Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: How often do you hit the rev limiter
Everyday 5+ occurances 1 1.27%
Everyday 9 11.39%
Sometimes 16 20.25%
Rarely 29 36.71%
Never, its a Porsche why would I hurt it like that 24 30.38%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2014, 06:06 AM   #41

I hit the limiter now and again in 1st because its geared a bit lower than feels right.

As I have improved in my shifting after driving 6+ months I rarely hit the limiter unless I take it there on purpose.

I read that the 1st gear was set rather low to help with torque on launching since if your tires stick you will accelerate faster with all the available torque from a stop.

I find that true as I like to do max performance takes-offs from a light when Im out front. I find that I am usually across the intersection before the car behind me has even moved 5'. (Yes, I check cross traffic and red light runners carefully before doing so and don't exceed the posted limit by more than 10% in Urban areas)

Having the Rev limiter on shifting up prevents bad over revs but its the downshifts that can drive your revs above the limiter and theres nothing the limiter can do about it. Those are the range 2 revs and are going to effect the engines longevity, and are considered abuse for those buying a pre-owned Boxster.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:25 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Having the Rev limiter on shifting up prevents bad over revs but its the downshifts that can drive your revs above the limiter and theres nothing the limiter can do about it. Those are the range 2 revs and are going to effect the engines longevity, and are considered abuse for those buying a pre-owned Boxster.
I wonder, I guess if you were to downshift and force the engine into a Range 2 overrev , if the computer could engage the clutch or apply braking to the wheels to get the revs quickly down, but either of those could cause a crash especially if you were on the track driving at the limit, and I guess engine damage is better than a crash.

There was a video on here I think with someone on the track that was at redline in 4th and then accidentally shifted to 3rd instead of 5th causing an overrev to 10,000 RPM. The voiceover said "Noooooo". I sure hope I never do that...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 AM   #43

Never. I'm pretty strict about allowing the oil to come up to temp. Which means high revs on short trips is out.

When I used to autocross on a regular basis this meant getting up early to allow for enough warming up time. On the street, there's usually too much traffic to do much.
And revving the crap out of the engine at 30 mph isn't too appealing to me.
I think the Miata is the right car for that. Nor is speeding in straight lines very interesting.
When you think about it a Porsche is overkill for most of the driving that can be allowed legally or traffic wise.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-18-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #44

Garage
Bounced the limiter 3 times this morning after a few heat cycles on my daily commute
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #45

Garage
I hit it occasionally most often in first or second. I rarely hit the limiter on track I think because I watch the gauges closer when on the track than when I'm around town.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #46

Garage
Does any one know the count are for every time the car has hit the limiter or every spark of a cylinder at the rev-limiter?
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #47

Garage
Its definitely not the first one.

I cant remember if it is crank revolutions at the revlimiter, or cylinder ignitions at rev limiter
Old 09-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #48

three times in first gear over seven years.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 02:59 AM   #49

I occasionally do, only is first gear, while playing & getting it sideways.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #50
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Does any one know the count are for every time the car has hit the limiter or every spark of a cylinder at the rev-limiter?
the count you get is ignitions
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:04 AM   #51
2 fast 4 U

I rarely do but once in awhile you get that perfect stretch of road and there is a song that comes on the radio and you just can't help yourself your foot just starts pushing that gas pedal and there is nothing you can do about it. When this happens you realize what an amazing car the Boxster is.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
I think I would put it like this: nailing the throttle 100% from 0 mph and hitting rev limiter is probably 100% load and the worst case in terms of something bad possibly happening and is mostly for Justin beiber and other immature youngins.

The rev limiter behavior I frequently see is slow takeoff rpms up to 4k then giving 100% throttle up to redline and holding throttle at 100% through second and third. Obviously you are going pretty fast by then, but luckily my commute has lots of metering lights and on ramps. It just feels nice to grab those extra few hundred rpms up to the limiter; it's like 'stretching' the legs of the engine..for lack of a better expression
What oil are you using? I hope it's 'super duper stuff'!
Old 09-20-2014, 04:51 PM   #53

What happens when you floor it in neutral? Maybe the OP can help.

Rick
SoCalBlackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #54

1st never; 2nd sometimes; 3rd oh yeah! And then I ease off because here in the UK we have speed limits But I do love it in third and run up to 6.5 before shifting. Fun!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #55

Garage
I guess I don't get the whole bouncing off the rev limiter is cool thing. I'm thinking maybe this started from video games that have you hold the throttle down to the rev limiter all the time so the younger crowed started thinking it sounds cool. I think the drifting people do it a lot to. Most people do not think it sounds cool. It sounds like someone who doesn't know how to shift or missed a gear. Have fun with that I hope you have deep pockets for the rebuild. Engines are not designed for any longevity under those conditions. Yes I do bring my car up to 5k to 6k on most drives and love sound and feel but as soon as the power starts to fade you shift. You don't keep holding the pedal down until there is nothing left. There is no gained whatsoever in doing that.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #56

Garage
Well, my opinion stands...the difference between 6k and 6.5k is moot for the amount of time we are each staying at these high RPMs.

I 'bounce' the rev limiter once or twice, then switch gears. No, I do not hit the rev limiter without load on the engine.

I like to make sure my 60 mile commute a day isn't only filled with 3k rpm driving for extended periods of time.

I suppose you will also have something to say if I tell you I don't garage my boxster and that I drive it in the rain? I enjoy my car the most while driving it the way I do, I thinks its as simple as that.

Last edited by epapp; 09-25-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #57

dr. science says ...

torque at wheels = flywheel torque * gear ratio
using the torque curve for a 987 that I found online, torque peaks at 4500 rpm (360 NM) stays flat to 5500 rpm, then drops to redline at 7000 rpm (280 NM).

here is a chart that shows gear, ratio (taken from california motorsports website for a 986S 6-speed transmission) wheel torque at max rpm, and wheel torque at max torque:

1 3.818 1069 1274
2 2.200 616 792
3 1.516 424 546
4 1.216 340 438
5 1.024 287 369
6 0.841 235 303

so, if you compare wheel torque at max rpm to wheel torque at max torque in the next higher gear (ie, an upshift at 7000 vs an upshift at 5500 with rpm drop to 4500 to 'stay in the power band') you'll see that this produces less power in 1st and 2nd gear than staying to redline. the upshifts from 3rd, 4th and 5th are a wash and most likely eclipsed by the loss in power to the ground during this shifting process.

dr. science says hit the rev limiter.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #58

Garage
Inb4 long discussion on proper gear shifting technique..

That makes sense. I think the short way to put it: in this car, with those gear ratios, staying up to redline in first and second will keep you in the torque band LONGER overall than if you were to shift at the maximum torque of first and second gear.

Obviously highly dependent on shift speed, clutching, driving conditions, but good to know what I am enjoying doing for recreation (note: not for racing, 0-60 time, or first prize in shifting) is also mathematically (conditions permitting) producing the most overall torque.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #59

cool cool! Engineer to win...So that's why the big teams have engineers.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by epapp View Post
Well, my opinion stands...the difference between 6k and 6.5k is moot for the amount of time we are each staying at these high RPMs.

I 'bounce' the rev limiter once or twice, then switch gears. No, I do not hit the rev limiter without load on the engine.

I like to make sure my 60 mile commute a day isn't only filled with 3k rpm driving for extended periods of time.

I suppose you will also have something to say if I tell you I don't garage my boxster and that I drive it in the rain? I enjoy my car the most while driving it the way I do, I thinks its as simple as that.
Its a simple point being made. If you know anything about cars, you don't hit the rev limiter on purpose. Its childish really.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote