Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2015, 04:01 AM   #21
Project Addicted

Pick up a laser thermometer and measure the temps at various places. There may be a bad sender involved and not other parts. Clean radiators is a good thing!

Jon

jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
It should read on the low side of the 8?
Odd, both my 986's run in between the 8 and 0 when fully warmed up and can venture to the high side of the 0 in outside temps above 90 degrees. I've been told by two shops, the dealership, and even a few folks on here that it was a 'normal' operating range.

Side note: awhile back, my daily driver started reading about what the image in the first post shows (even a little higher) and it turned out that there was tons of debris sandwiched between the condensers and radiators. A proper cleaning as described above (removing bumper cover and separating the condensers from the radiators) brought it right back down.
I get the same results as Retroman. I was seeing to the right of the zero in mid 80's and 10,000 elevation this weekend while climbing up the passes.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #23

I was driving yesterday the car and in the parking spot i saw how ALL coolant was leaking in the floor under, close to the back rear wheel. I immediately add more fluid but now when i tried to check from where was the leak i cant see nothing, the trunk is dry to... I stopped today in some chip service to ask the mechanic and he said what i have to change the head gasket, but i cant believed what is that!!!

Where i should check the leak? My car still hot, i already clean the radiators an the fans working properly..
Vanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya View Post
I was driving yesterday the car and in the parking spot i saw how ALL coolant was leaking in the floor under, close to the back rear wheel. I immediately add more fluid but now when i tried to check from where was the leak i cant see nothing, the trunk is dry to... I stopped today in some chip service to ask the mechanic and he said what i have to change the head gasket, but i cant believed what is that!!!

Where i should check the leak? My car still hot, i already clean the radiators an the fans working properly..
I had the same thing happen to me. After driving for a while, the pressure would build up that it would start leaking. I tried to test it at home by letting it idle and it didn't leak. I stuck my hand under the coolant tank and felt liquid. I then changed the coolant tank and been good ever since.
afterafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #25
On the slippery slope

Garage
Stop driving the car
Check the water pump and hoses
you can get a look at it by pulling the carpet behind the seats and removing the access panel
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump.htm

probably not the head gasket

if its the water pump. its a reasonably easy DIY

Water pump, Thermostat, and coolant will cost you $350-400

Or you can have an indy shop do it, probubly add $300-400

What part of San Diego are you in? There are a lot of good shops that will not rip you off here
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 09-17-2015 at 04:32 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Stop driving the car
Check the water pump and hoses
you can get a look at it by pulling the carpet behind the seats and removing the access panel
Porsche Boxster Water Pump and Thermostat Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

probably not the head gasket

if its the water pump. its a reasonably easy DIY

Parts and coolant will cost you $350-400

Or you can have an indy shop do it, probubly add $300-400

What part of San Diego are you in? There are a lot of good shops that will not rip you off here
I'm from La Jolla/UTC
Old 09-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #27
On the slippery slope

Garage
If your trunk is dry, its not likely to be the coolant tank
Was the tank empty?
The water pump is on the front of the engine on the passenger side, so a leak there could be by the tire
There are several plastic covers on the bottom that can redirect water from where it is leaking
If you remove the front one, its pretty easy, you will need a 10mm socket and a torx screwdriver. You may see where it is actually leaking from

Just be careful as the coolant will be hot and can burn you if the car is all warmed up

There is a very good indy just off Miramar road
Mirage Intl - Porsche parts and tuning

another excellent shop is
Black Forest Porsche/BMW/Mini | Your Dealer Alternative

You could also go to Porsche of San Diego on Miramar Rd. My guess it would cost you more there

I would see if you can figure out what is leaking and if it is the water pump and you have the time, DIY

Both shops are PCA members and may offer a PCA discount
Yo can join PCA for $46

Last edited by JayG; 09-17-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #28

Quote:
There is a very good indy just off Miramar road
Mirage Intl - Porsche parts and tuning

another excellent shop is
Black Forest Porsche/BMW/Mini | Your Dealer Alternative

You could also go to Porsche of San Diego on Miramar Rd. My guess it would cost you more there

I would see if you can figure out what is leaking and if it is the water pump and you have the time, DIY

Both shops are PCA members and may offer a PCA discount
Yo can join PCA for $46
Thank you!!
Old 09-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #29
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Stop driving the car
That is certainly good advice. Both the water pump and the rear overflow hose dump water by the right rear tire. So, the pump could be leaking, or the car is getting really hot and the pressure is causing the coolant to dump out of the overflow. When I rebuilt my engine I had coolant blow out the rear overflow after initially filling it with coolant. That was likely due to air in the system. Has the coolant been changed or drained and replaced recently? Is the coolant green or pink?
Old 09-17-2015, 05:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
That is certainly good advice. Both the water pump and the rear overflow hose dump water by the right rear tire. So, the pump could be leaking, or the car is getting really hot and the pressure is causing the coolant to dump out of the overflow. When I rebuilt my engine I had coolant blow out the rear overflow after initially filling it with coolant. That was likely due to air in the system. Has the coolant been changed or drained and replaced recently? Is the coolant green or pink?
I bought the car few weeks ago i dont know. The coolant is green

Last edited by Vanya; 09-17-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #31
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya View Post
I bought the car few days ago i dont know. The coolant is green
So you likely have "coolant pudding" instead of coolant. The car uses pink coolant from the factory. Dumping in green prestone causes a chemical reaction that thickens the coolant making it unable to efficiently cool the car.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:41 PM   #32
Beginner

Garage
Anyone familiar with how to get a positive diagnosis and clean up this mess?
Old 09-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #33
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
So you likely have "coolant pudding" instead of coolant. The car uses pink coolant from the factory. Dumping in green prestone causes a chemical reaction that thickens the coolant making it unable to efficiently cool the car.
That's not completely correct. There has also been green factory coolant. Porsche has also used yellow. The current color is pink

I just changed my WP and coolant and what came out was green and it was factory coolant
Old 09-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #34
Beginner

Garage
[QUOTE=JayG;466485]That's not completely correct. There has also been green factory coolant. Porsche has also used yellow. The current color is pink

I just changed my WP and coolant and what came out was green and it was factory coolant[/QUOTE

And my 2003 was pink. No idea if it was factory though as I was not the original owner. So, do you know how to determine if it is coolant intermix?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:04 PM   #35
On the slippery slope

Garage
Porsche has made their coolant in Green, yellow and pink. All of them are factory and OK for the car and even to mix.
So you could end up with orange or other colors depending on what was mixed

In my case, I have service records for the car and the coolant had never been changed. Green is what they put in in Stuttgart, at least in my 04
Old 09-18-2015, 02:28 AM   #36
Beginner

Garage
Vanya, sorry for the back and forth on coolant, it does not help you get your car running. The fact is if you mix the coolant commonly available with US cars and the coolant that is specified for your Boxster, the result is the two coolants can react and form a gel. If this has happened to your car the gel has to be cleaned out of the cooling system. I don't know the procedure for doing that. I was hoping a forum member with that knowledge would respond. Keep this in mind if your water pump checks out good.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:26 PM   #37

Garage
overheating

Before doing engine cooling maintainance my 2000 s it ran a little over 180*
The car has 61k so thought it time for water pump, thermostate, and coolant renew.
I also cleaned the radiators.. Also put gutter screens over the opening holes,,,the holes are about 1/2"in the screens.
After my hard work, my car runs halfway between 180* tick and the one above that whatever that is 220*??????
I followed the directions from 101 projects.
Did I not get all the air out???????? How do I proceed???
Thank you this is a great resource
Pat
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #38

Garage
overheating

Several things a failed to mention,
New rad cap,
Also battery died and lost all my gauges.
Removed ground after bleeding system. Restored my gauges
Only put 4 1/2 gallons of coolant in.
maybe a valve didn't open and now has air trapped??
Any ideas on how to proceed are welcomed.
Thanks again
Pat
PatM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #39

Garage
Your car is not running hot, it is running hotter than what most consider normal temp. To say that every Boxster should be running with the needle on 8 or 0 is not accurate. I've owned my '99 for six years and it consistently runs at the right side of the 0 when warmed up. Depending on ambient temp or how hard I'm driving it or a grade it will go to where yours is in the picture and I've had no failures due to temperature.
There is an easier way to test your front fans, let the car warm up and pull it into a dirt field, if you see dust coming up from both front sides they're working and believe me you'll know. Also you should be able to hear your engine fan running when the car warms up and it is located on the passenger side and sounds like a vacuum cleaner when running.
It is a good idea to clean your radiators and condensers as they do accumulate debris and if you do decide to change out the water pump put a new thermostat in as well.
You'll soon find out that the internet is full of owners who recommend to blindly start replacing parts only to find out later that the cause of their problem was something else and they've spent a lot of wasted money.
Find a good independent mechanic that can use Porsche equipment to diagnose problems and see what they have to say. Most will diagnose without charging you then you can decide if you want to tackle repairs and or maintenance yourself or pay them to do it.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #40

Does my Boxster have an oil pressure gauge?

Oops. wrong thread. Sorry.

Last edited by FauxDiablo; 07-15-2016 at 09:15 PM. Reason: wrong thread.
FauxDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote