Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2006, 09:26 PM   #1

Too much oil??!?!?!?

OK... this is a newbie question.....

i had the oil changed when i purchased my car (10500 mi) ---- I had it done at the dealer ( $280 thank you very much....wretch!) The 987 has a digital oil monitor and now mine reads full bars----From the look of the meter it is full at all but one bar. Do i have too much oil?

Rondog

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:58 PM   #2

Hi,

The short answer is YES. But, if all it is is a single Bar over, it's nothing to worry about. Problem is, if it's at the Top Bar, it could be much higher with no additional Bar(s) to measure it.

In these Cars, it's better to run a little on the Low side rather than the High side. This is because with almost 9 Qts. it's gonna still have plenty of Oil, even if it is a tad Low. But, if it's High, this can foul the Plugs and lead to premature death of the Cats and OČ Sensors.

My suggestion is to drive it for a day, park it on level ground overnight and then check it by using the Countdown Oil Measure by just turning the Ignition to ON (but without going all the way to Start). The Digital Gauge is notoriously inaccurate (though some are OK) and you may find that the Oil had just not fully circulated and so was registering a bit High.

If it is still high, return to the Dealer and have them drain a little. You don't have a dipstick and so can't use the MityVac Extraction Method.

Ask the Dealer how much they put in (which probably means nothing because they won't know emphatically, nor did they measure how much they drained out). Also, be sure to ask them if they changed the Filter (for $280 they Bloody well should have) along with the Change (if not, they could have overfilled the system by NOT allowing for the Oil which didn't drain from the Filter). I am so distrustful of Dealer Oil Changes, not to mention the $$, that I would never let them do it, but that's me. I would also wear my size 12's and raise a stink considering they are the Dealer and they charged you $280 to NOT get it right. Oil Changes are not Rocket Science, they really have no excuse to have been so careless if it turns out they did in fact overfill it. Worse case, they'll give you a discount on the next service or Oil Change. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99 (thanking God he has a Dipstick)

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-15-2006 at 07:20 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:20 PM   #3

Jim,

Thanks for the input... I will call the dealer tomorrow and ask them as well....
Nothing like adding injury to insult..paying thru yur ass for the Oil Change and then having them do it incorrectly......life aint always fair!

I am guessing there will be a lot of hemming/hawing and denials----we'll see...

RONDOG

2005 987S
BLK/BLK
PASM
SPTS CHRONO +
PCM w NAV
19" CARRERA S

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...P4724Large.jpg
Rondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:39 AM   #4

This is all assuming the little bars device is accurate.

I for one don't trust these devices but without a dispstick, what is our choice?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:35 PM   #5

hi all...any update on this particular incident? i just got the first oil change on my 987S at the dealer as well...now I have full bars (all bars highlighted, even the top small one). I think I will call the dealer tomorrow...is this anything to worry about?

what was the outcome of the post topic? did they siphon oil out?
dezigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:56 AM   #6

987 doesn't have a dip stick? Thats bizzare.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote