Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #1
Ben-Auto-Design

Engine mount inserts ... don't !

Hi !

Today, I decided to finally change my engine mount.
It's not the hardest of job, took 1h20min.

To replace my really really bad mount, I chose the updated 987 mount, and Torque solution insert instead of the OEM stops (the inserts were actually cheaper @ 49$).

Well... don't do the same mistake ! The car is undrivable ! It shakes so much that I wonder how I managed to go back home !
Plus, the vibration foul the knock sensors and the car has no power (no CEL).

The inserts squeeze the mount in the carrier so tight that it's basically a solid mount now

Sure, I got rid of a lot of the play in the shifter, which feels even more solid now and shifts beautifully. But I don't see how you can drive this !

So tomorrow I'll have to take the engine mount out again, and cut/grind the inserts so it fits like the OEM one because the dealership did had any stops in stock ...

Conclusion... for your engine mount, buy OEM !

Ben.

Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #2

I have a powerflex engine mount insert in my other car right now. I thought the same thing when I installed it and went for a ride. Almost unbearable. Before you remove it, give a few days to settle in and the NVH will lessen.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #3
Ben-Auto-Design

that's what I tought at first, but it's really really rough.

Was your insert really tight ?
I had to use WD40 and a lot of force to put the mount back in the carrier !

The thing is that i'm afraid that it might cause some damage to something or loosen something :/

Thank you for the feed back !

Edit:
I just went on their website and noticed that they were close to were I live !
I'll give them a call or visit them tomorrow !

Thank you

Last edited by Ben006; 11-10-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #4

Yes, it was VERY tight. The ride back home on the highway I was thinking "what the hell did I do to my car?!". But soon after it settled down, and its not really any worse than stock.

Keep in mind this isn't on a boxster and how much it settles depends on the durometer of the insert, but that was my experience with engine mount inserts.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
Ben-Auto-Design

Ok, we'll see then.
I've sent them a mail to see what they say about it !

Thanks
Old 11-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
Ben-Auto-Design

No answer from torque solution :/
So I took the lead and ground the insert flat so they would fit perfectly inside without being too tight.
It took 20 minutes from the time I took my toolbox out and the time I had the mount out. 40 minutes to grind the inserts on a bench grinder (and clean the mess that I just made), and 15-20 minutes to put the mount back on !

Now the car feels really good ! like a new car (new flywheel, clutch, ims, tires, and engine mount )
Old 11-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

I had a similar experience with the WEVO semi-solid mount - its SEMI-solid, so my thinking was that it should be firmer than stock but softer than a solid mount. Boy, was I wrong! The semi-solid mount felt like a solid block of aluminum! The side mirrors vibrated such that the image was blurred when sitting still at idle. Changed back to stock and learned the lesson.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #8

Been in a Cayman R with a semi solid mount and it was awful at anything other than 4K plus.....hard accelerateion / wot i can't recall as the fear of smacking the walls of Mosport was in me.

Generally, I would think the extra vibes you are going to get would be disruptive rather than help you on track. Just put the stock 987 one in there and all will be well
Old 11-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #9

Ben's experiment/mod suggests that perhaps there was a manufacturing error in the molding of the insert ? For example, over filling the mold with PU foam.
Seems his vendor is not the only one to make a similar error.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
Ben-Auto-Design

No manufacturing error, more of a design error.
If I were to make an insert, I would leave some compliance, but there was none.

I ground it to mimic the stock stops shape.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben006 View Post
No manufacturing error, more of a design error.
If I were to make an insert, I would leave some compliance, but there was none.

I ground it to mimic the stock stops shape.
First the Shifter now Ben - do a motor mount insert ?
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
I have a powerflex engine mount insert in my other car right now. I thought the same thing when I installed it and went for a ride. Almost unbearable. Before you remove it, give a few days to settle in and the NVH will lessen.
Perfect post! I was looking for some feedback as I took my first drive with the Powerlex engine mount insert. I thought as you did. Unbearable! I was very close to ordering a stock 987 mount until I saw your post lol. The NVH seems to be coming from the front mount. Mind you, I have the Rennline transmission tuneable blue inserts as well. Has it smoothed out any further? I'm very curious about your findings. Thanks!
djw8282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:33 AM   #13
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

Never use aftermarket engine mounts!

The OEM engine mounts are the only way to go.

Just think of them as a wear item that your replace regularly.

All of the aftermarket engine mounts that claim to “firm up shifting” et. al., are disastrous.

Even if you get a “slightly” firmer one, they ALL trigger the engine knock sensors and you will actually LOSE horsepower and torque. I have seen it on the dyno.

Just stay away from them all.

Good luck.
550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10/10ths View Post
The OEM engine mounts are the only way to go.

Just think of them as a wear item that your replace regularly.

All of the aftermarket engine mounts that claim to “firm up shifting” et. al., are disastrous.

Even if you get a “slightly” firmer one, they ALL trigger the engine knock sensors and you will actually LOSE horsepower and torque. I have seen it on the dyno.

Just stay away from them all.

Good luck.
Hey 10/10ths,

If a knock sensor is triggered will I get a code? How about semi-solid trans mount with the 987 engine mount?
Old 12-01-2020, 05:31 AM   #15

I have the soft function first insert and my knock sensors are not showing any activity.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #16
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw8282 View Post
Perfect post! I was looking for some feedback as I took my first drive with the Powerlex engine mount insert. I thought as you did. Unbearable! I was very close to ordering a stock 987 mount until I saw your post lol. The NVH seems to be coming from the front mount. Mind you, I have the Rennline transmission tuneable blue inserts as well. Has it smoothed out any further? I'm very curious about your findings. Thanks!
Powerflex has a series of engine mount products. I have the "Street Series" yellow bushing installed. It's not an 'insert', but replaces the entire bushing in the stock mount. I have no complaints in my '97 2.5L and will be putting it in my other cars as they need replacement.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Powerflex has a series of engine mount products. I have the "Street Series" yellow bushing installed. It's not an 'insert', but replaces the entire bushing in the stock mount. I have no complaints in my '97 2.5L and will be putting it in my other cars as they need replacement.

That's the one I have. Did you feel it was less abrupt after awhile? Maybe because it was my first drive and the combination of my transmission mounts..
Old 12-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #18
Who's askin'?

I filled the voids of an OEM mount (front mount) with urethane. I'm not sure I can tell a difference, really.
ymmv.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:01 AM   #19
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw8282 View Post
That's the one I have. Did you feel it was less abrupt after awhile? Maybe because it was my first drive and the combination of my transmission mounts..
I didn't notice any increased vibration as compared to a new 'Lemforder' replacement bushing that I've used in the past as a replacement. Most of the engine mounts that I've replaced have been done soon after purchasing a car and the old mounts were shot. That makes it hard to do a head to head comparison, but I'm quite satisfied with the Powerflex bushing.

Pics because I like to post pics...

Last edited by 78F350; 12-02-2020 at 06:06 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:03 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I didn't notice any increased vibration as compared to a new 'Lemforder' replacement bushing that I've used in the past as a replacement. Most of the engine mounts that I've replaced have been done soon after purchasing a car and the old mounts were shot. That makes it hard to do a head to head comparison, but I'm quite satisfied with the Powerflex bushing.

Pics because I like to post pics...

Thanks for the feedback. Strongly considering the Powerflex bushing myself.

Radman is offline   Reply With Quote