Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #21
Certified Boxster Addict

I am more than happy to hear that your kids are safe! That is all that really matters.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 10-07-2015 at 12:16 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:48 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I am more than happy to hear that your kids are safe! That is all that really matters.
Yes, agreed, potential learning experience for all involved.
Post #11 contains a telling sentence: " She over corrected to avoid a collision." Insurance Co will consider that as a confession of guilt. I consider it a normal reaction for most drivers especially, the young & inexperienced. Once the dust & dollars settle, I imagine your kids would welcome some defensive driving lessons. Maybe the insurance co will give a discount for them. Embrace this 2nd opportunity as much as you can.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #23

Garage
I'm glad they are OK. In PA the insurance will look at this as her fault, the other car did not hit yours, and she admitted to over correcting and losing control. As wrong as it is to say this she would have been better off from a insurance stand point to have stayed her course and left the other car hit her.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I'm glad they are OK. In PA the insurance will look at this as her fault, the other car did not hit yours, and she admitted to over correcting and losing control. As wrong as it is to say this she would have been better off from a insurance stand point to have stayed her course and left the other car hit her.
I'm glad she did what she did. Had the other car hit her, there would have been definite injuries.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #25

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Dash Cam / should have let them hit.
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:52 PM   #26

Garage
So, for the nay-sayers and stereo typers in the group. I checked my daughter's phone records and there was no phone activity, texting or calls or otherwise from 6:30pm-9:03pm after the accident when my son called me frantic and frightened and shook up and gave me the same story my daughter later gave.

My local retired law enforcement officer verified for me that insurance will always verify the phone activity and question what really happened, so I'm a little more understanding about that now. However, as I mentioned, I verified that my daughter is really doing what I told her to do. Not messing with her phone while she is driving.

Yes, it would appear as though she over corrected (I don't think she used that wording in the police report by the way). I'll get the police report tomorrow along with pictures. Hopefully, I will be able to glean from that why the officer voided the ticket. I also left a message with the officer who will be back on duty saturday to call me and explain why he voided the ticket if he is at liberty to share that. I'll share what I can on here. Probably just about every person on this forum has lost control of a vehicle at one time in their life, some ended up in a wreck and some managed to regain control. For someone with 1 year of driving experience, I'm not too surprised in a situation like this. She was already in the opposite lane of traffic and on loose gravel at the county road entrance where the perp decided to suddenly turn. Dead ahead of her was bar ditch she entered that, the car mostly on the bar ditch sliding sideways and headed back for the pavement where it initiated a rollover once and then ended up back in the bar ditch 20 feet from the highway on its wheels.

In any case, I am VERY thankful God is watching out for my kids. I'm very thankful for the car we put them in. It functioned well on and off the road.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:57 AM   #27

I'm happy there was not phone activity before the accident. It sounds like your daughter gets it and good for her. My point was how many parents blindly believe what their children tell them. Sorry if that makes me a a nay-sayer. This might be a chance to reinforce the no phone thing by talking about what would have happened if she was distracted by her phone. Stuff happens quickly when driving and new drivers have no experience to fall back on. Howeve, this is probably a conversation for later when the dust settles, but would be an excellent teachable moment none the less.

These are words I've proven myself many times: never drive faster than your guardian angels can fly.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:36 AM   #28

And I'm not a nay-sayer either. My point is the insurance adjuster deals with these situations all day everyday. And while your kids are the exception, the majority of cases are not going to be what is being told to them. They are of course going to be suspicious - not because it affects the results of the claim, simply because they want to know the truth about why they are paying the claim.

So there's really nothing to 'stick it to' the insurance company on or get angry about. Save that for if they try to deny coverage or aren't giving you a fair amount for the vehicle.
mack73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:15 AM   #29

I am glad everyone is okay. I think using police reports as an insurance tool is ridiculous. Unless the police are involved in the accident what do they know? They are just paper pushers and don't have any interest in getting the correct answer.
Example, I was in an accident where an old man was in his car gawking at a home for sale in my neighborhood. His car was mostly at the curb in front of the house, so I proceeded around him. He pulls out at the same time without looking and hits me in the rear passenger quarter doing a pit maneuver on me. The police had me at fault.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzle of Bees View Post
I am glad everyone is okay. I think using police reports as an insurance tool is ridiculous. Unless the police are involved in the accident what do they know? They are just paper pushers and don't have any interest in getting the correct answer.
Example, I was in an accident where an old man was in his car gawking at a home for sale in my neighborhood. His car was mostly at the curb in front of the house, so I proceeded around him. He pulls out at the same time without looking and hits me in the rear passenger quarter doing a pit maneuver on me. The police had me at fault.
Dang. That sucks!
The insurance agent emailed me today with a settlement check offer.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I'm happy there was not phone activity before the accident. It sounds like your daughter gets it and good for her. My point was how many parents blindly believe what their children tell them. Sorry if that makes me a a nay-sayer. This might be a chance to reinforce the no phone thing by talking about what would have happened if she was distracted by her phone. Stuff happens quickly when driving and new drivers have no experience to fall back on. Howeve, this is probably a conversation for later when the dust settles, but would be an excellent teachable moment none the less.

These are words I've proven myself many times: never drive faster than your guardian angels can fly.
Well put. know the limits of your current abilities.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #32
On the slippery slope

Garage
don't accept the first offer
They will always go higher
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
They haven't budged yet!
Old 10-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
They sent me a sheet with 15 different dealers with comparable CR-V's and pricing that fit the settlement and NOT a single car was still available. I emailed that bit of information back to them and have not heard back all day.
j
Old 10-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
They sent me a sheet with 15 different dealers with comparable CR-V's and pricing that fit the settlement and NOT a single car was still available. I emailed that bit of information back to them and have not heard back all day.

j

That helped a lot with mine! Point out that the "comparable" cars were all no longer comparable helped.

They do go off of comparable cars on the market as apposed to blue book. With something like a boxster this helps, however may hurt with a crv
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #36
On the slippery slope

Garage
Look on autotrader and cars.com as well as carmax. Only use dealer sales

2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote