Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #21

The car is absolutely filthy so I'm going to pull it out and hose it down tomorrow and I'll take pictures then. And yes! everything is for sale on it (except the parts I'll be needing!). I'll get in touch with him for you and see what he wants for those things. Its a black on black 03 boxster base.

boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:07 AM   #22

Pics as promised! Super happy with the way it cleaned up. Never would have guessed it would have cleaned up this well based on the original pictures. Damage doesn't look bad at all either. Literally just looks like someone disassembled it to check for structural damage didn't bother putting it back together. In fact, I found the original radiator and AC condenser virtually undamaged in the front trunk with all the hardware.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #23

If there was a hit strong enough to bend wheels and control arms, are the mounting points true?

If the estimate was done, do you have access to it to see what they felt needed to be replaced?

I'd get those verified before I'd put any serious time or serious money into it. Looks beautiful from the right angle though.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
If there was a hit strong enough to bend wheels and control arms, are the mounting points true?

If the estimate was done, do you have access to it to see what they felt needed to be replaced?

I'd get those verified before I'd put any serious time or serious money into it. Looks beautiful from the right angle though.
I tried this before as I bought a salvaged car from COPART in the USA. In order to obtain a rebuilt title in Canada I needed to either produce the original repair estimate and receipts for the purchase of items needed to complete the repair, or a letter from the insurance company that they were not wlling to release that information.

I eneded up with the letter, as I tracked the info back to the insurance company. Luckily my former car had an insurance slip under the seat that wasnt removed. They however declined my request for the estimate due to PRIVACY ISSUES.

Glad you got the cooling parts tho. Looks good from here

Last edited by GTA_G20; 11-07-2015 at 12:52 PM.
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #25

All the suspension components where the damage is are 100% intact and the wheel is perfectly straight. Its actually the back drivers side wheel where the track rod is broken. Clean snap in half with no damage to any of the mounting points or any nearby structures.

edit: and I already got a letter from the insurance company that the MTO approved of!

Last edited by boxxster; 11-07-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #26
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Wow, that's some sticker price for a Boxster!
No kidding! I almost fell out of my chair.

Keep posting updates! Lots of interest in this project.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 06:35 AM   #27

Nothing much new to add this weekend. Haven't got many of the parts yet so I've just been using the downtime to clean things up a bit. Figured I'd clean the frunk out and wipe up all the plastics in the cowl area and behind the bumper. Also took the rear intakes off and cleaned inside them and started claying the rest of the car. Rad/condensor assembly and track rod should be going on this coming weekend. Then all thats left to be done is installing the fender, wheel liner, bumper, and headlight.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #28

It looks like a pretty easy project to fix since nothing real serious appears to be damaged.

I would check for codes before running the engine. You need a durametric or one of those cheap Chinese "PIWIS" cables to look at some of the primary Porsche codes.

It is a fantastic opportunity to put some performance suspension, HID headlights and other parts into it if you are so inclined.

You should read these forums for ideas on where you want to take this project.

PS: Born and raised in Oakville, but I left for year round Porsche driving weather

Ray
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:29 PM   #29

Yeah I'm really happy with how minor the damage appears to be. Buying a smashed up porsche from half way across the country could have turned out much, much worse. I already have a pretty modified s/c mini cooper so the plan is to keep this car a little more mellow! That being said there are definitely a few things I plan to change, namely the shifter to the 997 version from all the good things I've read. If there are any other cheap, simple mods like that I'm all ears. I have a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and the torque app on my phone but never even thought to hook it up yet. Good call.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:24 PM   #30
pjq

Have you put the car on jacks, removed the under panels looking for leaks? especially the area between the engine and transmission where a leaky IMSB or RMS would show?
pjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:14 PM   #31

For a mere $500 or less you can put on the Top Speed exhaust and 2nd cat delete.
Once you hear that sweet sporty grumbling you will be driving it with the radio off, top down through underpasses a lot more.

I also like what an underdrive pulley did for my 01 S. Gets you another 5hp and saves wear on the power steering when winding up the engine.

You owe it to yourself to take the Porsche auto-crossing or racing at least once and taking a Porsche performance driving school is well worth it and lots of fun, plus you'll meet the local Porsche enthusiasts and make some new friends.

Welcome to the slippery slope.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:32 AM   #32

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really tempted to put an exhaust on it but it would have to be something very subtle and mature sounding. I've done the whole loud exhaust thing and just don't want to be putting up with any drone. Taking it to the track at least once would be something I plan to do somewhere down the road.

pjq, all I've done at this point is crawl under it with a flashlight and everything looked dry from what I could see. I will however be taking a better look when I get around to changing the oil and tranny fluid.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #33

Got quite a bit done today. Replaced the rear track rod and got the rad/condensor assembly put back together. Engine was running perfectly fine until about 10-15 mins into running the new coolant in (I was following the instructions where you open the bleed valve and get it hot enough to cycle the fans on and off a few times) the CEL started flashing and the engine started running really rough. I pulled code P0303 (cylinder 3 misfire) from it. It only did this for a minute or two, by the time I pulled it back into the garage and went to shut it off the engine started running normally again and the CEL stopped flashing. Any ideas? Maybe I just let it get too hot sitting there? The temp gauge never went much past 80 though. Otherwise everything was fine. No leaks where I put the rad on or anything.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #34

Alright so I tried to look around a bit under the car thinking that maybe I would find something wrong with the cylinder 3 coil or injector and I found this random loose hose with a bit of wetness at the end. For reference, thats the axle in the foreground and I was looking from the rear of the car. The first pic is sideways, it should be 90 degrees to the right so the hose points downward. The second pic is looking straight up at it from underneath the axle area.

Any ideas? I know when I was running the coolant in when it overflowed it drained out onto the floor in this general area. But if this is just trunk drain for the coolant and oil adding area I don't see why it would have a hose clamp on the end of it. Any ideas?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Alright so I tried to look around a bit under the car thinking that maybe I would find something wrong with the cylinder 3 coil or injector and I found this random loose hose with a bit of wetness at the end. For reference, thats the axle in the foreground and I was looking from the rear of the car. The first pic is sideways, it should be 90 degrees to the right so the hose points downward. The second pic is looking straight up at it from underneath the axle area.

Any ideas? I know when I was running the coolant in when it overflowed it drained out onto the floor in this general area. But if this is just trunk drain for the coolant and oil adding area I don't see why it would have a hose clamp on the end of it. Any ideas?
Looks like tank fill area drain hose to me. Pour some water into the fill area with someone watching or plug with pencil then pull. As far as hose clamp.......ask PO?

Last edited by 911monty; 11-23-2015 at 09:29 AM. Reason: nonsensical
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #36

Looking around on the web, I'm pretty sure its just the coolant overflow hose, which makes sense. Still doesn't answer why there would be a hose clamp would be on the end of it though. That made me think it was supposed to connect somewhere. No idea who the PO is so I'm figuring things out as I go.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:29 AM   #37
B6T

I remember seeing that car on Copart. What did you end up getting it for, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm looking for a nice project for the winter too. Looking for a 2000+ Non-S 5-speed, if you know of anything around. I'm in Ontario too.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #38

Never heard of copart until now but I got this through impact. Paid somewhere between 4 and 5k cdn for it

Only other boxster I know of in the area is the one a family friend is parting out. Its an 03 non s that was hit in the rear. Pretty much everything but the back bumper and trunk is intact but it only has the transmission in it, no engine. He'd like to sell the front clip whole so if you find something that is smashed up in the front then it might be of use to you.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #39

B6T, just had a flash back to My '88 Mazda 323 turbo days lol Nice handle
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #40
B6T

Nice! I've had two 323 GTs, a GTX, and a Festiva with a B6T in it. Maybe one of the 323s was yours? Who knows, they are super rare.

I've always enjoyed the whole small car/big engine thing. I recently swapped a 2.7tt into an '04 Audi A4. So I know the 2.7tt pretty well now. As luck would have it, I picked up another engine a few weeks back, which brings me to the Boxster forums looking for a roller...

B6T is offline   Reply With Quote