacities remain the same. I agree that it's better to reside in the in-between marks than to try and Top it Up. The in-between is not Low, just not maxxed...

Happy Motoring... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote