Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2015, 05:56 AM   #1

Garage
GT3 Delete and Racing Seat

Well, its finally come to the time that I realize that driving the Boxster with its stock seat is no longer comfortable for me. At 6'5, I'm all in this thing.(btw I was an inch shorter when I got it a year ago, still growing) And I'm pretty sure I look ridiculous with the top down (top of head almost extends over windshield) But nevertheless, I refuse to go the way of all my high school friends who drive trucks and for some reason think that they're sports cars. (I get asked to race on the daily) So I'm going to do the GT3 console delete and install a racing seat mounted directly to the floor. I know there's room in this car. Its just about finding it. I sat on the floor when I had the seat out to work on the stereo and almost couldn't see over the steering wheel. I know how to do the GT3 delete, at least it seems straightforward. But the question is seatbelts. Can I use my stock seatbelts with an aftermarket seat? I want to keeo this as clean and as stock as possible, and have no use for harnesses. I also don't want an airbag light. Pics of the seat attatched. I haven't checked the measurement yet, but I will when I get home.

OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #2

Will be curious to see how the seat change works for you. I just did the the GT3 console delete and it adds a lot of room of leg room. At 6'4" room is tight and making that change has made a world of difference in terms of comfort and in the ability to heal and toe. Before it was akward at best. Good luck.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:52 AM   #3

you'll need side mount brackets for the seat (unless it is a bottom mount, but probably not) which are typically seat specific so check with your seat vendor. then you'll need something to attach the side mount brackets to the floor. depending on width of the seat you can use one of these:

http://www.bkauto.com/category_s/121.htm

otherwise something more universal like this:

http://www.statusracing.com/catalog/p132619/Planted-Driver-Seat-Bracket-Porsche-Boxster/Cayman-96+-/product_info.html

uncertain if you want sliders? they will add a couple of inches to the whole assembly. depending on width you may be able to use your oem sliders (with the bk floor mount bracket above) otherwise a universal set from the same vendor as the universal floor mount bracket.

otherwise, typically the side mount bracket will have a provision for attaching your seatbelt receptacle so all good there (the hardware is universal so everything should bolt up). depending on year of your car you may have an airbag sensor in the seat which would require a computer to deactivate otherwise cel.

Last edited by The Radium King; 01-12-2015 at 06:59 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #4

as long as you disconnect the battery before you even start pulling out the seat and then use the connector when you reinstall the seat and seat belt belt connector before you reconnect the battery, you will be fine for the airbag light. I think there is a DIY here on the forum.

Too bad you wasn't closer, I have a GT3 rep seat that has been sitting in my basement for 3 years, you could give it a try to see if you like it...
mump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:10 AM   #5

I looked up your seat and it is a bottom mount unit. they appear to have a universal adaptor so you should be able to mount direct to the floor or to your oem seat sliders. not sure what you could mount your seatbelt receptacle on, however - probably have to fabricate a bracket of some sort (can't recall if the oem mounting boss is part of the seat or the slider assembly ...). in all honesty, the mounting hardware they sell (and the seat) look very cheap - do a gut check and make sure you want to trust your personal safety to something that has not been made to any sort of standard for quality or safety (ie, fia, sfi, etc.).

Last edited by The Radium King; 01-12-2015 at 07:45 AM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #6

Garage
Thanks for your help so far, and I will not be using sliders. And I will most likely fabricate brackets.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Eeeesh that looks like a very uncomfortable seat for driving around town. Have a look at GT3 seats, Cobra seats, and Recaro for some other ideas that might suit you better. If you are going to fabricate mounting brackets and seatbelt attachment points make sure they are very robust with backing plates. You don't want to get ejected in a crash.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Eeeesh that looks like a very uncomfortable seat for driving around town. Have a look at GT3 seats, Cobra seats, and Recaro for some other ideas that might suit you better. If you are going to fabricate mounting brackets and seatbelt attachment points make sure they are very robust with backing plates. You don't want to get ejected in a crash.
I think anything will be better than my current uncomfortable position. I don't drive more than 15 minutes at time, and im pretty much the only one who drives the car. I'll buy one seat, try it out for a little, then if I like it I'll go ahead and replace the passenger seat. And I hadn't thought about the safety, good point on that.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

In regards to the stock seatbelt, you should be able to continue to use it with a couple of provisos;

First, depending on the width of the seat, it can be hard getting the stock seat buckle into the stock receptacle with a tall-sided aftermarket seat. The problem is that the receptacle will now be below the level of the base of the seat rather than sticking up above the base with the stock seat. This can make it hard to insert the buckle properly because the receptacle is wedged between the seat side and the center console. You'll get used to it quickly but anyone else driving the car is likely to struggle a bit.

Second, how the stock seat belt fits you in the new seat is important for obvious safety reasons. The seat pictured is fairly deep and if you are thin, then the stock belt may only touch the high sides of the seat and stretch across the front without really touching your hips/waist. That is not how the stock 3-pt belt was designed to fit and may be a safety concern.

Third, in regards to comfort, I understand your dilemma but you'll have to haul your butt up and over that tall seat side every time that you get in/out. Again, you'll get used to it but someone else may find it annoying.

And lastly, as you lift and maneuver your butt to get in/out, you will invariably rub against the drivers side bolster each time and that will greatly accelerate the wear on that portion of the seat. Depending on the material, it can wear through rather quickly.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-12-2015 at 12:30 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #10

The stock belts can be routed through the lower holes in the side of the seat, that will let the belt fit tight against your hips. Just remove the lower bolt that holds the telescoping belt, route belt thru seat hole, and re-attach.
The stock sliders are very tall. If you want sliders, I suggest taking a look at Recaro sliders which are the lowest ones I could find. They will need an adapter, which Brey-Krause sells.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #11

Garage
Maybe a better quality choice. Looks more low profile. Maybe I'll pony up.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBoxster View Post
Maybe a better quality choice. Looks more low profile. Maybe I'll pony up.
Also FIA approved
Old 01-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spendy View Post
The stock belts can be routed through the lower holes in the side of the seat, that will let the belt fit tight against your hips. Just remove the lower bolt that holds the telescoping belt, route belt thru seat hole, and re-attach.
Interesting, do you happen to have photo of what this ends up looking like? Especially interested in the how the buckle goes into the stock receptacle after going through the hole in the center console side of the seat. Do you have to route it through the side hole each time? Thanks!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-13-2015 at 07:26 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:20 PM   #14

Have a look at seats designed for the lotus Elise. They have shallower sides which will help entry, egress, and buckle access.
jimk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:22 PM   #15

jimk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:57 PM   #16

Garage
Ordered the Sparco Sprint seat last night from Summit Racing. Expecting it Thursday-ish of next week. Will follow up with pics of the seat in the car and how I decide to do the brackets and seatbelts. Thanks for the help so far guys!
Old 02-13-2015, 05:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk04 View Post
Have a look at seats designed for the lotus Elise. They have shallower sides which will help entry, egress, and buckle access.
My son just put a pair of takeoff Lotus Elise in his Miata. (He paid for it all himself, it is interesting how motivated they can be at certain times...) Very nice. After about a week he took them out and remove the stock centers and fabricated up some more substantial padding. Those are some thin seats. Very nice though.

Last edited by steved0x; 02-13-2015 at 05:16 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #18

If you're going to be doing this for a car driven daily, I would highly recommend that you get the GT3 seat and install the Brey Krause to lower the seat or buy a very high end aftermarket seat, no cheap stuff. The GT3 seats at least passed some crash testing in Germany (stock seats in the US must adjust/recline to pass, so they didn't come stock) and the Germans are not lax about anything car-related.
Too many of the budget priced aftermarket racing seats were intended for limited use at a track/autocross where the types of accidents you'll see are very different than what you find on the open road. Many of those are made with very low grade metals that will bend like a Pepsi can around and into you in a serious crash. A seat is safety equipment just like your airbags, don't pinch pennies here.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:18 AM   #19

Lol... @ 6'5", you're simply too tall/big for the Boxster. Let me know how it goes w/ the new seat.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
Lol... @ 6'5", you're simply too tall/big for the Boxster. Let me know how it goes w/ the new seat.
I knew a former NFL player here in NJ. He's 6-6 and used to drive a 996 every day. Granted, 6-5 and up and you are not passing a broom stick test. Actually my friend's kid brother is 6-2 and his head was over the windshield header too even in my GT3 seats which sit about an 1-2" lower than the stock seat in their lowest position.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote