Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #1

Locked out!

Hey folks, I need your advice on as I am getting close to the last option of potentially breaking my window . 2001 boxster.

I locked the car and left it on my driveway for more than 5 days unattended. The key lock on my driver's door is broken - key wont turn left or right. I normally park in the garage unlocked or if I lock the vehicle I just use the key remote. I have never locked my car for more than a few hours.

Right now, the key remote will not work - (light on the key fob does work when button is pressed).

I do have access to the frunk because I luckily did the hack to thread the cable through my tow hook. However, I am not sure how this will help me as I need to get into the car.

Called AAA and they stated that this is a "dealer issue" and thus won't slim jim the door.

The car is in Southern California. Anyone know of a locksmith? I can't be the only one that has ever encountered this problem!

I have done a couple of Google searches on this topic, but those threads appear to focused on getting into the frunk.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
Luckyed

Garage
How about the key lock in the passenger's side door?
Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
Charge the battery since you have access to it.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #4

My car does not have a passenger side door lock to insert the key into.

I forgot to mention that AAA hooked up their charger/ jumper cables to my battery to see if that would allow my keyfob to unlock the doors (not successful)...
Old 02-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #5

Do you have a second keyfob to try? Have you checked the battery in the fob itself? Yes, the light is coming on, but that doesn't mean it has enough power to send a signal that the car will accept.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
You may have to have a locksmith jimmy the lock. Another option may be to pry the passenger window out slightly so that you can fit a dowel rod through to press the dash lock switch (I think it unlocks the doors, but I've never tried).
Old 02-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Do you have a second keyfob to try? Have you checked the battery in the fob itself? Yes, the light is coming on, but that doesn't mean it has enough power to send a signal that the car will accept.
Try this! I had same issue with my key FOB new battery and magically the doors open wide
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

Both my key FOBs act the same way. The LED lights, but won't lock or unlock the car. What happens is that the soldering connections get tired after awhile. The LED is on a separate circuit than the radio.

Try this. Carefully open the key FOB and remove the electronics including the battery. You can bend back the rubber part of the key back so it should come out easily. Then carefully push the button that opens the car. What happens is that the slight pressure that you put on the battery as you press the button should be enough to close the contact.

Good luck!
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Charge the battery since you have access to it.
I would do this first as the battery just may be too discharged to unlock the door.

Does the trunk light come on when you open the trunk?
'76 BMW R75/6
'73 Honda Scrambler
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #10

If the car sits more than 5 days, the remote unlock functionality is disabled and you must use the key to unlock the door. Then you can press the unlock button on the key and it is active again. (I always thought you had to put it in the ignition and turn it to re-activate the remote unlocking)

To the OP, maybe you can insert the key and turn it like you are locking/unlocking the door, and then try the remote again? Even if the unlocking portion is broken maybe it will still activate? (Although I imagine you have probably run through a lot of combinations of turning the key and pressing buttons already)

From the manual: (2000 Model Year)

Ugg I just read this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenheckler View Post
- key wont turn left or right.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If the car sits more than 5 days, the remote unlock functionality is disabled and you must use the key to unlock the door.

Good call. Try disconnecting the battery, then reconnect and that should reset the radio receiver.
newBgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:01 PM   #12
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You may have to have a locksmith jimmy the lock. Another option may be to pry the passenger window out slightly so that you can fit a dowel rod through to press the dash lock switch (I think it unlocks the doors, but I've never tried).
This will unlock the door if the battery isn't dead. I had to do it last summer.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If the car sits more than 5 days, the remote unlock functionality is disabled and you must use the key to unlock the door. Then you can press the unlock button on the key and it is active again. (I always thought you had to put it in the ignition and turn it to re-activate the remote unlocking)

To the OP, maybe you can insert the key and turn it like you are locking/unlocking the door, and then try the remote again? Even if the unlocking portion is broken maybe it will still activate? (Although I imagine you have probably run through a lot of combinations of turning the key and pressing buttons already)

From the manual: (2000 Model Year)
I have to go through this routine every Saturday on my weekender Boxster. This is exactly why your fob isn't working. My 99s have a passenger lock. When did they quit doing that? Never tried unhooking the battery to see if it would reset, but that sounds like the most reasonable next step, before trying to find a good locksmith or the dowel rod idea. (how hard is it to pry that window out with it shoved up in the channel?)

Last edited by Retroman1969; 02-04-2015 at 03:26 AM.
Retroman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by newBgeek View Post
Good call. Try disconnecting the battery, then reconnect and that should reset the radio receiver.
If that works, that would be awesome!

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #15
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
I have to go through this routine every Saturday on my weekender Boxster. This is exactly why your fob isn't working. My 99s have a passenger lock. When did they quit doing that? Never tried unhooking the battery to see if it would reset, but that sounds like the most reasonable next step, before trying to find a good locksmith or the dowel rod idea. (how hard is it to pry that window out with it shoved up in the channel?)
It is easy to pull the window out. I just used a wedge to slowly pop it out. Also I forgot to mention that if the alarm is armed the button on the dash may not work. But what will work is to use the inside door handle. You will most likely have to pull it twice for the door to open. I used a bar that a police man let me borrow. He didn't want to be held responsible if something broke, so he let me do it. He was worried that the car was super expensive lol.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #16

I ended up calling Porsche Roadside assistance (1-800-Porsche) and had them suggest a company who could get into the car.

They used the wedge and bladder (balloon) method to pry my driver side window apart, insert the balloon, and then use a long handled hook to pull my door handle. Didn't try the dashboard unlock button. I also did not need to jump the battery.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know since AAA was not useful for me this time.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:44 AM   #17

Locked out of the car after 5 days

Call out and got in. Took 45 mins and first attempts pulling the door handles did not work. Second attempt - having again ballooned the window - tape the ignition key on the end of another rod and managed to turn on - to hard to get a purchase on the window buttons to press down and using a second rod to hit the central locking button on the****dash****opened****it

Sid - Aka - UK is offline   Reply With Quote