Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 05:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_porsche View Post
Pffft. $6K in 18 months? That's bush league spending right there. You're getting off easy so far
Desert Porsche, you joke, but you are not wrong.

I've got roughly $40k in my 1997 Boxster including the low purchase price of $15k way back in 2003.

And the motor was replaced a couple of months before purchase.

It was all smaller stuff to fix and enhance the appearance outside of the used tranny I had installed on the motor ($2200).

These are hobby cars. I doubt I could get $8k out of my car as it sits, even with all the upgrades I've made to the interior and exterior and exhaust and suspension and the fact that it fires up every time and is as dependable a car as the day is long.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Thanks guys. The one thing the shop owner said that made me feel good about my Boxster is that he thinks its one of the best Boxsters he's seen both cosmetically and mechanicly in a long time. That was good to hear from someone that see's alot of Pcars (he had about 40 in the shop when mine was in, everything from 356s to the latest Pcars).
Its mostly a typical comment from regular folks when they ask what is the NEW car I bought.

They are flabbergasted when I tell them its 14 years old, and then speechless when I mention its a Porsche.

Makes you proud to have washed/waxed your car to a mirror finish, and not have any place for food/drink helps keep the interior spotless.

The only nasty going on is the vinyl rear window thats browned a tad and is now getting tears at the edges/seams.

Thats the next project.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 03-26-2015 at 05:45 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #23

Can you please share more into on this?

Quote:

Professional ding removal (worth every penny)
I have 3 dings that perhaps can only be seen by my eye, given the right light. But I know where they are and I can see them in my sleep. (Live in Mesa)
Silver_Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Slug View Post
I have 3 dings that perhaps can only be seen by my eye, given the right light. But I know where they are and I can see them in my sleep. (Live in Mesa)
There are a bunch of companies in the valley that do dent removal but I only found one that was willing to make the effort to get to those hard to reach and fix dents (rear fender edge). They go by the name Colors on the Run and their shop is not too far from the Broadway curve. A few just said they couldn't do it and they made it a personal challenge to get them all.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #25
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
The picture I posted above your post I got from a for sale ad. The asking price is only $5,600.

1978 911SC Sunroof Coupe - A spectacular, original, low mileage example, Used Classic Porsche For Sale
This is what a real $7,500 911SC looks like... (be forewarned; it ain't pretty)

no bumpers
no door handles
broken windshield
trashed interior
Oh, and it has no engine or transmission

1978 Porsche 911SC
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #26
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Crappy photo of a photo. She too was a money pit. Pop off valve, chain tensioner upgrade, transmission rebuilt, ignition lock, etc. One thing I've learned is that pretty much all Porsches have expensive to fix weaknesses. She was a looker.

Beautiful! Were those wheels stock factory wheels?
Old 03-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
When you plan on keeping the car, the numbers are meaningless. I'm putting $2,700 into wheels and tires, another $2,200 into exhaust upgrades. I plan on keeping the car until it rust away, which I don't think will be happening soon as there is zero rust on it right now, interior is in perfect shape too, almost like the car is in a time capsule.
I plan to keep the car for a very long time too. I've done many mechanical repairs, many of which are in OP's list to make sure the car runs well forever. However, my biggest fear is that if I spend a lot of money (because parts ain't cheap) to make the Boxster mechanically sound and such, and some idiot runs into my car one day and totals it, it'll be a big loss to me. The Boxster's current market value doesn't reflect the true cost of the car or how much it's worth to us.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:38 PM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Its mostly a typical comment from regular folks when they ask what is the NEW car I bought.

They are flabbergasted when I tell them its 14 years old, and then speechless when I mention its a Porsche.

Makes you proud to have washed/waxed your car to a mirror finish, and not have any place for food/drink helps keep the interior spotless.

The only nasty going on is the vinyl rear window thats browned a tad and is now getting tears at the edges/seams.

Thats the next project.
When my colleague the other day asked how old mine was he nearly fell over when i said 11 years this year, he commented that it looked as good as a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Slug View Post
I have one under my door mirror which my eye draws too every time i look at the car. The dent ppl tell me its in a position they can't access, but i don't know if i believe it.

Last edited by M4SGK1986; 03-26-2015 at 01:42 PM.
M4SGK1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #29

I bought a 2001 Boxster non S just before Thanks Giving and have already put 2K into it but it was partially by choice. IMS bearing cuz it I had an oil leak and it made me nervous, coolant tank cuz I could smell coolant, new clutch cuz I was there, and belts for the same reason. I love this car but my only regret is I didn't wait and get the "S".
Dyno50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #30

Garage
There are thing that do you no good to think about. This is one that I don't want to calculate because if I did I could have easily bought a nearly new car over the coarse of the last 5 years. The bottom line is if I had I would have been nervous about going to the track as much as I did. Possibly I could not have afforded to do that in the end. The car has pretty much always been paid off. Which to start with means that I have $250 a month available to put back into mods and repairs with no real concern.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:43 AM   #31

Garage
what newart said